• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

WFTO Wednesday #44: The Dryad

Jun 11, 2013
Very nice! The game is turning into the evil vision the fans have been waiting for. I have been promoting the game here in the states, and getting you a few more underlords. The Dyrad looks very slick. I cannot wait to punish it. Also, I just bought a Gibson Les Paul Studio. I am contemplating on putting a WftO theme on it. :p I will wait and see what the cover art looks like on the hard copy when I get it. As usual, you bunch of wild and crazies............. Keep up the good work!

RMJ

Priestess
Jan 3, 2013
Denmark
Maybe its just me, but i wouldn mind it being less humanoid, as in, instead of having 2 legs and feet. It would have a tree trunk for legs, and its feet would be like x amount of smaller roots moving it along or something like that.

Otherwise i love the concept for dryad

Jul 24, 2013
Just me or is it a little bit boring that she has two root spells? The art looks fantastic! Cookie to whoever designed her

Tommonius

Necromancer
WFTO Backer
Dec 15, 2012
Wolverhampton
Just me or is it a little bit boring that she has two root spells? The art looks fantastic! Cookie to whoever designed her
well one stuns them and one merely immobilizes them, the immobilizes one hits everyone around the target so I am sure in game they will look sufficiently different, I am mostly curious on how the Dryad will melee attack, will it fire branch darts or sort of do a branch whip or perhaps something else.

Maybe its just me, but i wouldn mind it being less humanoid, as in, instead of having 2 legs and feet. It would have a tree trunk for legs, and its feet would be like x amount of smaller roots moving it along or something like that.

Otherwise i love the concept for dryad
I am in two minds about this, the savage beastly looking empire unit appeals to me most but now we know it is a support unit that stuns/ heals/ immobilizes and I guess the cleaner more humanoid version fits it better with that in mind.

I dunno I just want my beastly enemy empire unit that looks so fierce to have the attack abilities to back it up, the Juggernaut merely does it for me but I would love a truly horrific looking empire unit that is hard to fight against and I could imagine my minions being absolutely terrified of it ( just imagining the avatar in DK1 striding into your dungeon and when you kill it it resurrects with high level heroes surrounding it)

edit note: how will it be tortured, Hit it with an axe? prod it with candles? smack with it's own branch on fire? Sarcastically sprayed with a watering can? With living trees who are the guardian of nature the ways to torment it are endless.

Last edited:

toffeejay

Crackpot
WFTO Founder
Dec 25, 2011
Another well designed Empire creature. Keep them coming.

Wondering if they need more standard fighters though?? Just Firebreather, Templer and Juggernaut so far. Balance seems to be heavy on support side?

Mozared

Juggernaut
WFTO Founder
Feb 17, 2013
Wondering if they need more standard fighters though?? Just Firebreather, Templer and Juggernaut so far. Balance seems to be heavy on support side?
How so? We've revealed the Templar, Firebreather and Juggernaut as melee/brawler units, the Priestess, Bard and Dryad as Support/CC units, the Arcanist and Huntress as ranged damage dealers and the Inquisitor as 1v1 "assassin". If you'd draw that up in a pie graph that would make 33% support and 67% "other stuff".

Lord of Riva

The Lord
WFTO Founder
Dec 29, 2012
Man. thats what you call a dryad? you guys suck a dryad has to be a green colored slim girl with giants Breasts !!1111!!!!

i love the design guys :D awesome work again how much would i need to pay your Artwork artist to make a picture for me? :D

Medjay

Shadow
WFTO Backer
Aug 23, 2012
Canterbury
My first interpretation of a Dryad is like that of Age of Mythology. I rather like the design because it is really close to the AoM Dryad design. It's rather funny how different games/media can affect what you perceive to be the correct way something should look.

Anafilaxis

Warden
WFTO Backer
Mar 2, 2013
Canada
Im actually quite happy with the design of the Dryad. I do agree maybe the feet could look less human and more tree root kinda, but nevertheless the design looks awesome specially wih the vines around her.

toffeejay

Crackpot
WFTO Founder
Dec 25, 2011
How so? We've revealed the Templar, Firebreather and Juggernaut as melee/brawler units, the Priestess, Bard and Dryad as Support/CC units, the Arcanist and Huntress as ranged damage dealers and the Inquisitor as 1v1 "assassin". If you'd draw that up in a pie graph that would make 33% support and 67% "other stuff".

Support probably wasn't the correct word. I meant just non mele/brawler units. It doesn't actually seem that off I suppose but looking at that it's still 3 vs 5/6 .

Correct me if I'm wrong but I'm seeing about 7 underlord creatures who would be brawlers versus maybe 4 non brawler?

Huntress
WFTO Founder
Apr 20, 2012
Worthing, West Sussex
Support probably wasn't the correct word. I meant just non mele/brawler units. It doesn't actually seem that off I suppose but looking at that it's still 3 vs 5/6 .

Correct me if I'm wrong but I'm seeing about 7 underlord creatures who would be brawlers versus maybe 4 non brawler?
Underlords are different from the Empire, as a player you want a lot of variety in your dungeon, however, when going up against Empire units, variety is less of an issue,
For a start, the empire is made up of less races, mostly Humans, Elves, and Dwarves, we could have loads of types of brawlers but without having to introduce more races, they would start to be overly similar, and be redundant, better would be to just have to bunch a small army of Templars, which hopefully may not all look identical in the final game anyway.

Also if you think about games like Diablo, how many player "good-guy" classes are there, compared to enemy evil creatures? With too much variety in the Empire/Good guys we would start to see character archetypes that are not familiar or recognisable.

In all, the Empire really only needs one or two creatures in each niche, and doesn't need worker creatures anyway, so where ion the Underlord side, there are more creatures that fill the same niche in combat, each of those creatures has a different niche in the dungeon, but the Empire ONLY have combat.

Tommonius

Necromancer
WFTO Backer
Dec 15, 2012
Wolverhampton
In all, the Empire really only needs one or two creatures in each niche, and doesn't need worker creatures anyway, so where ion the Underlord side, there are more creatures that fill the same niche in combat, each of those creatures has a different niche in the dungeon, but the Empire ONLY have combat.
Okay this is very interesting when it comes to a potential empire campaign, will the mechanics be the same as the Underlord campaign or will it play differently (no building up a dungeon) or will it be solved by making new empire units perhaps from different races to bulk out the hero dungeons to give variety and utility or is this all way to soon to speculate?

Huntress
WFTO Founder
Apr 20, 2012
Worthing, West Sussex
Okay this is very interesting when it comes to a potential empire campaign, will the mechanics be the same as the Underlord campaign or will it play differently (no building up a dungeon) or will it be solved by making new empire units perhaps from different races to bulk out the hero dungeons to give variety and utility or is this all way to soon to speculate?
Empire Campaign isn't a done deal, but I expect if there is an empire campaign with actual building and dungeon mechanics, some creatures would have to be reworked to fill worker roles (some are pretty obvious eg Juggernaut = Augre Equivalent, Inquisitor = Succubus Equivalent etc), maybe some new creatures would have to be introduced but It wouldn't be as simple as level design. if there's not enough money for all that, maybe the Empire simply work out how to enslave the evil minions!?

Mozared

Juggernaut
WFTO Founder
Feb 17, 2013
I should note that we already have plans to make Empire units compatible with an Underlord dungeon that will likely get in as they'll be fairly necessary and relatively easy to implement. As in: if you only get Empire units, you will still be able to work all your rooms, even if it doesn't play as elegant. We're looking at games being played with Empire units being a possibility. It's low on the priority list, though.

theMarg0r

Dryad
WFTO Backer
Dec 28, 2012
Under a killing Spoon
I should note that we already have plans to make Empire units compatible with an Underlord dungeon that will likely get in as they'll be fairly necessary and relatively easy to implement. As in: if you only get Empire units, you will still be able to work all your rooms, even if it doesn't play as elegant. We're looking at games being played with Empire units being a possibility. It's low on the priority list, though.
So the game doesn't become unwinnably difficult in the... unlikely event that you lose all your evil creatures and portals and only have converted heroes. Good. :p

Jan 7, 2012
Woha, I will LOVE this unit.
But, I just want to know, what room or condition attracts a Dryad to enter my dungeon?

Sep 20, 2013
Parts Unknown
Is it possible to play as the Hero faction in a skirmish or multiplayer match? That would be very interesting. Maybe implement a game mode that involves Player controlled empire faction. That sounds like a good idea!

Top Bottom