• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

Summoning the Vampire.

Jan 3, 2013
True i guess. Right now that's not really happening a lot since in skimish the maps are so small that you usually don't get a chance for a second battle. At some point one makes the attack and then one wins.

I could see that once you get larger maps with multiple players and the campaign that then you might be right.
If you try Steven on Master difficulty, you might have lots of small clashes instead. If you will go for 1 large fight too early, you may even end up losing your army, especially if you are not prepared. However if you are, you will surely have enough corpses, mostly from those beasts that will die from constant zapping.

Fireeye

Augre
WFTO Backer
Dec 30, 2012
Ze Germany
I think it is self-evident thast the current Vampire is little more than a placeholder and will undergo -major- changes in regards to his powers. That being said, I still wonder what his role compared to the three super-units will be, seeing how he seems to fill a similar niche.

Aug 28, 2014
I think I'd prefer it if the vampire were made easier to keep, rather than being buffed to super-unit levels in order to justify the difficulty of keeping it around. Maybe by reducing the number of sacrifices required to 2 or even 1, reducing the rate at which the vampire gets angry, reducing time between feeding, moving it lower down the tech tree so it can be acquired earlier and there's a bigger gap between it and the super units. Maybe even allow it to feed without killing, if the victim is high enough level or tough enough, instead leaving its victim weakened and angry.

There are lots of options for a vampire that's only a little bit above normal units in terms of utility and combat prowess; and it has its resurrection ability to make it interesting and distinctive. Personally I'd like to give it another cool ability on top of that, to make it really stand out. Vampires in DK2 could hypnotize enemy units into fighting on their side for a short while, so maybe something like that?

Huntress
WFTO Founder
Apr 20, 2012
Worthing, West Sussex
How about if the vampire only feeds on Pay Day? I think that's rare enough for it to not be an issue. I like the idea of it only weakening stronger units, perhaps something could be worked out so different units are worth different amounts of vampire food? ie it has to eat 3 Oculi/Skargs, or 1 Gnarling/Cultist/Chunder, but it wont kill an Augre or a Beastmaster, just weaken them severely (at level 1) maybe the same values could be used for sacrificing to get a Vampire too, to prevent people simply throwing away 3 Oculi, maybe increase it to 5 beasts, 3 basic units/advanced beasts, or 1 or 2 late game unit(s)?

Jan 3, 2013
What if he only kills a minion when any of his needs are not perfectly met?
Would make sense.

I personally don't understand why he has to kill his allies. If it is for blood, there are juicy piglets, or go have a bite on prisoners. Attacking allies should be the last thing for him to do, and should normally provoke aggression towards him, it makes no sense that vampire walks around attacking others without being punished.

mishko

Witch Doctor
WFTO Founder
Feb 27, 2012
Michigan
They said that the vampires will go for the prisoners first but if there are no prisoners he will rebel until his belly is full.

Huntress
WFTO Founder
Apr 20, 2012
Worthing, West Sussex
Would make sense.

I personally don't understand why he has to kill his allies. If it is for blood, there are juicy piglets, or go have a bite on prisoners. Attacking allies should be the last thing for him to do, and should normally provoke aggression towards him, it makes no sense that vampire walks around attacking others without being punished.
Feeding on prisoners is how it is supposed to work, I assume piglets do not quite quench his thirst for blood. Perhaps a way round it would be, the vampire loses health and happiness constantly, unless he has fed or killed recently, feeding on piglets would prevent the health loss for only 1 minute (for example) so he pretty much needs to feed on piglets constantly, making him pretty useless, but feeding on/killing a unit more like 5 minutes (for example, variable based on unit?), this would mean you can sacrifice a unit for a long period of peace or leave him to just eat loads of piglets. Feeding on piglets could also have no positive effect on health or happiness, just a pause effect, meaning letting him feed on piglets will mean he will eventually go mad, it will just take a long time.

Jan 3, 2013
Feeding on prisoners is how it is supposed to work, I assume piglets do not quite quench his thirst for blood. Perhaps a way round it would be, the vampire loses health and happiness constantly, unless he has fed or killed recently, feeding on piglets would prevent the health loss for only 1 minute (for example) so he pretty much needs to feed on piglets constantly, making him pretty useless, but feeding on/killing a unit more like 5 minutes (for example, variable based on unit?), this would mean you can sacrifice a unit for a long period of peace or leave him to just eat loads of piglets. Feeding on piglets could also have no positive effect on health or happiness, just a pause effect, meaning letting him feed on piglets will mean he will eventually go mad, it will just take a long time.
If he has such desire for blood, he should be able to satisfy himself during combat. I see no reason why he can't go and bite the K.O'ed victim and remain as happy as he would be if it was sitting in the prison.

Huntress
WFTO Founder
Apr 20, 2012
Worthing, West Sussex
If he has such desire for blood, he should be able to satisfy himself during combat. I see no reason why he can't go and bite the K.O'ed victim and remain as happy as he would be if it was sitting in the prison.
yeah that's what i meant when i said "killing a unit", killing in battle is just as good as killing in your own dungeon.

Oct 16, 2013
Agree that he's not really worth it at the moment, summoned one, he got unhappy rather fast and started attacking the dungeon core.

Last edited:

Psycix

Dryad
WFTO Founder
Jan 9, 2013
There are some good ideas in this thread!

I really like the idea where feeding on real kills is the only way to gain happiness, causing him to EVENTUALLY go mad if you don't feed anything. It would allow you to pause the process if you treat him right, but every small annoyance will stack up and eventually he needs to feed.

Top Bottom