• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

Announcing Heart of Gold, WFTO's first expansion!

Noontide

Designer / Community Manager
Brightrock Games
Dec 8, 2012
Brighton, UK
"Significant performance improvements"
wow significant? There Has Been some breakthrough in this field? xD
performance improvement affects only the side of single player / multiplayer or Both?
Some major breakthroughs though they've not been fully benchmarked yet. I think the largest one comes from a well hidden bug in our renderer that has been fixed. Essentially on levels where you have an ally (Think level 10) the game was drawing everything multiple times and on large levels this would cause huge issues. You can imagine the kind of performance gain that came from fixing that.

Most of the improvements will effect both Singleplayer and Multiplayer modes. On a personal level I can now record at 2560x1440 with the same performance I expected from 1920x1080. I will look at benchmarking it before the release.

I take this opportunity to suggest some ideas (Certainly many are not feasible, but would like to hear the opinion of the devs about it to figure out how you can make push ^^)

- Insert a new resource (ex. Quartz of the Underworld) to increase the managerial component of the game
Sounds cool on paper but I think this would add too much complexity to the game, also what would the purpose be? We'd probably have to introduce whole new game systems that rely upon it.

.- In my opinion one of the main flaws of the game is the "attack rate". The troops in general attach too fast and the battles end in a matter of seconds .. so (in my opinion) it would be appropriate to reduce the speed of attack (/ s) ... especially the one of the strongest skill.
In Patch 1.4 we're rebalancing units and especially the leveling system. Units are tougher and fights will last longer, they'll also spread out much more in combat so it's less "Deathbally"

- New spell: "meat to the Slaughter" .. when this spell is activated (during a fight) of one or more units, forcing the latter to fight to the death, while the other units are returned to the core (terrified: D) ..the spell's cost must be very high to prevent abuse. (400 mana).This can be an alternative to escape from a battle ...
Some sort of duel spell? I'm not sure I understand the full implications of the suggestion, do you cast this on enemy units and cause them to fight to death. Sounds extremely disruptive to any form of attack :)

- Permanent traps (neutral): These traps can not be destroyed and are activated Whenever a victim comes Within range .. this way you can create (in map editor) paths faster but more dangerous ...
This actually sounds kind of cool, like a form of natural hazard. Would be interesting to see some sort of environmental traps, but I'd worry this would constantly kill off low health units like workers :)

BlackBeard

Firebreather
Mar 21, 2015
Italy
Some sort of duel spell? I'm not sure I understand the full implications of the suggestion, do you cast this on enemy units and cause them to fight to death. Sounds extremely disruptive to any form of attack
no, this spell is used on own units for fight to the death (ignoring rally flags) and other creatures will follow rally flags ...
basically a spell to escape the battle sacrificing some troop ..."meat to the Slaughter": P

This actually sounds kind of cool, like a form of natural hazard. Would be interesting to see some sort of environmental traps, but I'd worry this would constantly kill off low health units like workers
one more reason to use doors: P

or workers immune to this type of traps ... but I don't know if it's something doable ..

mishko

Witch Doctor
WFTO Founder
Feb 27, 2012
Michigan
This actually sounds kind of cool, like a form of natural hazard. Would be interesting to see some sort of environmental traps, but I'd worry this would constantly kill off low health units like workers :)
Isn't that what the impasse flag is for though?

Sonny Bos

Firebreather
Mar 22, 2013
Amsterdam
finally.. i do hope in time this first expansion gets a few more levels, 4 sounds kinda skinny to me.. that said i got goosebumps just by watching the new graphics
as a added comment to blackbeard.. those neutral traps could potentially be destroyed for a limited time untill it regenerates giving a small window to get weaker minions past it

cant wait for the release ill be spending the week of release exploiting this expansion

question tho.. will all changes be applied to the original campain too? if so the experience of the original might get better :D

Dec 16, 2015
Watched the teaser about 20 times now! :D

Any change you guys might do another dev video or twitch streaming in the future for other updates or DLC? :)

Nutter

Frost Weaver
WFTO Founder
Jan 19, 2013
Huddersfield, UK
nutter666.tumblr.com
finally.. i do hope in time this first expansion gets a few more levels, 4 sounds kinda skinny to me.. that said i got goosebumps just by watching the new graphics

question tho.. will all changes be applied to the original campain too? if so the experience of the original might get better :D
The 4 levels are a case of quality not quantity, they are much bigger/more wide open maps with more freedom to play how you like (within the confines of the levels).

In terms of changes being applied to the original campaign, if you mean things like the new changes to unit stats, etc then yes all those changes carry across to the campaign, and we've found that a couple of the "harder" levels have bounced between much easier and a bit easier as the changes have been tweaked back and forth.

Jan 29, 2016
Now it occured to me that I forgot to ask an important question about this expansion regarding multiplayer. Even though I'm not much a multiplayer guy, I still think I should ask this.

Since this update will add 4 new techs to unlock in the three, how this expansion will impact multiplayer? It will be like Age of Wonders III, in which other players can access certain expansion goodies as long as an player with the expansion is on the match?

Jan 3, 2013
Now it occured to me that I forgot to ask an important question about this expansion regarding multiplayer. Even though I'm not much a multiplayer guy, I still think I should ask this.

Since this update will add 4 new techs to unlock in the three, how this expansion will impact multiplayer? It will be like Age of Wonders III, in which other players can access certain expansion goodies as long as an player with the expansion is on the match?
Apparently MP will be different.

So far there are still some issues with certain aspects, however once they are resolved, you will notice that old tactics don't work anymore and new has to be developed.

All players will have access to DLC game content, except new themes and campaign levels. In other words - Multiplayer shall work for both DLC owners or not.

BlackBeard

Firebreather
Mar 21, 2015
Italy
I am very excited about this expansion.

over time I have given many suggestions and feedback to you guys subterranean, many of which have been implemented ..

obviously, I will continue to do so in the future .. I like to torture you subterranean guys..

keep the good work.

EDIT: I want to take advantage of this post to make a suggestion ..

it would be appropriate to include the shortcut keys in the different tooltip for easy learning.

Last edited:

Nutter

Frost Weaver
WFTO Founder
Jan 19, 2013
Huddersfield, UK
nutter666.tumblr.com

Certain (new) tech such as the Sentinel (defense/unit hybrid) will be added to the MP techtree, and will be available for everyone to use in MP for free (added as part of the free patch released alongside HoG), but the Single Player content (new missions/levels) and the new Dungeon Themes/Skins will be exclusive to Heart of Gold and will require owning it to use/play.

Top Bottom