• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

Gog users will be disappointed

Oct 17, 2019
I would not have bought the base game and all dlcs on GOG if I had known almost all of the custom content is hosted on steam. Steam will not let me download any of it because I don't own the steam version. All of the "spotlights" point to the steam workshop only. Is it that hard for these maps to be hosted on the foundry? Is there some underhanded steam legal issue getting in the way?

Spodah

Blood Imp
Oct 17, 2019
I just started replaying the game a few days ago, checked for mods(after all, I've already completed the game before) and stumbled right into this issue. As someone who refuses to get Steam on principle, I now feel much less inclined to support you guys in the future, even though I really enjoy WftO.

Jan 3, 2013
GoG users can get custom content from here . You just need to download stuff and put it into your WFTO steam folder. There should be a guide for it somewhere as well.

Do note that Workshop is Steam exclusive. GoG users sadly will get content only by downloading from Foundry Section. Also many map makers poorly support their stuff in Foundry since they need to manually pack their updates and post them here and only very few do that. Tbh, GoG is just more inferior version compared to Steam due to numerous limitations, but since many reject Steam for personal reasons, there's little that can be done about it at moment.

Noontide

Designer / Community Manager
Brightrock Games
Dec 8, 2012
Brighton, UK
I would not have bought the base game and all dlcs on GOG if I had known almost all of the custom content is hosted on steam. Steam will not let me download any of it because I don't own the steam version. All of the "spotlights" point to the steam workshop only. Is it that hard for these maps to be hosted on the foundry? Is there some underhanded steam legal issue getting in the way?
I just started replaying the game a few days ago, checked for mods(after all, I've already completed the game before) and stumbled right into this issue. As someone who refuses to get Steam on principle, I now feel much less inclined to support you guys in the future, even though I really enjoy WftO.
Hi Guys,

Sorry for the late reply. I missed this while I was on sick leave but I think it's definitely worth a response.

I understand the frustration with wanting access to user-generated content on GOG. As you have noticed we leverage the Steam Workshop as a feature on the Steam version of the game and for obvious reasons this is not available on the GOG Version of the game.

I've always been very keen on offering as much support as we can for GOG users and I agree it is very frustrating that so few of the custom levels are made available to you. To that end we put together the foundry so content can be hosted and downloaded by and for GOG users.

Unfortunately, this relies upon the content creators manually uploading their maps onto our forums. Understandably most creators with a few exceptions (Slichizard!) choose not to take the time to do so. This shouldn't reflect poorly on them, unfortunately, the process is more complicated then the few button clicks it takes to upload to the integrated Steam Workshop.

I'd like to confirm that all the Community Spotlights are available on the Foundry along with most featured custom campaigns. Unfortunately two of the ones we've featured are actually too large to host on the forums and error out on upload we need to find another solution to this and is something on my list of things to resolve.

Naturally that's not a complete solution and ideally all custom levels would be available on all platforms but until such a time that it's feasible to centralise the service or the workshop offers access from third parties the creators will always take the path of least resistance, and it is not feasible for us to re-upload every piece of content ourselves.

I hope this helped answer a few questions and reaffirmed our commitment to doing what we can for players on the GOG platform, which we are huge fans of ourselves.

Cheers,

Lee

Dec 14, 2012
Might it be a good idea to enable an option to upload custom content directly to the Foundry from within WFTO?

Noontide

Designer / Community Manager
Brightrock Games
Dec 8, 2012
Brighton, UK
Might it be a good idea to enable an option to upload custom content directly to the Foundry from within WFTO?
This was something we explored but determined wasn't feasible with the time left for development. If it was something we launched the game with would probably have been much closer. But there are several problems to overcome and we'd still have to make it as low friction as possible to get people to use it.

All of this is something I'm keen to find a more robust solution to for future projects, however.

Top Bottom