• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

[Neutral Creature] Magnes

Like?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 10, 2011
The Netherlands
Name Magnes

Stats:

Health: High
Attack: Above average
Armour: High
Accuracy: Moderate
Agility: Crap
Speed: Extremely low
Recovery Rate: Low
Intelligence: Crap
Construction: Moderate
Training Rate: Low
Training Cost: Moderate
Wage: Moderate

Skills:

Level 1: Melee
Level 3: Rock Shot (Forms a small rock in front of the user, then launches it at an opponent. Average projectile at best. From level 5 on, the rock turns into a piece of scrap metal, dealing slightly more damage. 3 seconds cooldown)
Level 4: Magnetic Pull (Remotely pulls a target towards the user. Max range 7 tiles away, min range 1 tile. 4 seconds cooldown)
Level 4: Magnetic Push (Pushes targets away from the user, up to 7 tiles away. 12 seconds cooldown.)
Level 9: Magnetic Explosion (Forms scrap metal all around the user, then shoots it off in every direction. Basically an omnidirectional hailstorm shot, of which the damage greatly deteriorates over distance, with a max range of 4 tiles. Also has a slight pushback effect, pushing creatures roughly 1 tile away from the unit. 40 seconds cooldown.)
Level 10: Magnetic Implosion (Inverse of Magnetic Explosion, forms scrap metal in a 5 tile circle around the unit, which then flies towards the user. Damage increases as the scrap metal gets closer to the unit. Also has a slight pull effect, pushing creatures roughly 1 tile towards the user. 60 seconds cooldown)

Information: The Magnes is a creature formed out of magnetic iron and rocks from the depths of the underworld, which gained sentience as well as low-grade psionic powers which basically screw with all physics laws regarding magnetism, allowing it to selectively attract and repel objects of their choosing, and even move around non-metal objects.

They are still essentially mindless creatures, and do not act much on their own. However, when it finds a hostile presence (i.e. any creature/hero unit), it will try to defeat it/them in order to keep up the natural balance in its vicinity. However, if captured and converted, it will dutifully obey its master.

TL;DR version: My take on the golem archetype, with Selective Magnetism.

Behavior in Dungeon: When under control of a keeper, it will either guard on guard posts, be stationary in its lair, spend ages moving between those two, or slowly move around randomly through the keeper's dungeon as a way of patrolling. It has no need for food, so it can be a loyal guard.

Battle Style: Blocker - the Magnes can take a lot of damage, and so would be best at the forefront of the battle to take up the damage and deal some in the meantime.
Its magnetic powers also make it a good unit for crowd control, being able to pull enemies away from supporting units, or pulling supporting enemies towards itself to put them in a more dangerous position and to hit them. At higher levels, it also has some attacking moves which deal damage around a large area, making them good for fighting multiple opponents at a time.

Jobs: The Magnes can be assigned to guard on guard posts, and work in the workshop, although it's not spectacularly good at it. It can also do the usual stuff, such as training, etc.

Obtainable By: Neutral, usually hostile.

Hates: None in particular

Loves: None in particular either

Anger reaction: Leaves dungeon.

Lair: A rocky rectangular tile. When 'sleeping' in the lair, the Magnes will always face directly north, towards the magnetic north pole.

Appearance: This is largely up for grabs, but the general idea would be a monstrously looking rock golem, sort of. Here's something which somewhat resembles what I was going for:

How Introduced: Whatever level, that has mostly earth and rocks in it rather than snow, water, lava, etc.

Attracted by: N/A

Torture: Is being stone carved with an oversized hammer.

Roald

Blood Imp
Dec 2, 2011
sounds interresting... I was thinking postin a golem creature too :p
ill do that later this weekend.

Hugo

Concept Artist
Brightrock Games
Nov 14, 2011
Spain
I prefer archetypes over totally new concepts, so I like the golem idea. But I don't know if the magnetic dude fits the dungeon theme...
You can make it an iron golem and that would justify it's magical ability with metals.

Jared

Blood Imp
Nov 23, 2011
Gold Coast Australia
I like the idea of a Golem in this game but I don't know about the magnetic abilities and if it looks anything like that Pokemon drawing:eek: then it's really gonna look outa place in the dungeon, Golem's should look more menacing and imposing kinda like Shale from Dragon Age:)

Shale Golem.jpg

Roald

Blood Imp
Dec 2, 2011
I like the idea of a Golem in this game but I don't know about the magnetic abilities and if it looks anything like that Pokemon drawing:eek: then it's really gonna look outa place in the dungeon, Golem's should look more menacing and imposing kinda like Shale from Dragon Age:)

View attachment 73
hehehe you like shale because he hates birds? :p

Neros

Disciple
Dec 10, 2011
Denmark
Combat Type: Being a Blocker and with so low speed sounds like a bad combination. There might be nothing to block when they finally arrive :p
Also, does the area effect abilities affect friendly units? If no; Don't this become a rather powerful being? Especially near lava...

I agree with Egg. I to don't feel that the Magnes fit the Evil Dungeon theme, proberbly mostly because they seem boring to have walking around. They don't seem to have any "personality" or behaviour, which is logical due to their background, but not entertaining.
If put in, I could imagen that they could be used as resource-gathering-helpers for the imps.

Nov 14, 2011
Delaware
Combat Type: Being a Blocker and with so low speed sounds like a bad combination. There might be nothing to block when they finally arrive :p
Also, does the area effect abilities affect friendly units? If no; Don't this become a rather powerful being? Especially near lava...

I agree with Egg. I to don't feel that the Magnes fit the Evil Dungeon theme, proberbly mostly because they seem boring
to have walking around. They don't seem to have any "personality" or behaviour, which is logical due to their background, but not entertaining.
If put in, I could imagen that they could be used as resource-gathering-helpers for the imps.
Blockers are supposed to have low speed. If you want to move a blocker quickly, just pick them up and drop them.
And lack of personality is personality too, it makes it even funnier when the creature does something unexpected, imagine if it randomly started breakdancing!

Nov 10, 2011
The Netherlands
Worked for the Bile Demon et al. And it can also pull in units to draw aggro to itself. So I don't think it would be so bad.

I don't think the abilities would affect allies, but I don't think they would be terribly strong either to balance that out.

And I don't know how lethal lava is going to be, so I don't know if it would get OP from that. But push effects aren't new though, so I suppose it should work.

I agree with Egg. I to don't feel that the Magnes fit the Evil Dungeon theme, proberbly mostly because they seem boring to have walking around. They don't seem to have any "personality" or behaviour, which is logical due to their background, but not entertaining.
Well, if every creature has special/unique/interesting behavior, not having that would become a special/unique behavior in itself. Sure, it wouldn't be too interesting, but ultimately, if everything is "interesting", that's the same thing as nothing being "interesting". Needs a bit of "plain" to show off the "entertaining" in other units.
Interesting idea...

Hugo

Concept Artist
Brightrock Games
Nov 14, 2011
Spain
I don't agree a lack of personality means personality. If it's not too interesting, it's not too good.
What made the bile demon a cool creature wasn't the beetle. It was its very own design.
Would like variety in creatures, but in the way they function and the strategies they support, not by some being cool while others are boring.

Hugo

Concept Artist
Brightrock Games
Nov 14, 2011
Spain
Well, personality is a part of what you have to design! So yeah personality, just as every aspect of a creature depends exclusively on its design...

Nov 10, 2011
The Netherlands
Right, but to get back to the original statement, it wasn't the personality that made the Bile Demon popular. (In fact, it had next to no personality in DK1. It was just fat and farted. Heck, almost nothing had personality in DK1, everything depended on other design factors, which this suggestion isn't necessarily cutting short of.)

Neros

Disciple
Dec 10, 2011
Denmark
I can agree that sometimes, despite the lack of personality, you can give something personality. But that will be through its actions and looks. But so fare, I haven't really felt anything when I looked at its image or story/behaviour.

Slowness: To be honest, for me it never worked for the bile demon. Not really. I rarely used him, because he was so very, vey slow. He needed more babysitting than any of the others, just because of his slowness.

Nov 10, 2011
The Netherlands
Slowness: To be honest, for me it never worked for the bile demon. Not really. I rarely used him, because he was so very, vey slow. He needed more babysitting than any of the others, just because of his slowness.
I suppose you never played DK1?

Also, I haven't really paid that much attention to personality/behavior so far. It's the concept that counts.

Hugo

Concept Artist
Brightrock Games
Nov 14, 2011
Spain
I'm starting to think that talking about personality is just ambiguous, as each of us seem to have different meanings for it.

Neros

Disciple
Dec 10, 2011
Denmark
I only very shortly played DK1, but my experience with getting old games to work on Windows XP was rather limited

And I would say you are right Egg :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom