• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.
  • Notice the new look? We've updated to a new version of Xenforo, please read our latest post.

WFTO Wednesday #32: The Necromancer's New Clothes

Castigator

Gargoyle
Backer
Dec 30, 2012
Germany
The Necromancer looks like a Necromancer! I am not joking, the Necromancer's looks finally give away his profession and with the Witch Doctor being confirmed, we have very interesting game mechanisms linked to both of them.
Let's get a closer look at the Necromancer. His robe has got a spectacular rework. What was formerly only roughly stitched hide with some loose bones for makeshift decoration is now a delicate robe with fine bone ornaments, and rather elaborate cut. His boots, belt and bracers are likely enchanted to offer some protection to his body.
The details of his body give away, that he was not the type of person to put emphasis on physical training, prior to his undeath. Which is good, as he has proven competent enough to evade his own mortality and become undead himself. His facial expression doesn't give away any kind of emotion, which would be unnecessary to this practitioner of the dark arts, anyway. His staff still has bone ornaments and other elaborate decorations. It is also much sturdier now, as it consists mostly of metal. Due to its desgn however, it is unlikely that he uses his staff for anything other than dark magic, unless he is forced to do so. Overall, the Necromancer strikes me as someone, who has learned many secrets of life and death and uses this power to pursue his own goals. He might see necromancy as a form of science, which is a good reason for the citizens of the empire to fear him and the clerics might want to kill him, because they see him as a blasphemer, who disturbs the natural order. He couldn't care less about the concerns of lesser minds, though. This is, what I see in his new appearance and I am pleased with how he turned out.

Medjay

Shadow
Backer
Aug 23, 2012
Canterbury
Woah, guys, I think that new necro is seriously awesome... I was kinda hoping for a skeleton-ish creature, so to have a skeleton-esk creature in charge of more skeleton-esk creatures is really cool. Nice work there!

Simburgur

Managing Director
Dev Team
Nov 10, 2011
Brighton, UK
www.twitter.com
Just a quick question, do ghouls follow the Necromancer? If so, what happens to the ghouls if you pick up the Necromancer?
Visuals are TBD, but they will essentially disappear and then reappear when he is dropped again. And yes, Ghouls are tied to a Necromancer. If a Necromancer dies they become neutral (hostile) until they see another Necromancer.

Evi

Witch Doctor
Backer
Nov 14, 2011
There better be a Ghoul soundclip of them grunting out "Wazzup".

Otherwise, this pleases my need for a skeleton, and the Necromancer is looking pretty good, rocking out his new clothes.

I'll miss that large bone-jaw though... *Sniff*

Hejoba

Warden
Backer
Jan 14, 2013
Maechu, Farseer of Ulthwé:
"They will seek to harvest us at first, for they will be hungry after their long sleep. Then they will turn their efforts to enslaving the survivors. The galaxy will bleed the stench of death into the void, and it will attract the others of their kind. We must choose unity or death."
Morillia, Harlequin Shadowseer:
"It was silent as the void, and to look upon it was to know terror. It drifted above us with slow, liquid grace, and its gaze caused madness and despair wherever it fell. those it came near took their own lives rather than endure its hellish presence."

RachniKiller

Gargoyle
Backer
Dec 12, 2012
Visuals are TBD, but they will essentially disappear and then reappear when he is dropped again. And yes, Ghouls are tied to a Necromancer. If a Necromancer dies they become neutral (hostile) until they see another Necromancer.
so if i kill an enemy necromancer and i have necromancer, i can steal his?

Badwolf699

Juggernaut
Founder
Dec 18, 2011
Enjou will be so happy that their are ghouls for his Necromancer.
The boobs are a huge imrpovement By Joris your sales will go up 25% or more.

mishko

Witch Doctor
Founder
Feb 27, 2012
Michigan
I love the new necromancer look. I wasn't a very big fan of the previous necromancer. Also love how the ghouls are a similar shape to Warcraft III ghouls. Only disappointment is I was expecting a steam update.

Medjay

Shadow
Backer
Aug 23, 2012
Canterbury
Oh, by the way, my cactus, which qualifies as undead, greatly praises your improvements to the necromancer and looks forward to see it in game. He also hopes your present is in fact a ghoul cactus pet.

photo.JPG

Castigator

Gargoyle
Backer
Dec 30, 2012
Germany
Someone needs to make a smaller image of the necromancer. I wish to raise threads with style and worthwhile contributions.
Out of curiosity: Is there a cap to how many Ghouls a Necromancer can have at once? Do they gain levels according to the Necromancer, who is controlling them? I can imagine that a Necromancer, who is wielding an army of 32 or even 64 Ghouls, is a threat to even the most fortified Dungeons. He can turn the corpses of newly defeated enemies into additional soldiers. If you were to unleash a level 10 Necromancer onto an unprepared enemy, it would look like a lawine of corpses, that gains additional momentum for every additional casualty.
Edit: I might pick up a Necromancer and drop him on the other side of the map to see his ghouls run after him. Then repeat. Practical jokes and humour can be layered with repetition for more fun.

Simburgur

Managing Director
Dev Team
Nov 10, 2011
Brighton, UK
www.twitter.com
Someone needs to make a smaller image of the necromancer. I wish to raise threads with style and worthwhile contributions.
Out of curiosity: Is there a cap to how many Ghouls a Necromancer can have at once? Do they gain levels according to the Necromancer, who is controlling them? I can imagine that a Necromancer, who is wielding an army of 32 or even 64 Ghouls, is a threat to even the most fortified Dungeons. He can turn the corpses of newly defeated enemies into additional soldiers. If you were to unleash a level 10 Necromancer onto an unprepared enemy, it would look like a lavine of corpses, that gains additional momentum for every additional casualty.
I don't plan for there to be a limit, but that will most certainly change if it turns out to be broken. Ghouls do not have a level or gain experience, their power is always flat.

Top Bottom