• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

Necromancer design discussion

What is your opinion on the Necromancer design?

• Perfect as is

Votes: 19 22.4%
  • Needs a few minor tweaks

Votes: 46 54.1%
  • Needs major changes

Votes: 15 17.6%
  • Scrap it and go back to the drawing board

Votes: 5 5.9%

• Total voters

Enjou

Ember Demon
WFTO Backer
Jan 10, 2012
Since we've got one for the Chunder too, I think we should have one of these discussion threads for all the new units.

So... the Necromancer.

Discuss!

Enjou

Ember Demon
WFTO Backer
Jan 10, 2012
I like the concept for the most part, just not the big jaw thing that makes it look like he's grinning. It's a bit cartoony, and this is a unit that needs to have a really dark feel. Maybe also change the robes to be black, or at least a few parts of them.

One other suggestion is that the Necromancer should have a bit of progression as it levels up. Low level ones might still be very human and fleshy, though with skin that's very pale. Mid level ones could be like above - less alive, more undead and emaciated. The high level ones who have mastered their craft could remove the shackles of flesh altogether and be completely skeletal.

Tenebris

Gnarling
WFTO Backer
Feb 2, 2013
Entering through a Hero Gate
I like the concept for the most part, just not the big jaw thing that makes it look like he's grinning. It's a bit cartoony, and this is a unit that needs to have a really dark feel. Maybe also change the robes to be black, or at least a few parts of them.

One other suggestion is that the Necromancer should have a bit of progression as it levels up. Low level ones might still be very human and fleshy, though with skin that's very pale. Mid level ones could be like above - less alive, more undead and emaciated. The high level ones who have mastered their craft could remove the shackles of flesh altogether and be completely skeletal.
I think it could do with a big remake. I really don't like all the skin on show, but I do think you're onto a winner there with the idea of them leaving humanity behind as they level - though this could be a lot of work for the Devs to implement. Idk.

I personally mentioned something like this: (http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m4ibl4XFEq1qgu7b4o1_500.jpg) in the other thread because I've always felt that Necromancers should seem dark and enigmatic, and something like this seems more appropriate.

So yeah, while I don't mean to seem unappreciative of the guys' ideas and work... There's some things about this that don't sit right with me. Sorry guys!

Tommonius

Necromancer
WFTO Backer
Dec 15, 2012
Wolverhampton
I don't mind how he looks, sure the jaw looked a little wierd at first though I did believe it was spiked armour, I still don't think it is the Necromancer's jaw, who knows maybe he took it off a suitably big corpse like a dragon and wears it for bragging rights?

Simburgur

Managing Director
Brightrock Games
Nov 10, 2011
Brighton, UK
www.twitter.com
Few clarifications:
  • That isn't actually his jaw, that's simply some cool looking chest armour. A side view may explain this better.
  • The empty bottom half of his face/mouth/neck area is for consuming souls! (think Dementors)
  • The slightly 'over the top' helmet/chest armour also there to differ silhouette from that of the Cultist.
  • He is human. Or, rather, was human before the curse.
However, we're paying very close attention to this thread, so keep posting your thoughts.

Tommonius

Necromancer
WFTO Backer
Dec 15, 2012
Wolverhampton
Few clarifications:
  • That isn't actually his jaw, that's simply some cool looking chest armour. A side view may explain this better.
  • The empty bottom half of his mouth/neck area is for consuming souls! (think Dementors)
  • The slightly 'over the top' helmet/chest armour also there to differ silhouette from that of the Cultist.
  • He is human. Or, rather, was human before the curse.
However, we're paying very close attention to this thread, so keep posting your thoughts.
HA! i knew it!!

i knew he had no real bottom jaw, my first thought was that he was a bit like world of warcraft Forsaken models that can choose to have no bottom jaw and still canabilize... somehow

Also I don't mind the exotic armour, the Necromancer is clearly a bit insane and possibly doesn't give a crap what he looks like now he smells like over ripe fruit/ eats souls/ can be undead for all of eternity and is evil so would like to show a bit of "skin" off to disturb people, or in other words, Necromancer :)eek:) vs succubus in Bikini contest :)rolleyes:)

Also any idea where the armour bone came from? It is quite the jaw bone if Necromancer is man sized...

Mozared

Juggernaut
WFTO Founder
Feb 17, 2013
While it may be a lot of work, I really like this idea. I was actually going to ask as well whether creatures actually grow as they level up, as they did in DK1. In a way this was kind of lame since you sometimes ended up with huge ass units that just looked silly, but it was a simple touch I quite liked in an overall sense; your horde really felt more powerful at the end with a bunch of big ass units attacking a group of smaller untrained beasts. I wouldn't mind if WFTO minions increased in size slightly - not in such a way that a level 10 minion becomes a giant, but rather in a more subtle way where you'd notice a difference between a level 1 and a level 10 minion. We already know the Augre augments his body, though that seems to be a mechanic thing as well.

I think it could do with a big remake. I really don't like all the skin on show, but I do think you're onto a winner there with the idea of them leaving humanity behind as they level - though this could be a lot of work for the Devs to implement. Idk.

I personally mentioned something like this: (http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m4ibl4XFEq1qgu7b4o1_500.jpg) in the other thread because I've always felt that Necromancers should seem dark and enigmatic, and something like this seems more appropriate.
I'm going to disagree with you. The picture you linked seems a bit like the staple necromancer look every recent fantasy game uses. I like this Necromancers' more unique look.

That isn't actually his jaw, that's simply some cool looking chest armour. A side view may explain this better.
This really was the one thing I was wondering about for this guy. The jaw doesn't look bad per se, but it did seem a bit off. If it's more obvious that it's actually part of his armour in-game I reckon it'll work fine. I'm pretty happy I think - even when closely inspecting his garments and such there aren't really any parts that I think could really be improved or changed. I'm hesitant to call anything perfect, but since I can't suggest any improvements (aside from the one in the beginning of this post) I'll go with "Perfect as is".

Tenebris

Gnarling
WFTO Backer
Feb 2, 2013
Entering through a Hero Gate
I'm going to disagree with you. The picture you linked seems a bit like the staple necromancer look every recent fantasy game uses. I like this Necromancers' more unique look.

Everyone's entitled to their own take on things ^_-- I just feel more in favour of staple, you favour the unique approach.

Though! On an alternate take on this, perhaps more bone armour? Such as a rib cage "breastplate"?

Enjou

Ember Demon
WFTO Backer
Jan 10, 2012
Few clarifications:
I didn't think it was his jaw - it's just that the size difference between the helmet's jaw and the lower armor jaw kind of makes it look like he's smiling. From the description of what he does I didn't think of this as the kind of person who would be smiling, and the fact that he apparently eats souls furthers that impression for me. I'm thinking that maybe if you scale it to be the right size to match the hemlet or instead of having of having the sides go to the shoulders have them move up the neck as if they are connecting to the helmet it would instead look like an angry skull with an open mouth that's ready to consume some souls.

Mozared

Juggernaut
WFTO Founder
Feb 17, 2013
Everyone's entitled to their own take on things ^_-- I just feel more in favour of staple, you favour the unique approach.

Though! On an alternate take on this, perhaps more bone armour? Such as a rib cage "breastplate"?
This would be a great idea in combination with Enjou's idea about an evolving model. A level 1 Necromancer with just the iconic helmet, a level 10 Necromancer wearing a full set of bone-armour.

I didn't think it was his jaw - it's just that the size difference between the helmet's jaw and the lower armor jaw kind of makes it look like he's smiling. From the description of what he does I didn't think of this as the kind of person who would be smiling, and the fact that he apparently eats souls furthers that impression for me. I'm thinking that maybe if you scale it to be the right size to match the hemlet or instead of having of having the sides go to the shoulders have them move up the neck as if they are connecting to the helmet it would instead look like an angry skull with an open mouth that's ready to consume some souls.
You'd be surprised. I know for a fact that people who eat souls are really happy and gentle guys who smile all the time.

Source: I know a few people who eat souls. Most of them work in accounting.

Chinese dragon eh? Okay cool :p
soooo... any chance of dragons in the game?
This'll be the third time for me today.

Yes. Yes please.

pak man

Ghoul
WFTO Backer
Oct 24, 2012
Does the guy who designed this even know this game is supposed to be "DK3" ?

u guys really did a awesome job on room designs.

I mean no offense but What is so cool about this and other creatures designs?
( except jaggernaut, cultist, and inquisitor these are ok )

man... be honest with u guys all the creature concept I've seen so far they look more like bunch of toys.

Really reminds me of torchlight and other pg-13 games

Evi

Witch Doctor
WFTO Backer
Nov 14, 2011
Really? I thought it was "WftO".

Why does everything have to be hyper-realistic?

Why can't games just have a unique style that can hold up, like Legend of Zelda Wind Waker, or, hell as someone said on a review, Grabbed by the Ghoulies? They had their own style of graphics and with that style it still looks appealing to this day, even when it is years old.

Making it look all 'shiny' and such years later down will make it look so... Old.
So I say, have fun with the creature concepts, but keep an ear open towards constructive critisim!

That is all I wish to say.

Sangromancer

Bafu
WFTO Backer
Feb 3, 2013
Innistrad

I like this idea, I think as he levels up he should get covered in more boney armor. It would look very awsome, terrifying and ghoulish :D

Edit: Voluminous cloaks work too

Top Bottom