• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

[Mechanic][Other] Corrupted heroes

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 11, 2012
[Other]Corrupted Heroes
Word is that converting enemy creatures will be in this game. When you capture an evil/neutral creature and torture it to convert it, it would not affect the creature.

I think it will really add to the atmosphere of the game when converting heroes would take more time, but on completion would have changed the heroes. It is silly to have the noble knight and the pious monk walk proud within your dungeon after they have been tortured into submission.
Strong heroes could change into a dark counterpart. They should look - depending on the hero - either corrupted(evil) or Broken of spirit(submitted).

There is a very obvious downside to this idea: if the corrupted hero is a completely different creature from the goodly hero it would almost double the effort in creating heroes for the game, which most likely will not be worth the effort - most certainly not in the initial release of the game.

To do so I suggest deciding on a hero by hero basis how far you would want to take this would be the best approach.
  • A simple pallet swap: change the shiny armor on the knight to a dark black armor.
  • A name change: the Paladin gets changed into a Dark Knight, Elf into a Blood elf, Genie into Efrit
  • Class change: The corrupted hero could do dark damage in stead of light, fire in stead of ice and get some different skills
  • Stats change/decrease: The fallen fairy looses most of her sparkle, the dark knight is crippled from torture, the monks prayers are left unanswered.
    [This would be a mechanic that could make balancing the game a bit easier, it would mean that the opposing army is stronger than the resulting army after conversion. Halting the otherwise exponential power growth of the underlords army]
Just the pallet swaps would already go a long way.

[Mechanic]Turn weak heroes to slaves

In addition to this I suggest a new mechanic / creature to reduce the amount of corrupted heroes to reskin/rework.
The weaker heroes are not worthy to stand proud within your ranks. The weaker heroes are not coerced into joining you, they are quickly and brutally beaten into submission. Easier then regular converting, this does not result in the Hero joining you in all his might, but the traumatized lowly heroes are stripped of their magic and gear and sent to work as common slaves.

[Creature] The Damned

Stats:
Health: Low
Armor: None
Movement Speed: Medium
Attack strength: Low
Attack speed: Medium
Intelligence: Low
Construction: Medium
Training Rate: Very Slow
Training Cost: None
Wage:Very Low
Skills:
1: Melee
5: Sacrifice (Jump before attack against friendly creature)
7: Appease (out of battle ability, Attacked by angry friendly creature -sacrifices health to reduce anger in)
Weaknesses/Resistances: None
Information/Appearance: A human with broken will, enslaved by demons and has accepted this fate. Wearing only rags and the wounds of mistreatment. It's only hope is a timely death.
Behavior in Dungeon: Wanders through dungeons. When asked to do work will do so without pause. Will die of starvation when not released from task.
Battle Style: Blocker
Jobs: Training, Guarding, and other such things qualify as jobs
Loves: None
Hates: None
Anger reaction: Does not anger
Lair: Stinky rags
Obtainable By: See above
Attracted by: None
How Introduced: First introduction of converting heroes

Nov 14, 2011
Delaware
I think people have talked about this already, but I do think it's something that should be brought up. I thought it was kind of strange that they didn't change at all in the DK franchise. And honestly I really do like the idea of adding an alternate skin set for corrupted heroes. Painting the skin gray/bluish, adding scars and wounds and such would really go far. And a name change, even if it's as simple as adding "Dark" in front of the creatures name/title. The behavior should stay the same, and they should retain their skills, though maybe all the skills should be 20% less effective?
Anyway, yeah. I really wanted this to come up again.

Inlaa

Arcanist
Jan 11, 2012
Texas
I will add something to this: I like the idea, but I also think it should work in the reverse as well, as Heroes ARE going to be partially playable in Multiplayer by some means, right? If that's so, I'd like to be able to at least convert some Creatures to the side of Light and maybe have them reskinned as well... Unless, of course, Heroes don't have any means of converting creatures.

Feb 5, 2012
I will add something to this: I like the idea, but I also think it should work in the reverse as well, as Heroes ARE going to be partially playable in Multiplayer by some means, right? If that's so, I'd like to be able to at least convert some Creatures to the side of Light and maybe have them reskinned as well... Unless, of course, Heroes don't have any means of converting creatures.
well, unless we give the heros an inquisitor unit. :) introduced by: "No one expects the inquisition!" quote.

Roald

Priestess
Dec 2, 2011
I like the idea but I think it would be too much work reskinning both heroes and Keeper creatures (however you call them)

sukhonali

Chunder
WFTO Founder
Dec 19, 2011
I like the idea, I always thought that a fairy and a bile demon standing next to each other looked ridiculous!

Mar 11, 2012
do you mean like a knight turns into a black knight or becomes a completely new unit
Yes. But corrupted heroes being just that, corrupted heroes, not them turning into the creatures you can attract through a portal. The dark knight/elf in DK2 had no place in the game, completely unimaginative.

These are some of the suggestions I did as an example in my original post:

• A simple pallet swap: change the shiny armor on the knight to a dark black armor.
  • A name change: the Paladin gets changed into a Dark Knight, Elf into a Blood elf, Genie into Efrit

iggii

Chunder
WFTO Backer
Apr 15, 2012
Czech Republic
I think people have talked about this already, but I do think it's something that should be brought up. I thought it was kind of strange that they didn't change at all in the DK franchise. And honestly I really do like the idea of adding an alternate skin set for corrupted heroes. Painting the skin gray/bluish, adding scars and wounds and such would really go far. And a name change, even if it's as simple as adding "Dark" in front of the creatures name/title. The behavior should stay the same, and they should retain their skills, though maybe all the skills should be 20% less effective?
Anyway, yeah. I really wanted this to come up again.

+1
What else can one say...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom