• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

WFTO Wednesday #35: The Arcanist

May 9, 2013
www.youtube.com
When designing the Arcanist, having her maintain the wizard feel was top priority. My original sketches had her looking more warrior-like and it wasn't fitting the character. So, after we all talked about it, it was agreed upon that she needed the classic wizard robe look. Hope you all like it!
A battle mage unit would be pretty awesome to see as well. I'm thinking the juggernaut with a hammer that shoots lightning :p. Perhaps I just want to see Thor in the game haha

Amon

Huntress
Apr 14, 2012
Somewhere
subterraneangames.com
My focus in college was Industrial Design; product design with a major focus in vehicles. Creatures and characters do come natural. I've been drawing horrific things since I was 3. That's almost 30 years of creating nightmares;)
You... You acknowledged the title I gave you in the Giving Credit thread! That makes it official *evil grin*

On a side note to Alistair... Why do we still not have an Evil Grin smiley?

Kormai

Priestess
Jul 29, 2013
Good because I like this update but still feel the Vampire is being held tauntingly out of reach. Also loving the increase of the updates for beta, those lights look fairly eerie yet we can see what we are doing :rolleyes:
They will reveal all traps before they reveal the vampire to us *grins*
Nice job guys , love the creature and the rooms lightning.
I hope you guys got it working before revealing it this time though (would hate that patches are withheld because you revealed something that gave some unexpected issues, dont get me wrong think you guys are doing a great job

CobraFox13

Dwarven Worker
Dec 25, 2012
Surprisingly the lighting is probably my favorite part of this update, not plain but also unique, makes each room look a much cooler. it will also probably help with navigating the dungeon a little too.

Love it.

RachniKiller

Gargoyle
WFTO Backer
Dec 12, 2012
When designing the Arcanist, having her maintain the wizard feel was top priority. My original sketches had her looking more warrior-like and it wasn't fitting the character. So, after we all talked about it, it was agreed upon that she needed the classic wizard robe look. Hope you all like it!
Love your work. Got any older work we could see unrelated to war for the overworld?

Injek

Blood Imp
Sep 3, 2013
I dunno. I mean, it's not like mages are known for wearing tons of armor... but you'd think someone going underground to fight demons would at least try to prevent scraped knees. Just strikes me as a very, very odd design choice.

Anyway, the overall model looks great. Something about armor (or the lack thereof) in video games always rustles me softly.

Simburgur

Managing Director
Brightrock Games
Nov 10, 2011
Brighton, UK
www.twitter.com
I dunno. I mean, it's not like mages are known for wearing tons of armor... but you'd think someone going underground to fight demons would at least try to prevent scraped knees. Just strikes me as a very, very odd design choice.

Anyway, the overall model looks great. Something about armor (or the lack thereof) in video games always rustles me softly.
She's actually deliberately meant to look like paper. Even without her passive, she is one of the squishiest characters in the game.

RMJ

Priestess
Jan 3, 2013
Denmark
The room lighting is defintely helping to bring that atmospheric underground look and feel. Still hope it will become darker like Dungeon keeper.

But its definitely nice progress :)

I still feel like the green lights op top of the wall, needs an overhaul, like you gave those on the floor tiles. Those on top of the wall, they are to distracting and catches your eye way to often. You dont need to constantly be reminded which walls are yours, they just need to convay that in a subtle way.

Keep up good work. Thing are really starting to come together now.

Enjou

Ember Demon
WFTO Backer
Jan 10, 2012
Awesome Empire unit. The Arcanist definitely has a nice glass cannon feel - she looks powerful yet fragile.

Love the lighting in the new update preview as well.

Injek

Blood Imp
Sep 3, 2013
She's actually deliberately meant to look like paper. Even without her passive, she is one of the squishiest characters in the game.

Looks squishy without the exposed midriff / legs. It doesn't matter, like I said, I do like the model. I'm just being nit-picky, it's a huge pet peeve of mine when armor has randomly open sections that really have no business not being covered.

Jun 28, 2012
The room lighting is defintely helping to bring that atmospheric underground look and feel. Still hope it will become darker like Dungeon keeper.

But its definitely nice progress :)

I still feel like the green lights op top of the wall, needs an overhaul, like you gave those on the floor tiles. Those on top of the wall, they are to distracting and catches your eye way to often. You dont need to constantly be reminded which walls are yours, they just need to convay that in a subtle way.

Keep up good work. Thing are really starting to come together now.
Yeah I agree. Lighting looks good, but the green tiles need a change. I dont really mind the color itself (even though red is my fav color, I can live with green), I just dont think the color should be coming off the way it does. I would much rather prefer inset gemstones that matched your groups color. These arent search lights, they are tile markers.

Top Bottom