• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

WFTO Wednesday #127: Patch 1.1 Now Available!

Psycix

Dryad
WFTO Founder
Jan 9, 2013
As much progress has been made in the past months, and as awesome as 1.1 is looking, I cannot understand why 1.1 is released in the presence of a long "known issues" list. What is this continuing urge to release so early? Why not fix the issues first, and then release 1.1?

Feb 27, 2013
Winnipeg
www.shadowedblade.net
As much progress has been made in the past months, and as awesome as 1.1 is looking, I cannot understand why 1.1 is released in the presence of a long "known issues" list. What is this continuing urge to release so early? Why not fix the issues first, and then release 1.1?
Because 'fixing issues' never stops in a game. Every time you fix an issue, a new issue is likely to crop up or be discovered. So if you just 'fix the issues before patching' you never patch.

Psycix

Dryad
WFTO Founder
Jan 9, 2013
Because 'fixing issues' never stops in a game. Every time you fix an issue, a new issue is likely to crop up or be discovered. So if you just 'fix the issues before patching' you never patch.
First off there is a difference between known issues and things that pop up later.
Secondly, we can compare WftO to other games; most early access titles have less issues than WftO now.

The main reason I think it's better to release late, though, is that 1.1's success is likely to determine whether or not the MP scene is going to be alive or dead in a few years. It is important to get it right, and the need to excel rather than meet the expectations count extra as to rectify the view some people have on WftO 1.0.

Noontide

Designer / Community Manager
Brightrock Games
Dec 8, 2012
Brighton, UK
I must say I can understand and completely appreciate your concern. It's easy to consider this an unacceptable risk when you consider there are known issues still present in the patch. While we've made every effort to ensure we closed off as many of them as we could these are the ones that we consider critical.

So what's the reason for releasing Patch 1.1 now? There are a few but the biggest one of all is the looming steam sale. The simple fact is that during the sale we expect an uptake in new users, new customers who are going to try the game for the first time. The question then is, what version of the game is most suitable to have public at that time, is it Patch 1.1 or 1.0.25? I think we can agree that in terms of putting our best foot forward 1.0.25 has far more problems than 1.1.

To add to that fact it's as someone said above, fixing issues never stops. We almost didn't stop fixing issues long enough to get 1.1 built, we could probably sit for weeks fixing up issues as they crop up or indeed ones in our backlog. But that would mean weeks until the next public patch.

We're continuing to work on the game over the next few days and we're hoping to have a minor patch out either today or tomorrow, though of course we'll be looking to test it before we push the fixes in it.

I hope that helps to clarify our reasoning. Btw I saw you just destroy Josh, good job ;)

Is this the same version as the latest on PTB?
There are an additional 7 fixes in 1.1 over 1.1PTB12 :)

Psycix

Dryad
WFTO Founder
Jan 9, 2013
I must say I can understand and completely appreciate your concern. It's easy to consider this an unacceptable risk when you consider there are known issues still present in the patch. While we've made every effort to ensure we closed off as many of them as we could these are the ones that we consider critical.

So what's the reason for releasing Patch 1.1 now? There are a few but the biggest one of all is the looming steam sale. The simple fact is that during the sale we expect an uptake in new users, new customers who are going to try the game for the first time. The question then is, what version of the game is most suitable to have public at that time, is it Patch 1.1 or 1.0.25? I think we can agree that in terms of putting our best foot forward 1.0.25 has far more problems than 1.1.

To add to that fact it's as someone said above, fixing issues never stops. We almost didn't stop fixing issues long enough to get 1.1 built, we could probably sit for weeks fixing up issues as they crop up or indeed ones in our backlog. But that would mean weeks until the next public patch.

We're continuing to work on the game over the next few days and we're hoping to have a minor patch out either today or tomorrow, though of course we'll be looking to test it before we push the fixes in it.

I hope that helps to clarify our reasoning. Btw I saw you just destroy Josh, good job ;)

There are an additional 7 fixes in 1.1 over 1.1PTB12 :)
Thanks for the reply!
The steam sale is a good reason. My concerns were mainly focused on maximizing the updraft from releasing 1.1, but steam summer sales are a good point. Sale hasn't started now though... ;)
I hope we can get most of the things out of the way before the sale hits, just played a very buggy game against Beneathar (will make reports in a moment). I can see the logic now, but depending on when the sale comes in, there's a lot of work to be done in a short time. Good luck!

I had great fun obliterating Josh.
The lack of resistance made me think he likes being dominated. :oops: Sadly for him, I finished it off before I even fired up a torture chamber...

SlyGoat

Firebreather
May 18, 2013
Florida
Thanks for the reply!
The steam sale is a good reason. My concerns were mainly focused on maximizing the updraft from releasing 1.1, but steam summer sales are a good point. Sale hasn't started now though... ;)
I hope we can get most of the things out of the way before the sale hits, just played a very buggy game against Beneathar (will make reports in a moment). I can see the logic now, but depending on when the sale comes in, there's a lot of work to be done in a short time. Good luck!

I had great fun obliterating Josh.
The lack of resistance made me think he likes being dominated. :oops: Sadly for him, I finished it off before I even fired up a torture chamber...
The dates were leaked; the sale starts the 11th. I wasn't remotely surprised to see the update pushed.

Gzanothor

Dwarven Worker
Jun 12, 2015
First of all thanks for putting the time and effort inton the fixes, im really impressed with the quick match loadings

BUT

I still can't get past mission 9. Pre patch was the Threads problem, now the enemy wave simply dosen't spawn. It worked for the first try (upon which i was slaughtered) but on a retry they simply didn't spawn. THe countdown tickes down and the bar dissapeares... so i killed everything in sight, and still nothing. !!!

Alistair

Captain Graze Box
WFTO Founder
Dec 11, 2011
UK
First of all thanks for putting the time and effort inton the fixes, im really impressed with the quick match loadings

BUT

I still can't get past mission 9. Pre patch was the Threads problem, now the enemy wave simply dosen't spawn. It worked for the first try (upon which i was slaughtered) but on a retry they simply didn't spawn. THe countdown tickes down and the bar dissapeares... so i killed everything in sight, and still nothing. !!!
Hello Gzanothor.

Are you loading from a save game? We're currently aware of an issue in patch 1.1.1 effecting saved games not working as intended. Currently you will have to start the level without loading from a save.

Top Bottom