• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

New room: Tunnel.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 27, 2012
Instead of creating a problem for a room to fix, I come up with something that fixes an existing problem.

The tunnel is a simple room specific for workers to use.
Since they have no lair, workers can use this room to eat some moldy old bread, rotten meat and other scraps of food that no one else will have to restore their health when injured.
They dont need food, they will just go here to eat when injured to recover lost health.

Aside from this minor convenience, the tunnel also serves as a passageway for workers to use. No other creatures can use them, save for maybe one or two small creatures who have it as a unique ability.
This helps workers to quickly deliver gold to treasuries within your dungeon instead of far away, causing your creatures to walk far on payday.

Also one treasury could be tagged as the main treasury, so that your imps will always try to fill this up, carrying treasure from other treasuries to this one. The tunnels would help with this.

Typically, the tunnels would be small rooms placed close to treasuries.

All tunnels of a player would be linked together, the time it takes for an imp to move through a tunnel could be pretty fast, but only three imps could be in the tunnel at once. The number could be adjusted for balance reasons of course.

2x2 could be big enough for a tunnel, when made 3x3 theres a tunnel in the middle instead, and once its 4x4 or larger there is a tunnel in each corner. The tunnels are always the same small size since its intended for workers.

In a 5x5 room, a large pillar would stand in the middle. Since the room is pretty much intended to be small this is just decorational. It's still nice to be able to toy with rooms though to customise the dungeon.

Simple torches are on the walls for decoration, and wooden planks are in the walls. The scraps of food are stored here.

Aelius

Bafu
WFTO Backer
Jan 18, 2013
A Dungeon in Belgium
I was thinking you could instead of digging out a wall and placing a door, you could place the tunnel in a single 1x1 wall that only imps could move through. They'd move through it like a door, but it still counted as a wall, and besides there being like a little hole in it with a grate, it looked and acted like a normal dungeon wall too. So, kind of like an extremely cheap door that creates shortcuts for imps in 1x1 walls, instead of a full blown imp tunnel system. It wouldn't take up any extra room and you'd still see your imps scattering about.

Jan 3, 2013
Technically any title owned by you is a part of the tunnel or passage. I don't think there's a need for such thing.

Imps probably will regenerate health while on your territory, maybe faster when they are in the room with heart. There's no need to buff imps as they already are fast and have very few tasks to do. Besides, you can always pick one and drop it, if you need something done immediately.

Azrael

Bloodling
WFTO Backer
Jan 5, 2013
Well, i think there is some merit to a variant of door or a door setting that only opens for specific creature types.

Jackpot Winner

Firebreather
WFTO Backer
Nov 29, 2012
I can picture what Aelius is saying and I think it's an interesting idea. Imps are certainly small enough to scurry through tunnels and vents, and any Underlord would want them to have quick access to all parts of the dungeon without sacrificing security, and placing these around the place would allow them to do that.

However, as your dungeon becomes instantly more efficient by these existing, there has to be a drawback to placing them. Perhaps they can be tunnelled through, just like walls, except the problem is the visible grate shows the enemy where your corridors must be? Perhaps enemy Imps/Dwarves can slip through them too?

Jun 27, 2012
I did consider enemy imps using the tunnels too yes, but it would be confusing then. They'd claim the tunnel first after all so if they could move through your tunnel network through a tunnel owned by them, it would screw things up quite a bit.

Of course a small hole in a wall can allow imps to pass through, but what I am trying to solve with this tunnel network is the issue of gold being mined far away, and treasuries being build everywhere, with your creatures having to walk a long way to get their gold on payday unless you move the money around yourself.

Through this tunnel system, the imps can move the gold from anywhere on the map to your treasury quite fast.

The drawback of the tunnels could come in the shape of those few creatures that can pass through them as well. One or two smaller creatures could have the ability to use these tunnels as well. They should not be strong fighters since then it would be used for all out attacks, but these creatures could enter en enemy tunnel network and pop up at any exit, including at the gold vein where your vurnerable imps are mining for gold and might be killed before you even know whats going on.

Also, these creatures could sneak into your dungeon through the tunnel network if you dont guard it well, allowing their player to see your dungeon design and scout within.
Because of the drawbacks, it would be best to limit the amount of tunnels to whats needed the most.

Fireeye

Augre
WFTO Backer
Dec 30, 2012
Ze Germany
I initially wondered why you would need to add tunnels when a large part of your dungeon CONSISTS of tunnels, but the name is somewhat misleading. I would suggest a name like "Imp Passage" or something along that line in order to reduce misunderstandings.
Regarding the idea itself, I like the idea of imps jumping in and out of the tunnels to transport gold back and forth. I initially was skeptical about the Tunnels' ability to instantly transport your Imps from point A to point B without direct intervention by the player, but seeing how it may only affects workers and some minor creatures, this may not be as unbalanced as a first thought. The ability to use enemy tunnels as a mean to spy out the enemy base could actually make this really interesting.

Medjay

Shadow
WFTO Backer
Aug 23, 2012
Canterbury
I just had an idea for an interesting variant that uses the 'imp-only room' tunnel idea and the 'imp-only door' idea, which may be useful for the game. How about a "room" (not really a room, but let's call it a room) that you can only place on your reinforced walls. The room creates a little fissure in the wall just large enough for blood imps to go though. This means you can connect up rooms with imp shortcuts to increase your efficiency without having to mine dedicated areas for imp-only rooms.

Check out the visuals:p

Tunnel Example PNG.png

Robofish

Necromancer
WFTO Founder
Dec 1, 2012
Surrey, laughing at how rubbish Sussex is.
I just had an idea for an interesting variant that uses the 'imp-only room' tunnel idea and the 'imp-only door' idea, which may be useful for the game. How about a "room" (not really a room, but let's call it a room) that you can only place on your reinforced walls. The room creates a little fissure in the wall just large enough for blood imps to go though. This means you can connect up rooms with imp shortcuts to increase your efficiency without having to mine dedicated areas for imp-only rooms.
I suspect this will more often be used for sending imps out of you walls into connecting neutral/enemy territory. If so I don't know whether that's a good or a bad thing.........

Aelius

Bafu
WFTO Backer
Jan 18, 2013
A Dungeon in Belgium

Check out the visuals:p

View attachment 367
Yeah, basically my idea :D
I like your illustration!

Medjay

Shadow
WFTO Backer
Aug 23, 2012
Canterbury
I suspect this will more often be used for sending imps out of you walls into connecting neutral/enemy territory. If so I don't know whether that's a good or a bad thing.........
Well, depends if enemy imps are able to access other Underlord's tunnels or not I guess. Also, I find it hard to believe that sending your imps into an enemy Underlord's base would be an especially profitable decision, but who knows, might be a killer move :)

Yeah, basically my idea :D
I like your illustration!

Robofish

Necromancer
WFTO Founder
Dec 1, 2012
Surrey, laughing at how rubbish Sussex is.
Well, depends if enemy imps are able to access other Underlord's tunnels or not I guess. Also, I find it hard to believe that sending your imps into an enemy Underlord's base would be an especially profitable decision, but who knows, might be a killer move :)
I was thinking it would allow you to scout out of an enclosed dungeon, before deciding to knock down your walls and expand.

Medjay

Shadow
WFTO Backer
Aug 23, 2012
Canterbury
I was thinking it would allow you to scout out of an enclosed dungeon, before deciding to knock down your walls and expand.
Ahh, right, I see. Good thinking, I suppose that could be quite an interesting strategy. I guess it depends how strong imps are (considering their efforts against the Juggernaut, probably not very). In any case, personally, I can't see this as being a bad strategy.

Medjay

Shadow
WFTO Backer
Aug 23, 2012
Canterbury
I suppose whether this is a useful idea or not depends a lot on whether, like in DK2, the walls effect a rooms efficiency. If they do, then placing tunnels would probably not be that useful, as it would be simply more efficient to just dig a hole and let all your minions though. At least if you are allowed to place tunnels which lead outside your dungeon, they have a little more of a use. However, if placing tunnels leading outside of dungeons is a problem, then only being able to place tunnels when you own both tiles on each side may be a good way to balance it.

ShadowTiger

Skarg
WFTO Founder
Dec 10, 2011
New York
I think it depends on the AI of the enemy underlord. Would they send their own Blood Imps out into the tunnel you've dug?

I do find the concept interesting, certainly. A tunnel probably doesn't even have to be a perpendicular-only walkway for Blood Imps and Blood Imps alone. It could be a tiny tunnel that can run inside any wall, but damages the structural integrity of the wall so that it can be penetrated that much more easily. So in general, you'd only want to have such tunnels running through the internals of your dungeon.

Pretty neat concept.

Jun 27, 2012
Well with this tunnel in mind I am more aiming at the problem of digging gold on the other side of the map and other remote locations, not just the other side of a wall where you could just place a secret door to achieve pretty much the same thing.

And yes, Imp passage or such would be a better name, I was not quite sure about what to name it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom