1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1.3 Map Editor Suggestion Mega Thread

Discussion in 'Suggestion Archive' started by Ian Robindon, Dec 17, 2015.

1. Ian Robindon

Ian Robindon Dwarven Worker

This is a huge thread for you all to post map editor suggestions.

My suggestion for empire hero portals.

Right click to toggle allow destruction if owned by empire.

A small 4x4 marker (Invisible in game, not the editor) that can be linked to an empire portal. Unites will spawn from this portal and make their way to this area. Attacking / mining anything inbetween. Time between spawns can be customised.

Hunteil likes this.
  2. Nutter

Nutter Inquisitor Founder

I assume you mean the gateway would be destroyed/closed when claimed rather than converted to your own faction?

This is the kind of thing that MightyQuest (the Scripting system for the game) handles, the hopeful eventual plan to expose MQ (or the useful parts of it) within the editor to allow public map scripting, which would allow for things like this as well as a lot more complex scripting as well.

That being said, a master thread like this is a great idea but let me just list off a few features which are already implemented or planned to be implemented already:

• Random Gold (as another option for use when painting gold veins into tiles)
    • Mirrored Defenses - When using the mirror tools, defenses will be copied/mirrored too
    • Mirrored Unit Levels - A level 5 minion will still be level 5 when mirrored, rather than the new one being created at level 1.

3. AdxUndead

AdxUndead Ghoul

Triggers and beacons for events patrol and spawn IE Starcraft map editor. Timer and spwaning rules on gateways eg. No gnarlings or creatures spawning at defined levels.
    I Like a hero gate great idea that would help with making challenging co op vs empire maps because empire don't warband they need OP guys that scale with you.

4. Nutter

Again, MightyQuest would handle this kind of thing too.

5. Ian Robindon

It's so awesome that an actual developer is taking time to respond to these.

But in response to your question, to avoid confusion, we could have two separate empire gates.
    One claimable one, that's it's basic function. And another one that can be destroyed, have rally points set.

Nutter likes this.
  6. Nutter

I think that would be a little bit overkill (as well as taking up extra space in the editor's UI) - Adding a toggle to the Gateway's options would probably work just fine without needing an extra icon in the UI. As for the Rally Points thing, that's another job for MightyQuest one day.

Last edited: Dec 18, 2015
  7. Ian Robindon

Sounds good!

Also a really basic "Character creator" for empire boss units. You'd unlock different armour pieces and stuff from doing the campaign. And basically design an empire boss unit, from his ability's to his armor and AI pattern. Would be good for custom pve maps.

I understand that this would be horribly complicated to add but it was worth throwing it out there tbh.
    Imagine creating a fucking huge beefcake guy in armor just to give him priest ability's.

8. Noontide

Noontide Award Winning Community Manager Dev Team

Just jumping in to quickly clear up some confusion. Nutter is a senior member of our fantastic QA Team but I'd like to clarify that he can't always accurately represent the development team. He's certainly not wrong in a lot of what he says but I want to ensure that expectations meet the reality of what is likely to be delievered.

In the team we absolutely adore the map editor, it's a job well done and something we're extremely proud of. It's incredible to see the uptake in people using it and the wide range of maps coming out, honestly I think it's certainly landed above expectations in the reception we've received.

I think it's fairly clear to us how we could take what we have and improve it further, there are many things we'd love to do and one of the biggest would be exposing Mighty Quest for the public to use. This alone would increase the capabilities of the editor dramatically. But we also understand that such a major feature would be a significant undertaking, requiring as much, if not significantly more time to implement, test and document than the rest of the editor combined.

This might be fine if I could guarantee time set aside for improving the map editor, but in our current roadmap there is no such commitment. We have other major features on which to focus our energies; particularly the Heart of Gold expansion and survival mode which are both slated for the first half of 2016.

It's true we're aiming to add some additional features over the coming weeks and months, but many of these are "Low-hanging fruit" sadly the suggestion of destroyable Empire gateways doesn't fall into that category at this time so is unlikely to see implementation unless something changes.

TL;DR: There's a lot of desire within the team to improve the editor and we are aiming for some easy targets to improve the user experience. But there is currently nothing major in our pipeline.

Last edited: Dec 19, 2015
    Roysten and Amon like this.
  9. Electrolight

Electrolight Priestess Backer

I am grateful for the editor and all of the time the devs put into it and I hope you guys don't take this the wrong way as I mean no insults but... the editor is rather basic for 2015/2016 standards and in it's current state should have been included in the game at launch. I have seen much more complex editors in games more than 10 years ago. A map editor is essential to this type of game and should have been a bigger priority.

I don't know all that much about the complexities of game development and I know things don't always go as planned. I have been happy with WFTO overall (until today) and am glad I backed it but it still feels incomplete in some ways and in other ways, I expected more.

Whatever the reasons for not having been or being able to implement more advanced features into the editor, what can we do now to help you hire the extra developers you need to get Mighty Quest integrated into an improved editor? Another Kickstarter, special DLC? I am willing to help.

10. Nutter

Got a spare cloning machine? We could do with 2 Nanos :p

Amon likes this.
  11. Noontide

Noontide Award Winning Community Manager Dev Team

I think that it's fair to say compared to many map editors in other games it may indeed be basic, but map editors themselves are a rather rare occurrence.

Unfortunately with the resources at our disposal that would have been quite impossible. Original backers will remember our initial promise of the Dungeoneer toolkit, a complete modding toolkit for WFTO, back in the early stages of development it saw a lot of priority and as you can read in our Year in retrospect, the game suffered. In the long run it was community tools or the game, we chose the latter :)

With a code team of three there's only so many resources to go around, and games you might be thinking of 10 years ago probably had a production value much in excess of our own :) (Look at how many programmers many other games of a similar type have!)

It's unlikely we'll ever hire a new coder for WFTO, it would be an expensive investment and require a extremely long time for them to grasp the underlying codebase of WFTO.

With that said if you really want to see further improvements beyond the current roadmap I would say continue to drive community discussion, show the development team that you and many others want to see these features. We'll be releasing additional content for WFTO, so purchasing that and convincing others to do the same helps to fund WFTOs future development.

This is actually quite a similar situation to another feature I'd personally love to see which is an enhanced sandbox mode, another thing which currently has perhaps even more limited updates in the roadmap. Ultimately for us at some point we have to start looking at the long term survival of our company and keeping our team members fed! If you can help evidence a hunger and demand for a feature, and it's a worthwhile investment on our part when compared to alternatives, the chance of it happening increases significantly.

12. [DD]CR0NO

[DD]CR0NO Bloodling

Trigger for gates and doors that you can places in the map editor? (like in the last campaign level)
    Or small objectives / timers for stuff instead of just inhibiters or pseudo-triggers.

And maybe some more textures and timed doors? (for like survival maps)

13. Reyh!

Reyh! Gargoyle Backer

I would love to have some kind of scripting. It would definitely be helpful when making new maps, and there would be alot more to do in general.

Also, I would like:

- Ability to set what creatures are not pickup-able.
    - Be able to remove spells, rituals, potions, buildings, traps/doors, constructs from the Veins of Evil, and also, decide what kind of creatures spawn at different portals.
    - The ability to destroy portals at capture (as already mentioned).
    - Ability to decide what creatures and underlords/hero faction that can go through certain doors of your choosing (i.e. Creature 1 can go through door 1, but not door 2, and creature 2 can go through 2, but not 1.).
    - Neutral enemies (that doesn't require a dungeon core and are enemies of the heroes as well).
    - More flying units and lava walking units. (this suggestion is ment for the whole game, and not just the map editor)
    - The ability to put flying units over chasms.

I understand that some of my suggestion may be hard to implement, but this is atleast what I would like to see in the editor.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2016
    AdxUndead and Amon like this.
  14. Hunteil

Hunteil Dwarven Worker

Few suggestions for the awesome Map Editor:
    -I'd like to 5th or 6th the Human Over World gate destructible function.
    -Marble (unbreakable) tiles like in campaign. (This way players can't claim these tiles and break the purpose of the layout.)
    -Allow us to place workshop boxes (The boxes the imps carry to defenses.)
    -Human Over World gate needs an option to send spawning units. (i.e. send waves at closest Dungeon Heart.)
    -Units placed can be locked or chained to their tile. i.e. so the guards look like they are guarding the gate. They can move away from their tile only for encounters. But always return to tile. (Should only work on human units.)
    -Allow us to rotate placed objects like human units so they face the correct direction.
    -Allow us to edit Map name if we haven't published the map yet to steam.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2016
    AdxUndead and Reyh! like this.
  15. AdxUndead

AdxUndead Ghoul

well said however the perfect map editor could alter the stat and functionality of all units and tiles turn any tile into a spawn point with editable parameters as well as gold for kills and fixed unit behaviour (like a WarCraft 3 editor). I understand there are limits to a company 1/10000 the size but bare with me. Spawn Defence. WftO units would make the most awesome Spawn D game, the hand of evil would be better than the traditional builder unit, plus the look of creature battles would make the lane action look so cool 2v2 would be heaps of fun.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2016
  16. JulianB3000

JulianB3000 Dwarven Worker

The map editor's been great, and it's fantastic to see all the maps in the workshop.
    When I play them vs. AI, I think the main shortfall is scaling. The creators can't make the map too hard at the start (or we don't get a start) but if they don't make it hard enough at the start, then once we do get to start, it becomes a steamrolling avalanche.
    There are lots of nice additions that could go in the editor to improve it (many listed here), but I think this one is the biggest thing to resolve.

The best way I can see to solve this is to have the AI gaining units over time - on a timer, possibly with destinations that they head to. The suggestion from the OP would go a long way to this. Adding an optional way to make it unclaimable, and possibly to filter what could spawn from it ("this portal only spawns L2 priestesses" every 80 seconds) would perhaps finish it.
    I can see designers wanting to make spawn forces of varying units, and it may be complex to create that in a single portal (this portal spawns L2 priestesses and L4 firebreathers and L1 matriachs, one of each every 80 seconds"). One way around that might be to make the portal 1x1 (and limited to one filter). Another might be to add the portal from the sandbox and let the designer choose the Level it uses (equivalent to the earth\rock switch) and the timer it triggers on.

I totally get where you're coming from.
    I've bought both worker skins to help, but I doubt I'll ever use either. :) I'd also buy other Themes at a reasonable price, if you're looking for things that don't require art/dev.
    I'd happily pay a bit more for an xpac if this was involved.

Nutter likes this.
  17. Xander

Xander Crackpot

I want to be able to script in hero parties.

Like in the old editor it was possible to generate scripted events, lots of When;'s & If;'s , being able to set this up in the editor should probably be an ideal direction to go into.

Placing heroes makes no sense unless there's a patrol option, linear or area-spread, either one.

Roysten likes this.
  18. Nova Solarius

Nova Solarius Bloodling

One feature I'd love to have in the ME is the possibility of giving a player multiple Dungeon Cores, having them act a bit like Inhibitors; once all Cores are gone, the Underlord is beaten. This doesn't need to have any impact on existing maps, but it would open the way for many interesting custom ones.

One should also have a way to set the 'primary' core, the one that spawns Titans and acts as the focus for the camera when the game starts. The simplest way of doing this is to use the order in which the Cores are placed to determine the order; if the primary Core is destroyed, the one placed second becomes the primary Core. If not available, the third placed Core becomes the primary one, et cetera.

When a Core is destroyed, the player owning the Core loses control of that dungeon until they reclaim the Core's remains. The Core won't be restored, obviously, that would be ridiculously OP. One exception would be when the dungeon in question already has multiple Cores, in which case the beaten Core is unclaimable until all Cores have been destroyed. When another Underlord wishes to claim a dungeon without active Cores, they need to claim only one of the Cores; the others will be treated like any other room in that they'll be claimed immediately.

I realize this probably won't make it into the game, but I still felt like posting it. Thank you for reading.

19. rooben777

rooben777 Dwarven Worker

The multiple core thing actually sounds really interesting. I will definitly like the rest will like to have the option to create patrol routes for heros (and any other creature if possible, certain underlord creatures for example, maybe titans) and most importantly the ability to set a timed hero spawner like in DK2 editor.

A very nice feature which I am sure will be implented someday, maybe a millenia from now, will be the ability to "Create" a new "item/tile/creature" who is based on existing patterns, by simply copying for example the desing of a dirth path, and then toying with its color tone, name,and existing in game behaviors like "claimable", "allowed to be picked up", "damages creatures", and stuff like that. this basicly will grant an editor the ability to create an almost infinite amount of different themes. story-lines (with the naming feature), desings, and so on. this basicly is the ideal edior in my opition.