1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Addition: Animation, torture chamber upgrade, player colours, workshop mechanics, beast behaviour

Discussion in 'Suggestion Archive' started by VooDooQky, Feb 19, 2016.

1. VooDooQky

VooDooQky Ghoul

Hello there, I tought up some ideas about giving some more feeling to the game as it currently is.

1. Torture chamber.
    As it currently is, when you drop a prisoner onto one of the props of pain on the torture chamber, it gets spinned and burned on it. When the succubus enters, and begins her job, she should not only beat her subject, with her basic attack animation but also interact with the prop the subject is on.
    For example, she should spin the wheel faster, forward-backward, with a slap of her arm. For a change, she could begin reeling on the side of the crucifier like the crackpot does with the cauldron, so the subject gets stretched. I think these kind of animation additions would add a bit to the succubus' character.

For the upgrade part of the room:
    The chunders and augres seem like to work in the foundry even if there aren't any particular door or trap to be created by them, so to make a reason for them, they should make some interrogation and torturing tools for the succubuses, which would work like defense parts. These parts would be carried by the imps to the torture chamber, so the succubuses could use em up to speed up their work. Of course this would work only when the torture chamber got upgraded by a sin point. (btw what if we could get more sin generated by torturing enemies?)

2. Some "player color" addition to rooms.
    Sometimes it is hard to tell which of the enemies rooms are claimed by me, or vica versa, so could you maybe bring a little color to them indicating which room is controlled by who, so there is no time would be wasted by trying to sell rooms which visibly aren't mine (yet :D). What i mean here are small coloured miscellaneous items, ornaments, banners on the wall of a lair and vault (basically rooms which do not have props with coloured status indicators), or torches with player coloured flames on the walls. The minions sleeping items could also contain these colors (dark-reddish bedsheet for gnarling for example, if the player's colour is red.)

3. Veteran intelligent minions:
    Well it's just a vague idea, but the minions have no difference in looks when it comes to levels, so in the late future, maybe you could add some more agressive looks when the little rascals level up? Like, the gnarling gets a bigger, or different weapon, a little more spiked armor on him, and the likes.
    The changes should kick in by every 3 level-ups.
    lvl1 Standard
    ->lvl4 combat adept accesories
    ->lvl7 veteran accesories
    I know it isn't really affecting the game mechanics, and would use up a lot of resources the team have, but would add to the depth of the design. (would be a spectacle seeing an armor clad lvl7 gnarling for e.g. jumping on three lvl1 green eared little bastards and releasing a blade storm on them, cutting em up for grinded meat :D)

Combat mechanics for beasts:
    Some beasts could have some minor regeneration right after battle (if there isn't any threat in sight of being attacked) by dragging their victims a bit further away from the battlefield, to a dark corner on friendly (or a neutral one, if friendly hallways are not in close distance) territory to engorge them. After their short attempt on feeding they could enter a short sleeping phase there, which grants him doubled regeneration for like 15% hp. The torn up remains of the victim then could only be carried to the player controlled crypt by the imps (or into the spit roast launcher, depending on which the player prefers. The opponent imps should do the same. If the corpse gets into the spit roast launcher, the food in it gets entirely spoiled which causes the chunder to be bloated for a while. It should appear in visible bloating of course and a temporary status effect, which causes the chunder slower movement, but harder hits, and stronger barfs. If the chunder get killed while puffed up, it explodes, causing aoe damage (scaled with the creature's level), similar to the ember demon.

2. Nutter

Nutter Inquisitor Founder

A lot of the ideas you suggest are cool, but as you rightly point out are quite resource intensive ideas which don't add much to the overall gameplay, although they do add some flavour/life to certain minions which is currently lacking. The devs have already admitted that certain minions lack animation needed to "give them life" but sadly animation is one of the most time and resource expensive parts of development and it's not something they can afford to devote resources to right now.

Amon likes this.
  3. VooDooQky

VooDooQky Ghoul

Got it, with respect for the team, of course you have more pressing issues at hand, still I believe i can see something implemented in the far future of the game. :)

Nutter likes this.
  4. VooDooQky

VooDooQky Ghoul

By the way, are the player coloured rooms might be too resource draining aswell?

5. Nutter

Nutter Inquisitor Founder

Funnily enough, they are.. but in a different way. The devs have tried and tested them internally (in the form of little dancing flames/lights around the edge of rooms), but in the tests we found that they they were cpu intensive and caused a lot of lag. And we already have people struggling to play the game on minimum spec systems, adding room indicators (the player coloured room things) would mostly likely stop those people being able to play.

So it's kind of in a situation where they'd like to do it, and it is technically possibly.. but the game isn't optimized enough to make it worthwhile.

In terms of what you're suggesting, team coloured flags, ornaments, banners, etc would mean developing brand new assets requiring a 3d modeller, an artist to texture the models, possibly the vfx artist to work out the team colouring thing, then a coder to implement the code required to make it spawn the correct colour, etc.

With those same resources they could do that or they make a brand new unit, or a new defense, etc. In an ideal world they'd have the resources to do both, but sadly with such a small team it's often a choice of which one they can do. And I think you'll agree with me that we'd like to see new content more rather than things like this that don't add much to gameplay.

It's also important to note that the info panel shows you who owns a room in this game, which wasn't the case in DK so room indicators aren't as much of a critical thing here, they'd definitely be a nice touch and a great bit of polish somewhere down the line, but they definitely come low in the priorities list (in my opinion).

6. Slichizard

Slichizard Bard

How about colored outlines for every room? Rather than adding new animation, you just add barely visible colored lines around rooms which help distinguish the room owner.

I'm quite sure there are ways this can be done without turning it into drama.

7. VooDooQky

VooDooQky Ghoul

Well, for one thing, I didn't really liked the solution of little dancing flames on the edge of the rooms in DKII either. It was kinda disturbing (for me, at least) sometimes. That's why I mentioned fix, non-moving items to be coloured. Too much moving stuff could distract people, after all, you usually have to operate in your dungeon amongst a bunch of minions already. What I meant for the ornaments are actually already existing details on the walls/rooms, which would need a slight recolour in the textures.