• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

Minion guide for new players

Fireeye

Augre
WFTO Backer
Dec 30, 2012
Ze Germany
I have noticed that many, especially newer players often are confused about what certain minions can or can't do. For instance, few people know that the Inquisitor actually can work in the torture chamber, while others have repeatedly asked if its a bug that titan units can't be picked up.

To answer this question (at least until the devs have a more up-to-date info page on the main site), I have written a minion guide on Steam that gives a brief overview over what a minion does in your dungeon, and how it will behave in combat. It's not an in-depth strategy guide, but should hopefully solve some questions and misunderstandings that do not seem to warrant their own threads on the forum.

You can find the guide here:
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=421483378

If you should find any wrong information in the guide, please let me know here or via a PM.

ManoloBar

Dwarven Worker
Apr 4, 2015
Good stuff. I mean really good work.

Possible Edit:

Although (just reading a bit through it), isn't the bit on Imps outdated through one of the patches that came out since release?

(From Guide)
"Industrious as they are, your workers are cowardly by nature, and will run as fast as their little legs can carry them should they encounter enemies - a trait which means that they may sometimes fail to deliver defense parts or rescue injured minions. "

(From Patch Notes 1.0.18)
"Workers will no longer flee when they have important tasks to do (Building Defences, Recovering unconscious units)"

Assuming the change went through properly, then at least that part needs updating.

Mozared

Juggernaut
WFTO Founder
Feb 17, 2013
Wow. I found like two typo's total, the lay-out is great, and the guide isn't just informative but also written surprisingly well. Honestly, you've removed the need for a creature page in the WFTO wiki.

Fireeye

Augre
WFTO Backer
Dec 30, 2012
Ze Germany
Good stuff. I mean really good work.

Possible Edit:

Although (just reading a bit through it), isn't the bit on Imps outdated through one of the patches that came out since release?

(From Guide)
"Industrious as they are, your workers are cowardly by nature, and will run as fast as their little legs can carry them should they encounter enemies - a trait which means that they may sometimes fail to deliver defense parts or rescue injured minions. "

(From Patch Notes 1.0.18)
"Workers will no longer flee when they have important tasks to do (Building Defences, Recovering unconscious units)"

Assuming the change went through properly, then at least that part needs updating.
I haven't really noticed any changes - from my experience while playing today, Imps will still run away from hostile minions.

ManoloBar

Dwarven Worker
Apr 4, 2015
I haven't really noticed any changes - from my experience while playing today, Imps will still run away from hostile minions.
That's why I added the 'in case it went through' part, since I wasn't sure. I haven't had time to try it out extensively myself, mostly keep myself to bits of campaign (where that need is not super common).

If it isn't, has anyone reported it as a bug?

(Still the guide is awesome, just want to ensure its maximum awesomeness-potential is reached :p)

Apr 28, 2014
Germany
Great Work!

Informative AND Funny.

No real need to translate it into german as Meickel suggested, but ir would be great if you would do it anyways ;)

Meickel

Priestess
Mar 3, 2015
Austria
@Beneathar "Die Übersetzung wäre für mich nicht das Problem, aber ich fürchte es wäre ne Scheissarbeit die ganzen Einheitenporträts und Symbole wieder aus dem WftO-Ordner zu fummeln. Ich werd bei Gelegenheit mal darüber nachdenken auch eine deutsche Version rauszubringen, aber vorerst möchte ich noch zwei andere Guides schreiben - einen für Räume, Fallen und Konstruke, sowie einen für Zaubersprüche, Tränke und Rituale." :p

Apr 28, 2014
Germany
Wie ich sagte, es wäre toll, aber nicht wirklich wichtig für mich.

(((As i said, it would be great, but not neccessary for me.)))

Und wenn ich die Wahl habe nehme ich leiber mehr Guides als einen bestehenden zu übersetzen :)

(((And if i have the choice, i would like more to have more guides than having and existing one translated :) )))

For any non germans: This Guy states, he will make more Guides for Rooms, Traps, Constructs, Rituals, Potions ans Spells... CHEER HIM!

Oh finally! I've been waiting for a comprehensive list for ages. I'm really happy to see so many units again, unlike DKII. What's interesting is that there are not one, not two, not three, but SIX units whose primary role seems to be to summon, strengthen, shield, or heal other units. I feel like the Necromancer and the Witch Doctor at least could have been the same unit. Aside from the succubus, there's a noticeable lack of female Underlord minions. Though fortunately the Empire seems to have plenty that you can convert.

I also see a stark contrast between the Empire of WftO and the Goodly Heroes in DK. In DK heroes were pure, unironic, dorky, good-two-shoes, in contrast to the Keepers' pure evilness. The Empire on the other seems more cynical and hypocritical - using torture and necromancy and such. I'm just glad that the Underlords are still pure evil, and not misunderstood anti-heroes.

Fireeye

Augre
WFTO Backer
Dec 30, 2012
Ze Germany
Oh finally! I've been waiting for a comprehensive list for ages. I'm really happy to see so many units again, unlike DKII. What's interesting is that there are not one, not two, not three, but SIX units whose primary role seems to be to summon, strengthen, shield, or heal other units. I feel like the Necromancer and the Witch Doctor at least could have been the same unit. Aside from the succubus, there's a noticeable lack of female Underlord minions. Though fortunately the Empire seems to have plenty that you can convert.

I also see a stark contrast between the Empire of WftO and the Goodly Heroes in DK. In DK heroes were pure, unironic, dorky, good-two-shoes, in contrast to the Keepers' pure evilness. The Empire on the other seems more cynical and hypocritical - using torture and necromancy and such. I'm just glad that the Underlords are still pure evil, and not misunderstood anti-heroes.
Keep in mind hat the guide is written from the "evil" perspective - it is highly debatable whether the Empire's matriarchs do indeed use necromancy, or whether the righteousness of the Templars is mostly just self-righteousness.

As for the support minions - I really wouldn't compare the Necromancer to the Witch Doctor. The former basically is a summoner that can fight an entire army if your crypt has enough corpses, while the other really is purely limited to a "dark priest" role and does not even have debuffs. I assume the Cultists and the Witch Doctor could be compared, but these are the only two pure support units (perhaps aside from the Oculus) on the Underlord side I can think of.

Fireeye

Augre
WFTO Backer
Dec 30, 2012
Ze Germany
UPDATE: After the Grimoire of Minions, I have now finished the Grimoire of Structures, which explains the function of the rooms, defenses, and constructs at your disposal. Furthermore, it also portrays the various shrines you may find in Kairos, and describes some of the few unique structures used by the Empire.

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=424579838

I hope this, together with the upcoming tooltip update will help (new) players during their War for the Overworld.

Top Bottom