• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

WFTO Wednesday #35: The Arcanist

Meh, why do You make imperial unit so amazing... Instead of killing them I will more likely talk them over (except bard and any pixies) to my side..

Oh and
  • Arcane Storm (Special): The Arcanist lets out a devastating storm on top of an enemy unit, dealing heavy damage and stunning any nearby enemy units.
I thought the lighting spell could do the same, but to single creature dealing less damaga than AS. Only stunning lighting spell is irrational...

Per-room lighting looks very nice, modern and give more undergroundish atmosphere.

...but Archive still doesn't look like Archive, only one stock of something and one book instead of bookshelves etc, it seems to eto empty.

On the website Treasure Room has name Vault, so that is a new name of this chamber?

Last edited:

agustis

Blood Imp
Sep 5, 2013
Thanks for the update, Arcanist looks very promising to me.

As far as the lighting goes, all of them look pretty nice except for the treasury one in my opinion. It seems a bit to dark, I feel like the treasury should be very bright and extremely decorated.

Tommonius

Necromancer
WFTO Backer
Dec 15, 2012
Wolverhampton
I dunno. I mean, it's not like mages are known for wearing tons of armor... but you'd think someone going underground to fight demons would at least try to prevent scraped knees. Just strikes me as a very, very odd design choice.

Anyway, the overall model looks great. Something about armor (or the lack thereof) in video games always rustles me softly.
What does armour mean to people who can rip the fabric of reality apart with there minds, I assume Arcanists are a bit snobbish when viewing there comrades in armour to be honest.

Looks squishy without the exposed midriff / legs. It doesn't matter, like I said, I do like the model. I'm just being nit-picky, it's a huge pet peeve of mine when armor has randomly open sections that really have no business not being covered.
Well there is a aesthetic choice which is obvious and perhaps it has greater lore meaning, the robe is like that specifically to show off those awesome runes that will glow when in game, it would be a very plain unit perhaps without it (I like those runes a lot) Also as for lore perhaps the Arcanist needs to have them exposed to help in spell casting

I hope she can wear knee stockings and shorter skirt
*raises eyebrow slowly*

Perhaps seeing as so many people were hoping the Succubus would look different (and as many wanting it kept as it is) we could have a scantily clad female model to keep you all happy that is a genuine minion unit.

Meh, why do You make imperial unit so amazing... Instead of killing them I will more likely talk them over (except bard and any pixies) to my side..
Well I have always been like this, in Dungeon keeper I am the "collector" any unit caught is going to be converted the hard way and I always try to have a few of each to see them all scuttling through my dungeon.

I might have one Bard just so I can torture him regularly (smug faced b******) Also pixies? Are they confirmed? Because if so I would love something like the old dungeon keeper fairies (damn powerful and great to posses but ripped like wet paper at the first sign of an attack)

Quote ===== [[What does armour mean to people who can rip the fabric of reality apart with there minds, I assume Arcanists are a bit snobbish when viewing there comrades in armour to be honest.]]

In regards to Tommonius' comments --
The Arcanist will be a compelling character and idea within the narrative -- assuming what I currently envision turns out to be workable within the greater story & narrative. We'll see how it all shakes out over the next few weeks.

Simburgur

Managing Director
Brightrock Games
Nov 10, 2011
Brighton, UK
www.twitter.com

Looks squishy without the exposed midriff / legs. It doesn't matter, like I said, I do like the model. I'm just being nit-picky, it's a huge pet peeve of mine when armor has randomly open sections that really have no business not being covered.
Also wanted the bare skin for the tattoos, which have gameplay relevance (brighter tattoos > higher stacks of her passive > more damage, more squishy).

Tommonius

Necromancer
WFTO Backer
Dec 15, 2012
Wolverhampton
Quote ===== [[What does armour mean to people who can rip the fabric of reality apart with there minds, I assume Arcanists are a bit snobbish when viewing there comrades in armour to be honest.]]

In regards to Tommonius' comments --
The Arcanist will be a compelling character and idea within the narrative -- assuming what I currently envision turns out to be workable within the greater story & narrative. We'll see how it all shakes out over the next few weeks.
cool, the thing I am liking a lot with the design currently is that minions and empire units not only have purpose but we know why they are fighting such as the Huntress who has a good backstory, looking forward to hearing about the Arcanist.

Also wanted the bare skin for the tattoos, which have gameplay relevance (brighter tattoos > higher stacks of her passive > more damage, more squishy).
I suspected that the runes had a purpose other than eye candy and had to be shown, also the Arcanist can quickly become a force to be reckoned with if it gets to warm up and start stacking spells,will there be some kind of spellbreaker unit specific to silencing mages ala warcraft 3 units like spellbreakers and fairy dragons?

cool, the thing I am liking a lot with the design currently is that minions and empire units not only have purpose but we know why they are fighting such as the Huntress who has a good backstory, looking forward to hearing about the Arcanist.
That's the goal with every unit. Some may fall short, but the vast majority should work out as intended ;)

Medjay

Shadow
WFTO Backer
Aug 23, 2012
Canterbury
I like the Arcanist. Just a quick question though, in the most recent build, the Juggers armour markings change colour, so I was wondering, does that mean the Arcanist's tattoo/markings come in different colours too? :)

Castigator

Gargoyle
WFTO Backer
Dec 30, 2012
Germany
One question about her passive: Will it stack like x1,1/x1,21/x1,33/x1,46/x1,61/x1,77/x1,95/x2,14/x2,36/x2,59 or will it stack as
x1,1/x1,2/x1,3/x1,4/x1,5/x1,6/x1,7/x1,8/x1,9/x2,0 ? The former is multiplicative, while the latter is simple linear growth. Since it increases both damage done and damage taken, the arcanist might become a one hitpoint wonder anyways, while she is fully charged. Will her death animation involve her losing control over the magic energy stored in her body and subsequently exploding? That would bring back memories of units, that were exploded by enemy meteors. Nothing says overkill like, when the enemy has to carry his fallen units back in paper bags.
Edit: The room specific lighting looks very atmospheric. There is just one thing I wolud like to say about the heaps of gold in the treasury. When there is lots of gold, there are a few chests added. Onto a heap of gold. Would these chests contain other things of value, such as gemstones, baubles or artifacts?
Explanation: Her stackable bonus can be calculated as a factor, so when I write x1,1 this is a multiplication of her total damage by 1,1.

Last edited:

Tommonius

Necromancer
WFTO Backer
Dec 15, 2012
Wolverhampton
That's the goal with every unit. Some may fall short, but the vast majority should work out as intended ;)
good to know, will the Arcanist be exclusively female model?

also I remember a thought that units may have minor facial differences to set them apart from others of the same unit, is that still on the table, if not never mind as it is minor and gives nothing to the gameplay.

Also the stacking say if the Arcanist has 10 stacks and the timer is about to run out and reset would another spell refresh the timer back to the full 10 stacks, so can they keep powered up if uninterrupted or do they have to reset there magic stacks.

Medjay

Shadow
WFTO Backer
Aug 23, 2012
Canterbury
Will it stack like x1,1/x1,21/x1,33/x1,46/x1,61/x1,77/x1,95/x2,14/x2,36/x2,59
I may not be the sharpest knife in the draw sometimes...but what do these symbols mean? :D
I mean, where does the 21 come from and how does that get to 33, then 46?

May 16, 2013
UK
Love them tats, they remind me of fable. Specifically fable 1 where I made an evil, shirtless*, 2H axe wielding barbarian dude, he was awesome and had especially awesome magic tats :D.

*cos clothes got in the way of the tats, and who wants that?

Kormai

Priestess
Jul 29, 2013
I wonder, it says the Arcanist will kill whoever threatens her research. So if i assault a hero base and promise to leave her research alone she wont be aggressive??? *evil grins*

Mozared

Juggernaut
WFTO Founder
Feb 17, 2013
I wonder, it says the Arcanist will kill whoever threatens her research. So if i assault a hero base and promise to leave her research alone she wont be aggressive??? *evil grins*
No, that's James talking :p

Then again, we might do a thing where she becomes hyper-aggressive if attacked while researching or such. It's a thought.

Top Bottom