• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

Necromancer design discussion

What is your opinion on the Necromancer design?

• Perfect as is

Votes: 19 22.4%
  • Needs a few minor tweaks

Votes: 46 54.1%
  • Needs major changes

Votes: 15 17.6%
  • Scrap it and go back to the drawing board

Votes: 5 5.9%

• Total voters

Fireeye

Augre
WFTO Backer
Dec 30, 2012
Ze Germany
I have somewhat mixed feelings towards the design of the Necromaner. On the one hand, I do like the unique approach, given how many "Hooded-Dark-Robes" style of genereic Necromancers there already are. On the other, the current concept strongly reminds me of a carribean Witch Doctor, which imho does not entirely fit with the gothic architecture found in most of the dungeon concept art we've seen so far.

Suggestions:
Slightly decrease the size of the lower jaw, so you don't have to fear that the Necromancer falls over from its weigth.
Either cover up the bare skin on the chest/belly with rotten scraps of cloth or change the latters' color into a pale gray.
Either slightly increase the thickness of his arms, or also cover them in cloth. I do get the idea that they are supposed to look skeletal, but right now they look as if they would break like twigs when handling the staff.

Tommonius

Necromancer
WFTO Backer
Dec 15, 2012
Wolverhampton
I have somewhat mixed feelings towards the design of the Necromaner. On the one hand, I do like the unique approach, given how many "Hooded-Dark-Robes" style of genereic Necromancers there already are. On the other, the current concept strongly reminds me of a carribean Witch Doctor, which imho does not entirely fit with the gothic architecture found in most of the dungeon concept art we've seen so far.

Suggestions:
Slightly decrease the size of the lower jaw, so you don't have to fear that the Necromancer falls over from its weigth.
Either cover up the bare skin on the chest/belly with rotten scraps of cloth or change the latters' color into a pale gray.
Either slightly increase the thickness of his arms, or also cover them in cloth. I do get the idea that they are supposed to look skeletal, but right now they look as if they would break like twigs when handling the staff.
it has been confirmed it is not a lopwer jaw but a piece of the armour, the monster has no lower jaw and sucks souls dementer style.

Fireeye

Augre
WFTO Backer
Dec 30, 2012
Ze Germany
it has been confirmed it is not a lopwer jaw but a piece of the armour, the monster has no lower jaw and sucks souls dementer style.
I know that the jaw is NOT part of the Necromancer's body but part of his armor. It's still a jaw, and all we know is that is comes from China.

Tommonius

Necromancer
WFTO Backer
Dec 15, 2012
Wolverhampton
I know that the jaw is NOT part of the Necromancer's body but part of his armor. It's still a jaw, and all we know is that is comes from China.
Still musing on either China existing in a world of ultimate evil or the chinese economy having means to sell cheaply manufactured merchandise accross dimensions to evil minions who possibly flog them on to make some serious cash...

Does this mean WTFO is earh on a parralel world and we are conquering England on campaign mode???

TheButcher

Blood Imp
WFTO Backer
Jan 13, 2013
Ireland
It's more on the witch-doctor / voodoo style of a creature than a Necromancer to be honest. Instead of another redesign I would rename this creature to a witch-doctor but if I was going for a redesign - the jaw / head would be looked at, the rest is great and unique.

Tommonius

Necromancer
WFTO Backer
Dec 15, 2012
Wolverhampton
It's more on the witch-doctor / voodoo style of a creature than a Necromancer to be honest. Instead of another redesign I would rename this creature to a witch-doctor but if I was going for a redesign - the jaw / head would be looked at, the rest is great and unique.
qwll they said the look was because they did not want units to look to much alike and cultists already have robes and their might be an alchemist minion so we have to have a little divergence in appearence.

A voodoo Necromancer though DOES sound good and would compliment the tribal theme he has.

Mozared

Juggernaut
WFTO Founder
Feb 17, 2013
Still musing on either China existing in a world of ultimate evil or the chinese economy having means to sell cheaply manufactured merchandise accross dimensions to evil minions who possibly flog them on to make some serious cash...

Does this mean WTFO is earh on a parralel world and we are conquering England on campaign mode???
Valid question. Would like to see an answer.

Subterranean games pls.

Enjou

Ember Demon
WFTO Backer
Jan 10, 2012
Don't read too much into the China thing - it was just a joke. I doubt the WFTO world has anything to do with our own. Also, they are being tight-lipped on lore and story, so they likely won't tell you anyways.

Dec 16, 2012
Let me, again, start to state that I like the design. I for one like the jaw on the armour. However I got the same vibe many have gotten here. The vibe of a Voodoo-bokor / Witchdoctor, which I blame on the great amounts of skin on show, the pouch and the fetishes dangling from his skirt. Though a vest or something of the like would go a long way. And I'd like to think that his staff is in the incorrect order. Which in my mind should be the straight bit on the bottom, then the curved spine bit, then the current top and the cage with the skull in it on the top. (I imagine the skull to rattle around in the cage when magic is cast) Also, one might want to elongate the nails a bit, to give it the receding flesh idea.
Again, as stated by others, renaming it Witchdoctor or Bokor would go a long way as well.

Jan 7, 2012
I really like all those little icky bones, zombified animals and stuff he has dangling around from his robes. But as many, I would prefer a smaller thinner jawbone or a bone/theet neclace.

Blizzard

Necromancer
WFTO Backer
Dec 3, 2011
Behind you
I feel that the design is too Witchdoctor and doesnt fitwith the theme
maybe something along these lines

edit : what if his skin is just like his face and that he reassemble a shade
this would allow the skeletal armor to be more apparent
meaning keeping the design without that Witch doctor vibe to it

mishko

Witch Doctor
WFTO Founder
Feb 27, 2012
Michigan
I think that the chest jaw armor should be tweaked a bit. I think his skull helmet looks fine though. I think it should show his undead looking arms but maybe cover the rest of his body up with robes or some other outfit. Maybe make him look more Bony and less Fleshy??

Tommonius

Necromancer
WFTO Backer
Dec 15, 2012
Wolverhampton
No way. The more skin the necromancer shows, the more skin the succubus will be obligated to show. :D
Yea like I said before, bikini contest :rolleyes:
Besides why would an undead necromancer care what other people think he looks like when he probably smells like rotten fruit and messes around with everyones corpses.

Probably shows a little skin to deliberately disgust his "allies"

Feb 2, 2013
my only real problem with him is the weapon... is it a walking stick, a staff, a sword or a paddle? It kinda reminds of all 4

Rezal

Templar
WFTO Backer
Jan 11, 2013
It just looks way too cartoony for me.
I donno maybe it will look better in game,but yeah that jaw bone...WTF

Sebulon

Disciple
WFTO Backer
Dec 30, 2012
Hesse, Germany
As I said:
I like the skills and I like the crypt.
But I don't really like the look of him (or it?).
Isn't he originally human? He really doesn't look a bit like it. But he doesn't look like a demon neither.
And as others already said he's too cartoony and too witchdoctorish.

I wouldn't have a problem with renaming him to witchdoctor witch would eliminate the last "problem".

Top Bottom