• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

Security Warning

Mozared

Juggernaut
WFTO Founder
Feb 17, 2013
I wouldn't trust those Subterranean Games boys as far as I can throw them. Shady bunch, always hiding in their dungeons...

Seriously though, @Alistair, come take a look!

Noontide

Designer / Community Manager
Brightrock Games
Dec 8, 2012
Brighton, UK
Hello,
i tried to visit this site the past days but firefox asking me always if i trust this site. This wasn´t the case before.

I receive this warning: http://pic.dhe.ibm.com/infocenter/r...stall.doc/images/security_warning_firefox.gif

Maybe it´s interesting for the site administrator.
Seems to me that since the server move this week some certificates haven't been updated as such your browser quite rightly doesn't trust the website.

I wouldn't be too concerned for now. Alistair likely just needs to update and renew the certificate.

Noontide

Designer / Community Manager
Brightrock Games
Dec 8, 2012
Brighton, UK
In the future please announce forum downtimes so we can expect this kind of errors after the servers are up again.
Most Dow times would not cause this to occur, usually only significant changes such as moving server. Essentially these warnings are in place to tell you that the site does not match the certificate and thus may not be the actual sute as it claims to be. Or something be ve sat between you and the site.

Alistair

Captain Graze Box
WFTO Founder
Dec 11, 2011
UK
Firstly I would like to apologize for this issue - I have been meaning to post on this all day but got a little distracted.

The problem should have been fixed earlier. As correctly pointed out by Lee this was caused by when we moved servers yesterday with a misconfig file/s.

In the future please announce forum down times so we can expect this kind of errors after the servers are up again.
The forum down time was posted on the forums a few hours before hand and also posted on our Facebook and Twitter. In future we will try and give more advanced notice.

Alistair

Captain Graze Box
WFTO Founder
Dec 11, 2011
UK
It was? I can't find any thread on the subject, or is it removed already? Also nobody blame me for not having Facebook or Twitter. :rolleyes:
I post it where the news updates go. You should still see the notice even if you dismissed the news notice.

newsdisplay.jpg

Yeah I am going blame you for not been on twitter/facebook :D

Alistair

Captain Graze Box
WFTO Founder
Dec 11, 2011
UK
Hello Total Badass.

I am going give you the short dumb down version.

We use encrypted (HTTPS) connection rather than a non-encrypted one (HTTP) unlike most other sites/forums.

This means all communication transmitted between you and our server is encrypted and not accessible for anyone to view which is called eavesdrop unlike HTTP protocol. All e-commerce and banking or any site in fact which you enter payment/sensitive information SHOULD use HTTPS or something such as your credit card information can be openly viewed by anyone.

Why do we use it?
We don't take card information nor do we hold sensitive information. So why do we use it? The short answer is because we can. Our CDN provider gives us it for free so no reason not to, when it providers extra security to yourself and us. There can be down sides to HTTPS which I'm not going go into unless someone wants to know.

Wait? What? I only asked why Firefox is saying this!
One of the scripts/images on the website is going to a non secure site in return Firefox is alerting you. Which is not much of problem due to as pointed out above.

Here is one of the reasons FireFox is alerting you to this.
As you can see it is using HTTP:// and not HTTPS:// which I need to fix :)

problem.jpg

Top Bottom