• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

More categories in the creature selection grid.

Status
Not open for further replies.

ShadowTiger

Skarg
WFTO Founder
Dec 10, 2011
New York

Take a look on the very bottom, where the horizontal bar of your creatures is. Now take a look just to the left of that, where the three smily faces are, and the four "activity" panels are.

Let's make this a thread where we toss in ideas about things to sort the creatures by. Having finer control over the visibility of how many creatures are doing what is a very, very useful thing to have.

For example, in other threads, we are reminded that blood imps could potentially be trained to increase their potential. But what if they put blood imps that are training and blood imps that are fighting in the same category pool of activity?! You'd want to drag all imps out of the fight, (If even possible.) but you might also drag them out of the training room by accident. Whoops. A small error, but certainly undesirable.

Or what if you want to see if any creatures are idle, so you can put them to work? What if one of those is eating, or worse, just about to eat? You'd be taking a creature that's about to sate its hunger and keep its happiness and put it to work, where it'll likely become unhappy, ... and it's all your darn fault. BAD Underlord. BAD!

So let's compose some new ideas for categories.

• Has no purpose (Rather than "Idle")
  • Waiting to be useful
  • Eating
  • Sleeping (Tempted to merge eating and sleeping into one, "Rejuvenating")
  • Enjoyment
  • Working at its favorite job
  • Working at a secondary job (If it was told to do something that isn't its favorite, preferred job. They normally wouldn't do this on their own at all.) - This way, you know if they could have increased potential in your dungeon at a glance.
  • Fighting an enemy Underlord's creatures.
  • Fighting an enemy Hero
  • Fighting a fellow creature
  • In Prison or being tortured. (You can't grab it, unless it's in your own prison / torture room.)
  • Patrolling (I won't count this as a "job" because it doesn't do anything productive for you or the dungeon.)

I wonder what category you'd put dragging a dungeon special back to your own dungeon. Primary Job? That's kinda vague. I also wonder if Blood Imps should have their own tab.

Mar 21, 2013
The Netherlands
I am to understand you already want 12 different categories on your bar and even want to add upon those? The size of the screen left to play on will be minuscule.
A couple like in d2 fine, but this is looking like way way to much.

ShadowTiger

Skarg
WFTO Founder
Dec 10, 2011
New York
That's what pulldowns are for. ... ... Or pull-rights, in this case, or whatever.

Space can be managed, if there are options for it. If there aren't ways to monitor some things at all, though, there's nothing to be done about that.

Mar 21, 2013
The Netherlands
Some things I can live with, but I personally don't need to micromanage every single thing my minions are doing. If they do decide to put something like this in I hope it will be optional, because pulldown or whatever they want to make of it, I'm pretty sure I won't be able to make heads or tails from it if there is that much information being shown. Especially in the heat of battle this would be no help what so ever.
As long as I can keep an eye on who is fighting and who is not, the rest I can manage.

Cultist Joris

Ember Demon
WFTO Founder
Dec 30, 2012
Belgium
I wonder what category you'd put dragging a dungeon special back to your own dungeon.
Blood imps could have categories as:
  • Mining
  • Cliaming (incl. fortifying)
  • Dragging (corpses, prisoners or items)
  • Attacking (enemy imps)
  • Fleeing from battle
  • Idle
  • Emprisoned (or being tortured)
  • ...and maybe defending heart?

ShadowTiger

Skarg
WFTO Founder
Dec 10, 2011
New York
Some things I can live with, but I personally don't need to micromanage every single thing my minions are doing. If they do decide to put something like this in I hope it will be optional, because pulldown or whatever they want to make of it, I'm pretty sure I won't be able to make heads or tails from it if there is that much information being shown. Especially in the heat of battle this would be no help what so ever.
As long as I can keep an eye on who is fighting and who is not, the rest I can manage.
Some people think of it as a God/Sim game, and some people think of it as an RTS game. I can absolutely see the advantage of both sides of the argument. Once again, the magic of pulldowns/pullrights is evident. :)

Lord of Riva

The Lord
WFTO Founder
Dec 29, 2012
meh im too tired too think about it right now, i will post something tomorrow ;)

but im adding this to the list under the misc. section (didnt have to do that much lately *sad*)

RachniKiller

Gargoyle
WFTO Backer
Dec 12, 2012
To much information can be a problem for some people. Do I really need to know every thing listed here to enjoy the game? How will this improve game play?

Eek

Dryad
WFTO Founder
Oct 22, 2012
Canterbury, Kent
www.leeketh.com
How about letting the user configure their own?
Seeing every possible job for every creature would take up far too much space...
Could also be useful to let you configure the order you pick minions up (e.g. by level ascending/descending) for each button... would be useful to pick creatures that need training/are expendable, or ones that would be more efficient at the job.

Lord of Riva

The Lord
WFTO Founder
Dec 29, 2012
i think the menu shouldnt be so overloaded eeks Idea is great ;)

what i would like too see are shrotcuts for basic functions like:

alt+click = take the strongest creature
ctrl+click = Take the weakest creature
shift+click = take the unhappy creature

etc. etc. etc.
this would help keeping the ui free and being awesome on the same time :p

ShadowTiger

Skarg
WFTO Founder
Dec 10, 2011
New York
Aye; if anything, the point is to allow the user to configure the level of detail they experience. Having it be forced at a useless minimum or overbearing maximum is definitely unhelpful.

Shortcuts are certainly useful, as long as they are at some point evident to the player that they exist.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom