• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

AI and saving bugs

Just

Dwarven Worker
Dec 11, 2015
to start i cant save the game, at all. the first time i tried to save is the only time it 'worked' and when i loaded it it was successful but suddenly the lord of the land was in my base and my minions insta killed him and i won the quest level. after, loading that save was no longer possible it said the save was corrupted

after that things were pretty normal (besides being unable to save) until i got to the level "the kenos" on that level minions seemingly have no AI and instead just sit still (besides some twiching or going somewhere to twitch) slowly getting agryer and angryer since they arent getting fed or going to sleep

i posted this already on the steam forums for the game but heres an update post-patch:
i cant instal the patch, presumable because of the above bugs but steam says it cant install because of 'disk read error'

Nanorock

Programmer
Brightrock Games
Nov 14, 2011
Hello Just, did you tried to verify steam game cache ?
In the library, right click on WFTO, properties, and go to Local File tab and then "Verify integrity of game cache"

Just

Dwarven Worker
Dec 11, 2015
i had done that multiple times before the patch and they changed nothing. i will try again now and see if anything happens just in case

EDIT1: validation just finished and the update is still paused saying "disk read error"

EDIT2: just finished validating 3 times. everytime it has said "3 files failed to validate and will be reacquired" so even though it says its fixing the files it seems to be failing everytime

Last edited:

Just

Dwarven Worker
Dec 11, 2015
windows
XP
pretty sure its 32 bit

attached is the output log and all of my crashes. i placed all of them since i think the original save failure from awhile ago may have been the original catalyst

EDIT: the validation just finished and the update seems to be installing. good signs for now
EDIT2: update failed. "disk read error"

Attachments

Last edited:

v0id

Programmer
Brightrock Games
Nov 18, 2011
Germany
Hey Just,

how much RAM do you have installed?

The issue is that you do not have enough RAM. The game crashes because it can not allocate enough memory.
WftO requires 4GB RAM if you are on win32 you can only address around 3.7 GB but since windows is taking around 1GB for its own, less than 3GB remain (And this only if you have 4GB installed and not even less).
Depending on what other programs/processes you have running in background while playing it might be well way less than that.
So all you can do about is quitting any not needed backgroudn programs/processes which occupy RAM.
Lowering the games texture resolution to a minimum and playing the game it a low resolution.

Campaign level 10 requires the most RAM of all official maps in the game.
When it is played fast with above settings 2GB usable RAM might be enough to finish it, in all other cases it is more.
(This map usually requires up to 3.5 GB when you build large)

To play the game in its full extent you'd need an upgrade or a newer rig.

Hope this helps!

Just

Dwarven Worker
Dec 11, 2015
how do i check how much ram i have?
also i cant play the game at all right now since the update is not installing and i need that in order for the game to start.
and that doesnt explain why it wasnt possible for me to save

Just

Dwarven Worker
Dec 11, 2015
i am lacking on ram. only 2 gb. i will try to fix that.

but no matter how much ram i put in if i cant open the game thats a problem. saving would also be nice when i am able to get into the game so let me know if theres some way for me to fix that

v0id

Programmer
Brightrock Games
Nov 18, 2011
Germany
I guess both issues are caused by your RAM also we do not officially support Windows XP anymore nor Microsoft does.
When a game is saved, a copy of all state information is put into RAM before it is written on hard disk.
I guess in your case the RAM is not enough to finish this save operation.

Just

Dwarven Worker
Dec 11, 2015
while i will believe that for the saving i find it very unlikly to be the case for the update. i have other games that are brand new and much larger than this game that work/update perfectly fine.
regardless i will get back to you once i have added more ram

v0id

Programmer
Brightrock Games
Nov 18, 2011
Germany
Hey Just,
Do you use AVG Antivirus?
The update issue could be caused by a false positive from AVG, in which case you'd need to add an exception.

Just

Dwarven Worker
Dec 11, 2015
i dont. to give a little bit of an update one of my 1 gb ram was replaced with a 2 gb ram and the other will in the future be replaced with a 4 gb ram. but for now i have 3 gb of ram and the validation and update had still failed.

v0id

Programmer
Brightrock Games
Nov 18, 2011
Germany
i dont. to give a little bit of an update one of my 1 gb ram was replaced with a 2 gb ram and the other will in the future be replaced with a 4 gb ram. but for now i have 3 gb of ram and the validation and update had still failed.
This is good news, but beware that as long you are on WindowsXP 32bit your computer can not address that much RAM (32bit systems can addrees around 3.7 GB).
So if you install 6 GB now it would be wasted if you not use a 64bit operating system.

I don't know why your update fails, but normally "Read disk error" means that it can not read required data from your hard disk.
This can happen when an antivirus software or security is blocking access, if the user access rights for the accessed folder got restricted or if the HDD has a defect.

But it's hard to tell from here.

Just

Dwarven Worker
Dec 11, 2015
well it might have to do whith the fact everytime i run validation the game finds 3 things wrong. but for some reason even though it finds those things it doesnt fix them. is there a way to get validation to tell me what files are 'broken' and i can send the file name to you guys?

or maybe i should just send you guys a zip file containing all the files i have for the game?

v0id

Programmer
Brightrock Games
Nov 18, 2011
Germany
We can not do much about this from our side.
There is either a problem with your hard disk, with any security software preventing writes, or with Steam it self.
Often it helps to verify game cache after a fresh reboot and by starting Steam as administrator.
If neither this fixes it for you, it would be something to report to Valve the creators of Steam.

Top Bottom