• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.
  • Notice the new look? We've updated to a new version of Xenforo, please read our latest post.

Why are there so few traps and defences?

SeriousToni

Dwarven Worker
Sep 18, 2018
At first I want to say I just LOVE that game and I was looking for a DK follow up since many, many years. I love what the developers did and I am mostly happy with the new editor and the mighty script. Excellent work!

But progressing in the campaign I really wonder why there are just so few traps and defences? Dungeon Keeper was great in building evil traps for enemies who are about to break into your dungeon. In WFTO I feel it's more just a matter to setup a rally flag if someone breaks into your dungeon, instead of killing them with traps & Defences.

DK2 had many traps:

Traps in Dungeon Keeper 2:
and also many different doors. It really seems to me that most of them are missing in WFTO. Or am I completely wrong?

Thank you for your feedback, suggestions and kind words on my humble posts! :)

Nutter

Frost Weaver
Founder
Jan 19, 2013
Huddersfield, UK
nutter666.tumblr.com
You are correct in the sense that WFTO doesn't have most of the traps that DK/DK2 had. In addition, it also Constructs which are kinda like traps but work slightly differently, if you're focused purely on things that work as "traps" then WFTO has:
  • Bombard (Similar to Sentry Trap)
  • Bone Chiller (Similar to Freeze Trap)
  • Storm Vortex (Similar to Lightning Trap)
  • Blade Lotus (Similar to Spike Trap - Not similar enough though!)
  • Alchemine (Which turns almost any of the potions from the game into a "bomb", so is technically usable as multiple types of trap)
  • Sentinel
  • Gargoyle
  • Well of Souls
So it's a similar number of traps as the DK games had, they're just different ones instead of copying DK.

SeriousToni

Dwarven Worker
Sep 18, 2018
Thank you for this detailed answer to my concerns! As I said I am very pleased with the game (although I am not through the whole campaign yet) and the special functions like the level editor.
I understand the idea of not just copying the DK games. Maybe I need to try out the current traps (and constructs) a little more in My Pet Dungeon Mode to get a better understanding. (But especially for the "My Pet Dungeon" Mode I wish I had some more of the classic doors, but I guess this is just more of a cosmetic thing).

Noontide

Award Winning Community Manager
Dev Team
Dec 8, 2012
Brighton, UK
It should be noted that all the defences in WFTO typically have more functionality or additional special abilities. They're generally more involved than their counterparts in other Dungeon Management Games so despite the number being more limited the quality should be higher.

SeriousToni

Dwarven Worker
Sep 18, 2018
That is absolutely correct. I like the idea of getting the player involved in defences actively, instead of just placing the traps in a "fire & forget" system. A nice innovation to the default Dungeon Management system.

Top Bottom