• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.
  • Notice the new look? We've updated to a new version of Xenforo, please read our latest post.

How much Physics in game

RMJ

Priestess
Jan 3, 2013
Denmark
I'm just wondering how much Physics is there gonna be in the game.

Based on the pre alpha demo, the way the gold was just in huge piles in the treasure room, if its something like that in the final game, it would be even more awesome to have physics, because it would be awesome to watch how gold is being throw in piles and actually moving down those piles.

Also when mining that dirt and rock crumbles with more details. Its not really about realism or anything. I just really like it when games have a lot of physics, because that adds to the atmosphere and makes the game world feel alive and not so static.

I could even imagine something like when mining, and tunneling into underground lake, having some water flood out or something like that, instead of water always being at one level.

Fireeye

Augre
Backer
Dec 30, 2012
Ze Germany
If fear this grade of ingame-physics would require a considerable amount of system resources and thus could cause heavy lags in older systems - especially if you want to simulate flowing stuff like water or mountains of coins. It would be a nice eye-candy, of course, but I would not expect it in the game right now - there are more important things to be taken care of.

Jari Nierop

Warden
Backer
Dec 31, 2012
The Netherlands
I would love physics and other eye-candy but the team should focus on things like story and gamplay first as those are those things make a game to rather than good graphics. When they're done with those things enhanced graphics and physics would be great for me and other people who have an high-end pc.

Sapphire

Firebreather
Founder
Jan 4, 2013
Missouri, USA
I would love physics and other eye-candy but the team should focus on things like story and gamplay first as those are those things make a game to rather than good graphics. When they're done with those things enhanced graphics and physics would be great for me and other people who have an high-end pc.
Agreed. Things like this would definitely be nice to have, but I'd rather it waited until the more important things were finished. There are tons of games that lack physics like this and have amazing game-play. That isn't even to say that additional physics can be patched in later, if necessary.

RMJ

Priestess
Jan 3, 2013
Denmark
Yeah, im not sure how well unity can handle stuff like that, ofcourse it would have to scale, so it doesnt bug down people on older systems. Its no rush by any means to get into the game. was more of a though for some day.

Jan 7, 2013
I suppose Physics could be turned off (as a game option), so I don't know why you guys are so worried about the older systems.

If the game could use some more advanced physics of any kind I would be happy to upgrade my kickstarter pledge via Paypal to make it happen :)

Ashtrai

Blood Imp
Backer
Jan 5, 2013
Orbital Bombardment Platform
i can't think of any good uses of physics reliant particle effects in a DK-esque game.
I mean u could have ragdoll effects from when you kill units but other than that, what use of physics is there in a top-down rts game like DK/wfto where you are often zoomed out extremely far?

Dec 19, 2011
Auckland/New Zealand
Yes, how far with Physics are WFTO going ?
Can we expect to see the rag-doll effect on the creatures when they die? Would it be that hard to implement? Im not familiar with the unity engine, the previous Unreal engine they started with sure did.

A clever effect on the pile of gold in the treasury (in the tech demo) would certainly help in bringing the dungeon to life.. A simple animation when ever a creature moves by it or over it would work for me.

Im all for worldly realism.. Environmental effects like you have been describing RMJ are a must in my opinion if WFTO wants to truly succeed Dungeon Keeper!

Nepene

Blood Imp
Backer
Jan 7, 2013
While I wouldn't be opposed to physics if they could find some cheap third party program to do it for them, it wouldn't be a major priority of mine.

I'd enjoy having units make a certain sound when they walked on gold. A scrunching of metal. That would be fun.

Dec 19, 2011
Auckland/New Zealand
While I wouldn't be opposed to physics if they could find some cheap third party program to do it for them, it wouldn't be a major priority of mine.

I'd enjoy having units make a certain sound when they walked on gold. A scrunching of metal. That would be fun.
Provided its not Nvidia's PhysX I wouldnt mind.. That program leaves AMD/ATI graphics card users in the dark o_O

Jan 3, 2013
so you're going to pledge £100,000?
I doubt some Physix will require this much sum of money.

Also neat graphics and effects can be achieved without the need to develop brand new graphic engine system, all is needed some love from developers and a pair or two of free hands.

Dec 19, 2011
Auckland/New Zealand

Crunchy sound clip and simple movement animation, there you go Subterranean Games lol! SORTED! :D

Badwolf699

Juggernaut
Founder
Dec 18, 2011
Physics in the game would be nice, their's always the ragdoll effect for when character dies or is knocked out then their bodies can be dragged to prison or the graveyard

Dec 19, 2011
Auckland/New Zealand
Physics in the game would be nice, their's always the ragdoll effect for when character dies or is knocked out then their bodies can be dragged to prison or the graveyard
Hmmmm.. Would be a good idea to add a rag-doll effect to corpse being dragged.. I can see the horrible dynamicness of the heroes being dragged to the prisons and graveyards in the Dungeon Keeper titles and I am not liking what Im seeing :confused:
Physics in this case is a almost must in my opinion, depends how good the animator is..

Badwolf699

Juggernaut
Founder
Dec 18, 2011
Hmmmm.. Would be a good idea to add a rag-doll effect to corpse being dragged.. I can see the horrible dynamicness of the heroes being dragged to the prisons and graveyards in the Dungeon Keeper titles and I am not liking what Im seeing :confused:
Physics in this case is a almost must in my opinion, depends how good the animator is..
I'm sure death dragging ragdolls can be animated.

Dec 19, 2011
Auckland/New Zealand
Something tells me Animation Staff can make this happen.
lol they have done a really good job so far thats for sure!

I remember their really early concepts when they were just starting on a free community Dungeon Keeper 3 project.. They had me a tad concerned. They did the right thing and more or less gave EA Games (the current owners of Dungeon Keeper) the middle finger and eventually met up with RISE and went solo and look at how well they have done!

Top Bottom