• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

DK Mobile = Best for Business?

Mar 5, 2013
Brisbane, Australia
I'm wondering, has anyone else has noticed the sudden influx of new members on the WFTO forum these last couple of weeks? While there are new members coming in all the time I've specifically noticed a lot of people posting their first messages and asking the token DK questions regarding Horned Reaper, Mistress etc.

I can't help but think that DK mobile has had a huge influence on this. I started noticing the increase in membership around the time that the mobile game was officially released. There have even been threads like this one where new members have mentioned DK mobile being the reason they discovered WFTO, due to reviews, comments or other means. It seems like DK mobile has generated a significant interest for WFTO in the gaming community.

While I can't say that an increase in new members on the forum mean that there has also been an increase in sales, it has definitely gotten people talking about it and widening the awareness of interested parties. It seems that DK mobile has been a great advertisement for WFTO at no cost to the developers. That's a win situation right there.

While I can see some downsides to this: Some people may be coming into WFTO expecting a completed product and others have been on the assumption that this is Dungeon Keeper 3 rather than a game that encapsulates the dungeon management concept in it's own take on the genre. Also I think it's been a bit of a frustration for a few members here having to repeat their answers to those commonly asked questions - you know who I'm talking about :p

To put it simply, despite any shortcomings that may have come from it, DK mobile has been great business for you guys.

I apologise if I put this in the wrong section of the forum. It doesn't directly relate to WFTO the game itself but it does involve Subterranean Games the company.

Thanks to whoever fixed it.

Last edited:

Psycix

Dryad
WFTO Founder
Jan 9, 2013
Yes, that connection is definitely there.
Personally, I have been inactive since a while after the kickstarter, and DK mobile reminded me of it and figured it was a good time to check on WFTO; see how far it had progressed by now.
Of course I was instantly hooked to it and decided to actively join the community.

Feb 6, 2014
Poland
dspodcast.pl
I have to confess that because I accidently found DK mobile on my Appstore, and played for an hour or so I was so fed up and tried to search for the DK I was waiting 15 years for, and boom WFTO! Saw some YT videos and bought the Underlord edition. The strange thing is that in 2008 I decided to never play a game on PC, well I couldn't resist :)

Mar 5, 2013
Brisbane, Australia
... in 2008 I decided to never play a game on PC
That's great, I'm guessing from your avatar that you usually play games on xbox? I used to be an xbox player but after having two break down on me I bought a PC.

My housemate knew I was a DK fan and mentioned to me that he read something on reddit about a DK related game being made (might have been Impire). I made a search for DK3 and came across WFTO. Unfortunately it was shortly after the kickstarter campaign concluded so I wasn't able to contribute to it. Of course, I got the underlord edition the moment it was available on steam.

The strange thing about it though was that I said to my housemate "Hey I checked out that DK game you mentioned, it looks pretty awesome." and he said he had no idea what I was talking about :confused:

Perhaps the dark lords sent me a message in my dreams...

Personally, I have been inactive since a while after the kickstarter...
That would have been a pretty exciting update of information. A good time to come back to it too, I've been following all the updates and forum for a fairly long time now which has been great but it took a long time for the playable game to reach an encouraging state. The first couple of beta builds were rather empty and broken.

Last edited:
Feb 6, 2014
Poland
dspodcast.pl
That's great, I'm guessing from your avatar that you usually play games on xbox? I used to be an xbox player but after having two break down on me I bought a PC
Yeah that's almost right :) I had a 2 year break from gaming at all, started a family, have a great 17MO now :) And I even had to left my polish gaming site I was a podcaster in. Well having a kid was such a thing to me that I forgot about the whole world. Yet now, that she's a bit older I have the time to come back and "talk about games",etc.
WFTO is a dream come true for me and I want to advertise it on our site as massively as possible ;)

People here are saying that the DEVs don't want to be seen as a DK continuator, well in my opinion it's the best thing that could be. I'm sure that everyone loved the DK series and WFTO is what we all really wanted :)

Psycix

Dryad
WFTO Founder
Jan 9, 2013
Yeah I bet the timing of this coincides perfectly now that the game is really starting to take shape.
The following proves that the game is very playable: I already played more multiplayer matches of WFTO than DK1... and this is only the beginning.

People here are saying that the DEVs don't want to be seen as a DK continuator, well in my opinion it's the best thing that could be. I'm sure that everyone loved the DK series and WFTO is what we all really wanted
It's simply inevitable. WFTO is built in DK spirit, and that is the most important thing there is to it, so as long as it has the atmosphere right, it'll feel exactly like DK no matter what new creatures or mechanics take place.

Badwolf699

Juggernaut
WFTO Founder
Dec 18, 2011
DK Mobile could just be a test by EA to see fi people really want DK3 and with people going to WFTO it confirms yes they do.

Jan 3, 2013
It's like saying I became rich because there was no food in my flat so I went to the store and found a case with million dollars in it.

Indeed EA's DK Mobile title motivated some people search for alternatives but that surely wasn't intended, it's more like a side effect coming from negative reaction of majority of players.

Anyways, it's not a reason for WFTO members celebrate some sort of ''victory'', there was no conflict to begin with, and lets hope there won't be any in future.

Mar 5, 2013
Brisbane, Australia
It's like saying I became rich because there was no food in my flat so I went to the store and found a case with million dollars in it.
I don't quite understand what you mean there. It's more like Coke creates a new flavour called 'Classic Coke' but as a result people dislike it and start buying loads of Pepsi rather than Coke. That's not a great analogy either but the first thing that came to mind.

Anyways, it's not a reason for WFTO members celebrate some sort of ''victory'', there was no conflict to begin with, and lets hope there won't be any in future.
I'm not saying it's good in a 'we win' way. Just that the end result seems to have benefited the WFTO team, that's the victory here.

Jan 3, 2013
I don't quite understand what you mean there. It's more like Coke creates a new flavour called 'Classic Coke' but as a result people dislike it and start buying loads of Pepsi rather than Coke. That's not a great analogy either but the first thing that came to mind.

I'm not saying it's good in a 'we win' way. Just that the end result seems to have benefited the WFTO team, that's the victory here.
Huge influx of people as you mention in OP caused by quite expected reaction of people who disliked the game. It is EA's own doing but certainly not intended neither by EA or SG. While it's good to get more people in WFTO we should feel a bit sorry towards EA, if they would make game less money-milk oriented, both teams could share the wealth. After all, DK Mobile is for Android, WFTO is for PC, there's no reason for these titles compete for more customers/users.

Mar 5, 2013
Brisbane, Australia
No it's definitely not a planned event by either side. It is possible though that EA saw the money made on the WFTO kickstarter and decided to 'test the water' and see if they could make some money with it. DK Mobile would have been a lot cheaper to create and if people were willing to throw £211,371 at just the idea of a DK-like game then they could perhaps generate a nice profit by delivering an actual DK game (albeit in a different format from the originals).

I think it would be great if the game does well for them. I haven't played it myself, but from what I understand of the gameplay mechanics I have no interest in it. However, casual/mobile gaming is a big market and if other people enjoy it then I'm all for it.

Jan 3, 2013
No it's definitely not a planned event by either side. It is possible though that EA saw the money made on the WFTO kickstarter and decided to 'test the water' and see if they could make some money with it. DK Mobile would have been a lot cheaper to create and if people were willing to throw £211,371 at just the idea of a DK-like game then they could perhaps generate a nice profit by delivering an actual DK game (albeit in a different format from the originals).

I think it would be great if the game does well for them. I haven't played it myself, but from what I understand of the gameplay mechanics I have no interest in it. However, casual/mobile gaming is a big market and if other people enjoy it then I'm all for it.
DK mobile idea appeared much earlier than you may think. With the rise of next gen mobile devices, based on Android and other systems, EA sought to try themselves on new market and used one of their titles ( there's Sims game on mobiles too ). EA's Dungeon Keeper Online title probably was successful in China, witch was considered by EA as a good sign so they tried to do the same in USA/EU but it didn't work out well.

With similar failed approach that pretty much became the reason of Generals title shut down and developer team disband after 3 years of development, it's clear EA's greed is the reason why they are losing customers and dropping very promising titles. At this rate, EA will end up with Sport Simulators as their only source of income since it's the only genre were they can't go super-greedy without completely killing the game.

Top Bottom