• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.
  • Notice the new look? We've updated to a new version of Xenforo, please read our latest post.

Concentrated Community Effort: The Wiki Project

Noontide

Award Winning Community Manager
Dev Team
Dec 8, 2012
Brighton, UK
Edit: Official news on the subject, We could be seeing an official wiki for WFTO in the near future! I'd suggest everyone holds back on contributing to any unofficial wikis in the meantime! Cheers!

We're actually working on getting one up on our own server, the aim is to have it up at some point in February. I'll let you know when we have more solid info.
The following is depreciated:

Yes, Yes it's me again your old pal Arona... I mean Noontide. So no doubt now you're sat there thinking "Oh god not him again" and sadly I must report yes me again. But yes I'm sure I have a point somewhere oh yes!

With all the information we've been getting from the Devs, the number of test releases we've seen and all sorts of goodies strewn about the internet here and there it's becoming increasingly difficult to keep track of all the information regarding WFTO. To help the Devs and of course ourselves I'm here to suggest that the community embarks on a community lead wiki project in an attempt to catalogue the game as it develops, compiling the information in one place will give us a great reference point and starting sooner rather than later will make it easier on us.

Now I've been taking a look around the past few days and I've located a WFTO Wiki already, the problem is I'm not sure how active the administrator plans to be so "ShadoW" if you're around on here please get in touch it'd be great if we could organise something. Anyway you can find that wiki here.

I've started adding to it, there's a couple of templates now available for Creature and Room info boxes Creature_Info and Room_Info specifically, and I've completed articles for the Lair, Blood Imp and Cultist, you can use those as a basis for other creatures and rooms or improve upon my designs. I'll be trying to add regularly time and university permitting

Now of course if the admin of that wiki doesn't get in touch I'd suggest the effort moves elsewhere so this thread's purpose is two fold. Firstly to try and get in touch with the current administrator of that wiki and secondly to invite community input, We have a lot of great and knowledgeable members out there who I'm sure have been thinking of this already and provided we're not stepping on any toes I think it'll be a great way to collate all our information on this game.

Gentlemen, It's down to you is this something you want to see done and invest in?

Lord of Riva

The Lord
Founder
Dec 29, 2012
Gentlemen, It's down to you is this something you want to see done and invest in?
yes absolutely !

well im not a good writer (in case of english) but i´m good at lists and so on :p

only problem i see is that it may be a little early for this..
we have nearly nothing like stats for creatures , Pictures of rooms and so on ...

we could do some Pre-Alpha Stuff though

Noontide

Dev Team
Dec 8, 2012
Brighton, UK
only problem i see is that it may be a little early for this..
we have nearly nothing like stats for creatures , Pictures of rooms and so on ...

we could do some Pre-Alpha Stuff though
This is exactly my thoughts, We know some details about things as well and there are hints that we've been given and descriptions of things, using this information it's possible to piece together something of a picture at least, of course sometimes there's conjecture in it too. But my thought is if we start now and get all the base stuff in there then it'll be easier to edit with all the gory details later.

Lord of Riva

The Lord
Founder
Dec 29, 2012
hmmm before i post pics though what about the copyrights? are we allowed to post pics and informations in this wiki?

Noontide

Dev Team
Dec 8, 2012
Brighton, UK
Well that'd be up for the Dev's to decide really. I suspect as we're encouraged to post videos on youtube they won't really have a problem with it. But feel free to hold off until we hear from someone official, I'm planning to take it slow while I wait for a response from the current administrator of the wiki.

Lord of Riva

The Lord
Founder
Dec 29, 2012
... i will start to help ... if there is a Problem with that @SG please say so ;)

EDIT:Well never worked with a Wiki before have to read through how to do it first ;)

Jobs2k

Skarg
Backer
Dec 29, 2012
Stevenage, England
www.minecraftforum.net
Isn't it a little too early for a WIKI? I'd wait for a while, maybe till the Bedrock Beta.
It's not to early for the main concept to be instated. As Simburger has said, there is plans for one to exist in February.

Getting the main 'backbone' of the site up and running would only make it easier (also, as stated above) to get information correctly indexed and collated the moment it becomes available. That way we will all be fully versed in its structure when the beta goes live and we can start filling it with information.

I think that a 'slow and steady' approach here will be better than a frantic scrabble to set it all up after the beta is released.
Why rush and risk making many mistakes?

Jan 3, 2013
It's not to early for the main concept to be instated. As Simburger has said, there is plans for one to exist in February.

Getting the main 'backbone' of the site up and running would only make it easier (also, as stated above) to get information correctly indexed and collated the moment it becomes available. That way we will all be fully versed in its structure when the beta goes live and we can start filling it with information.

I think that a 'slow and steady' approach here will be better than a frantic scrabble to set it all up after the beta is released.
Why rush and risk making many mistakes?
Making almost-empty Wiki isn't great too. Perhaps when some more content is added ( end of February/ beginning of March ) it would make more sense.

Noontide

Dev Team
Dec 8, 2012
Brighton, UK
Couldn't have said it better myself Jobs2k, The wealth of information we already have available is fantastic, you've just got to look for it right now and with regular updates every wednesday we'll only be finding out more and more each week. The sooner we start to get this information in one place the better it'll only make it easier to keep it up to date as we go along.

Slichizard I think there's plenty of information out there to stick in the wiki, sure it's not going to be as comprehensive or as technical as some, but it'll be a great start. We can detail the demos that have been shown off, the creatures, rooms, mechanics, and more, getting all this information in one place will be great for people just joining in support for the project as they won't need to look around the internet for hours.

That and the project already has a bit of history, things have been long since removed such as the Bloodling or the Bard or indeed that this was originally going to be set in the Dungeon Keeper IP, little trivia that I personally love to see.

We have to start somewhere, why not sooner rather than later.

Jan 3, 2013
Hmm, guess I'm missing some content due to lack of access to it.

If latest build is so much updated - I see no problem.

Jobs2k

Skarg
Backer
Dec 29, 2012
Stevenage, England
www.minecraftforum.net
Making almost-empty Wiki isn't great too. Perhaps when some more content is added ( end of February/ beginning of March ) it would make more sense.
I completely understand what you are saying, I honestly do. If I was told by a friend to look at a game's wiki and I found that it had very few pages and very little content, I would tell my friend to stop wasting his time. But I would be the first to run back to that site when the game is released as I would want to find out the information as soon as possible, and find that information put in one place by people that actually know the game and play it regularly and completely.

How would the wiki get from 'empty(ish)' to 'bursting with information' if we don't do it?
I would really like to be one of the people that helps detail the information for the people like me in the example above. Get the information in there as it becomes available and it will fill up quite quickly, especially when the development team behind the game are doing everything they can to keep the community informed.
We aren't dealing with the likes of EA here... these guys want our input. Lets show them we really want this game to be the success it deserves to be! What better way to do that than have every bit of information readily available to any new visitor? :)

Top Bottom