• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.
  • Notice the new look? We've updated to a new version of Xenforo, please read our latest post.

Is campaign part 3 supposed to be impossible?

Mar 26, 2015
As the thread name states, i've been trying this out for 5 times now. Spending all my mana just to keep defense up. But at the final wave it's impossible, even if i lock the creatures up in a training room during the whole game. This must be a bug right or intended to be because you aren't allowed to proceed further? I know this isn't the finished game but still, it's really impossible.

If i'm wrong or just suck please tell me a tactic how to proceed!

I've counted the creatures that rush at you, and to my suprise it's around ~50 in the final wave. When only you have around 15.

Kind regards,
Sebastian

Last edited:
Feb 23, 2015
Denmark
you dont have to wait for the final wave to complete the mission, just take your own creatures and knock on the empires doors after wave 1 or 2. And while the later waves are very hard they are not impossible to beat, but require good use of traps(mainly bombards) together with minions to beat back

Psycix

Dryad
Founder
Jan 9, 2013
For a veteran player it is a piece of cake, but I must admit that it is a surprisingly challenging level, and I can understand that for newer players this will be utterly overwhelming.

Mar 16, 2015
Having experience in RTS helps...the number of traps it walks you through in tutorial mode is woefully insufficient. I had 9-12 bombards on two of the chokepoints, my minons swarming the third, and still had to bounce around firing off lightning spells to make it happen. Those big guys take a beating, you can't rely on your traps to ward 'em off.

Also helpful is that you can pick up trap parts from the workshop and take them over manually, instead of waiting for the imps to do it.

And I just realized something...the level may need rebalanced after 0.7.3, or whichever update it is where the AI will push past traps, instead of clearing them.

Last edited:

BlackBeard

Firebreather
Mar 21, 2015
Italy
For a veteran player it is a piece of cake, but I must admit that it is a surprisingly challenging level, and I can understand that for newer players this will be utterly overwhelming.
you actually i think it's a doable mission with more practice ^^ I'm a bit rusty :p

I can not finish the level ... i'm in master league in starcraft 2 and I can not finish a level of WFTO:grumpy:

I have to put more nastiness:mad:

Mar 16, 2015
you actually i think it's a doable mission with more practice ^^ I'm a bit rusty :p

I can not finish the level ... i'm in master league in starcraft 2 and I can not finish a level of WFTO:grumpy:

I have to put more nastiness:mad:
I made it through the first time. That said, it was on patch 0.7.0. If 0.7.3 is where 'Empire pushes past traps' was introduced [haven't played the campaign since it hit], I can see why it'd be a lot, lot, LOT harder. Bottling them up and whittling them down is how I got through, and if that's no longer an option...:eek:

Psycix

Dryad
Founder
Jan 9, 2013
I think that this should not be the normal level of difficulty for the third map. Many new players are likely to to have serious problems with this one.
It would be best to tune this one down a little, but I'd love to see a "hard mode" that steps it up a notch.

Feb 23, 2015
Denmark
i'm in master league in starcraft 2 and I can not finish a level of WFTO
well while DMG and more traditional RTS's have similarities they are by no means the same kind of game tbh

and yeah with psycix this lvl should be quite a bit easier, is like level 3 but on par with like the last 3-4 lvl's of the DK2 campaign in difficulty almost.

But would indeed be nice if there were multiple difficulty levels so you can choose to be beaten to hell and beyond if you want to

Jan 3, 2013
I nearly got killed because I underestimated heroes too much.

To others : Trick lies in combination of lotus traps, and bombards. Do note that heroes have quite hard time dealing with lotus traps, so use them a lot, they lock quite few mana. You can put bombards at sides so they do focus the first hero they see, killing them quickly one by one.

Level itself isn't really hard, you just need to learn how to choke-point heroes and use traps to your advantage. If it becomes too much for you, don't hesitate to put even more traps at sides before building bombard ( this will however deny you achievement for completing level quickly for now, but will increase your chances of winning level ), so heroes will less likely reach your core at all.

P.S Since there are less levels planned, I guess it's fine that this level is hard. After all, this game is intended for players who are experienced in Dungeon Management Games, have some skill in Skirmish ( may MP ) and know how game works. We don't need watered down game with easy difficulty in it.

Last edited:

BlackBeard

Firebreather
Mar 21, 2015
Italy
I totally agree ... I prefer a hard level that a campaign too easy .. the ideal would be to put HC mode for veterans of the game ^^

OT
will be added new traps later? for as I see it (even though I haven't many hours of play with WFTO) different traps helps to diversify the gameplay of each individual lot.

Jan 3, 2013
I totally agree ... I prefer a hard level that a campaign too easy .. the ideal would be to put HC mode for veterans of the game ^^

OT
will be added new traps later? for as I see it (even though I haven't many hours of play with WFTO) different traps helps to diversify the gameplay of each individual lot.
The latest addition - Veil of Souls currently is too strong. They should honestly balance traps first before adding new ones.

P.S In lvl3, focus for Juggernauts. They are the only real threat. During the last wave, don't hesitate to zap them, try to isolate and surround them with your creatures. Without him, others most likely will die to traps, even with priestess's support.

Nutter

Frost Weaver
Founder
Jan 19, 2013
Huddersfield, UK
nutter666.tumblr.com
If it makes you guys feel any better, i'm part of the QA team, and since the priority changes.. all the trap related levels kick my ass too, throwing a load of ramparts onto your bombards certainly helps along with making use of blade loti to hold enemies back for longer.

EDIT:

P.S In lvl3, focus for Juggernauts. They are the only real threat. During the last wave, don't hesitate to zap them, try to isolate and surround them with your creatures. Without him, others most likely will die to traps, even with priestess's support.
Actually I find the firebreathers the worst, since the little buggers set your defenses on fire and then they burn and take damage for ages.

Last edited:
Feb 1, 2014
The best way to use bombards is by having a line of them in open terrain, so they can shoot any enemies coming near at the same time and defend each other when attacked. Putting only one or two in a corridor is usually not enough.

Jan 3, 2013
If it makes you guys feel any better, i'm part of the QA team, and since the priority changes.. all the trap related levels kick my ass too, throwing a load of ramparts onto your bombards certainly helps along with making use of blade loti to hold enemies back for longer.

EDIT:

Actually I find the firebreathers the worst, since the little buggers set your defenses on fire and then they burn and take damage for ages.
AFAIK you can zap them with single cast. Juggernauts are the ones that take time to take down.

Mar 26, 2015
you dont have to wait for the final wave to complete the mission, just take your own creatures and knock on the empires doors after wave 1 or 2. And while the later waves are very hard they are not impossible to beat, but require good use of traps(mainly bombards) together with minions to beat back
This tactic was really easy, tyvm for the input helped me a bunch! To bad that it's the last level in the beta though :<

Aug 28, 2014
I think that this should not be the normal level of difficulty for the third map. Many new players are likely to to have serious problems with this one.
It would be best to tune this one down a little, but I'd love to see a "hard mode" that steps it up a notch.
Well, the campaign is quite short, at least in terms of number of missions. If the first three are really easy that doesn't leave many missions to provide a real challenge! I'm happy with a steep difficulty curve, personally.

Top Bottom