• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

Any other female monster?

JJC

Gnarling
Aug 8, 2014
I really like this game and the huge diversity of enemies and creatures. I really like the succubus due to the high damage and corruption ability, when I realized she was the only evil female creature in the game so far I wanted to ask the developers if they planned on including any other naturally evil female minions (not nesserally humanoid), I am not including corrupted priestresses or heroes, I'm talking about a minion that you get through rituals or portals.

Aug 28, 2014
I can live without exclusively female creature types. What I would like to see, though, is female versions of the other humanoid minions: Cultists, crackpots, gnarlings, and so on. Hell, beastmasters and augres as well, why not?

Triscopic

Crackpot
WFTO Backer
Dec 11, 2012
United Kingdom (Great Britain)
Why not? Basically because it takes up twice as much modelling time for purely cosmetic gains. For a AAA studio that's fine, but honestly why on earth would you want to have something as shallow as a different arrangement of outey and inney bits instead of more units, rooms or powers?

Edit: and besides, everyone knows the chunder is female too.

Fireeye

Augre
WFTO Backer
Dec 30, 2012
Ze Germany
The question is whether you really want to add a female unit into the game for the sake of having another female unit. If you have a concept for a cool creature that so happens to be female (and no, there won't be a Mistress of Pain/Lunatic that just so happens to be stuck in a SM suit), then go ahead and suggest that. If you want you just want to have another female unit due to social justice reaons (this game is sexist!11) or because you need more fanservice, I urge you to rethink.

If it's any consolation the female units in this game are, as a general rule, more powerful than the males (with a few exceptions).

As an added consolation: we would have loved to spend the resources on creating female/male counterparts for all units (that make sense) -- it's just time consuming and expensive (and we don't have the money to spare).
<3

JJC

Gnarling
Aug 8, 2014
The question is whether you really want to add a female unit into the game for the sake of having another female unit. If you have a concept for a cool creature that so happens to be female (and no, there won't be a Mistress of Pain/Lunatic that just so happens to be stuck in a SM suit), then go ahead and suggest that. If you want you just want to have another female unit due to social justice reaons (this game is sexist!11) or because you need more fanservice, I urge you to rethink.
No im asking because i remembered the spider maiden from DK 2 and wondered if they might plan something like her. Honestly I don't care in this kind of game if the characters are male or female, I'm here for the experience and the fun. The only other game that has gotten me as excited as this one is the game "shadow of mordor".

JJC

Gnarling
Aug 8, 2014
If it's any consolation the female units in this game are, as a general rule, more powerful than the males (with a few exceptions).

As an added consolation: we would have loved to spend the resources on creating female/male counterparts for all units (that make sense) -- it's just time consuming and expensive (and we don't have the money to spare).
<3
Will the males have some kind of advantage the females don't? I mean like the succubus has high damage but is fragile so against a juggernaut she generally loses. Will there be male units on par with the females or above? And when you say powerful do you mean in every aspect or just the damage output?

Will the males have some kind of advantage the females don't? I mean like the succubus has high damage but is fragile so against a juggernaut she generally loses.

Unit balance is in no way impacted based on the sex of a unit -- it's determined by their abilities, design, and "power level"*** (determined generally by how costly it is to obtain the unit + how far down the Veins of Evil you have to go before you can acquire the room that attracts them).

*** handwavy term, but it's simple

JJC

Gnarling
Aug 8, 2014

Unit balance is in no way impacted based on the sex of a unit -- it's determined by their abilities, design, and "power level"*** (determined generally by how costly it is to obtain the unit + how far down the Veins of Evil you have to go before you can acquire the room that attracts them).

*** handwavy term, but it's simple
I have one more question if you are allowed to answer, how many more evil creatures are planned to be introduced and are there plans for major changes on some of the existing ones?

RachniKiller

Gargoyle
WFTO Backer
Dec 12, 2012

<3
how much money is it to make a different gender skin for a unit? I've always wondered

I have one more question if you are allowed to answer, how many more evil creatures are planned to be introduced and are there plans for major changes on some of the existing ones?
I'll let @Simburgur answer that one.

how much money is it to make a different gender skin for a unit? I've always wondered
It would require concept art probably (artist), a new model (modeler), new textures (different artist), some new rigging & animation (some could be re-used if the units were built exactly the same... but that's unlikely)

So it's basically: 4 different people working for 1-3 days per unit, it adds up very quickly (especially when we're not done with our current backlog of units) -- you can basically say a weeks worth of work (or less, but a week is generous enough to allow tweaks and changes).

In terms of money -- depends on the hourly/daily rate of all involved and how long it took each person to complete their task(s).

Simburgur

Managing Director
Brightrock Games
Nov 10, 2011
Brighton, UK
www.twitter.com
Well, it depends. For it to be to the quality we want it to be? It would essentially be creating an entirely new unit.
There aren't any more evil units to be revealed, but I think there's one or two good ones. Hard to keep track of what we have and haven't spoken about!

Aug 28, 2014
Ahh, well. That's a shame. Still, I understand it would be a lot of work. It's a pity you didn't just make more of the creature types female from the start.

Simburgur

Managing Director
Brightrock Games
Nov 10, 2011
Brighton, UK
www.twitter.com
Ahh, well. That's a shame. Still, I understand it would be a lot of work. It's a pity you didn't just make more of the creature types female from the start.
We actually made most of the Underlord units relatively gender ambiguous for this reason. The Succubus is clearly female, and the Cultist/Necro are clearly male (and maybe the Vampire), but the rest? Up to your imagination.

Top Bottom