• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

[0.6.0 Hotfix 4c] gold piles are moved to the border when building a vault

Jul 27, 2014
Parts Unknown
Instead of getting directly placed in the vault (and getting added to your money) gold piles are getting arranged at the border if a vault is built.

Picture before:
There is some free room with gold piles on the ground:
2014-12-30_00004.jpg

Picture after:
Gold piles are now moved to the border-tile. The imps have to put them in the vault manually.
2014-12-30_00005.jpg

v0id

Programmer
Brightrock Games
Nov 18, 2011
Germany
This is intented and is done for every room build, since it assures no gold piles get burried below props.

Huntress
WFTO Founder
Apr 20, 2012
Worthing, West Sussex
Great to hear that! Is it even possible to lay down a gold pile on a full vault and it gets "absorbed" when the vault isn´t full anymore?
I'm in 2 minds about whether this should even be possible, if it was, you would essentially be able to have infinite gold storage by just placing gold piles on top of full vaults.

Unless there was some sort of mechanic that made that a bad idea, such as your own units picking up loose gold if it is just left lying around. you could make it so certain units pick up 100% of loose gold they walk over in enemy territory and maybe just a fraction of loose gold in your own territory, or no man's land? this would give incentive to not leave gold lying around.

Jul 27, 2014
Parts Unknown
Well it worked at least in DK II that way.
And you can have unlimited money even without this change because of the gold shrines, so it wouldn´t really affect the gameplay too much in my opinion. You only don´t need any imps to place it correctly then.

Huntress
WFTO Founder
Apr 20, 2012
Worthing, West Sussex
Well it worked at least in DK II that way.
And you can have unlimited money even without this change because of the gold shrines, so it wouldn´t really affect the gameplay too much in my opinion. You only don´t need any imps to place it correctly then.
I suppose, but I still think there needs to be a disadvantage to mining gold too quickly/not having a big enough vault. Vaults hold quite a lot of gold and are pretty cheap, so there's really no good reason (other than space) to not have a big enough vault, but a mechanic to encourage building a big enough vault would be nice.

If it were not too late in development, I might have suggested props like other rooms that can hold say 10k securely, and all other gold (with a very high limit, perhaps 5-10k per square) is stored around the props, and counted as your own, however it is insecure and can be stolen by enemies or even your own units if they are unhappy.

Jul 27, 2014
Parts Unknown
Well as a map maker you are already able to make a disadvantage in not placing any gold shrines in your map :D. Then you only have a limited amount of gold and you have to build a bigger vault, because otherwise the gold piles would just lie arround (or you have to stack them manually, which is too much work imho). Or you can place sacred earth arround the gold shrine (so you can´t build a vault arround it).

On the other hand it would probably be better if there is a limit of available gold piles. Because millions of gold piles would surely make a nasty framedrop.

And btw. i really like the idea with unhappy creatures are stealing your gold piles ;)

Feb 1, 2014
I suppose, but I still think there needs to be a disadvantage to mining gold too quickly/not having a big enough vault. Vaults hold quite a lot of gold and are pretty cheap, so there's really no good reason (other than space) to not have a big enough vault, but a mechanic to encourage building a big enough vault would be nice.

If it were not too late in development, I might have suggested props like other rooms that can hold say 10k securely, and all other gold (with a very high limit, perhaps 5-10k per square) is stored around the props, and counted as your own, however it is insecure and can be stolen by enemies or even your own units if they are unhappy.
This idea is great, I hope at least some part of it could be implemented.

Simburgur

Managing Director
Brightrock Games
Nov 10, 2011
Brighton, UK
www.twitter.com
Wouldn't really work out. A long time ago we planned to have 'secure' and 'unsecure' gold by having Gargoyles guard the gold, but we came to the conclusion that having gold-stealing as a gameplay mechanic just wasn't very fun in the grand scheme of things. The game already has so much going on that in the case of gold storage, simpler is better.

Huntress
WFTO Founder
Apr 20, 2012
Worthing, West Sussex
Wouldn't really work out. A long time ago we planned to have 'secure' and 'unsecure' gold by having Gargoyles guard the gold, but we came to the conclusion that having gold-stealing as a gameplay mechanic just wasn't very fun in the grand scheme of things. The game already has so much going on that in the case of gold storage, simpler is better.
so without gold stealing, the point of vaults is?

Feb 1, 2014
I have a another question, whats the point of the gold vortex if it takes almost the same amount of time and gold to claim territory near the vein and build a vault to sell later?

v0id

Programmer
Brightrock Games
Nov 18, 2011
Germany
You need to make it big enough or imps will go far away and you won't get your gold transfered when selling your vault.
Gold vortex does not have these issues, i found it pretty practical.

Huntress
WFTO Founder
Apr 20, 2012
Worthing, West Sussex
You need to make it big enough or imps will go far away and you won't get your gold transfered when selling your vault.
Gold vortex does not have these issues, i found it pretty practical.
even if it is big enough, the workers go to the nearest non-full tile to dump their gold, which could be quite far away (especially in the case of a gold shrine)

Top Bottom