• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

Another Stupid Forum War [Chapter II of MMMCLXXIV]

Amon

Huntress
Apr 14, 2012
Somewhere
subterraneangames.com
Dec 29, 2012
Strange creatures have been seen decending from the sky. They are believed to have come from the moon. They look something like this:

They don't appear to be doing much other than flying around observing things. Still, they are arriving in frightfully high numbers.

Underlord Vulukai

Witch Doctor
WFTO Backer
Mar 11, 2013
The Void
www.youtube.com
You know... every so often I just look into this thread. This must be the 20th time. I still don't have a clue what's going on, quite frankly I don't want to. I'll assume you're all behaving, Carry on.
[it would be awesome if certain someone could actually moderate one of these conflicts for sane, somewhat rational chronology, or if a person posting a thread could moderate the posting on said thread as a GM (gamemaster)]

Dec 29, 2012
[it would be awesome if certain someone could actually moderate one of these conflicts for sane, somewhat rational chronology, or if a person posting a thread could moderate the posting on said thread as a GM (gamemaster)]
I'd be willing to do it, and turn my evil moon into a random event generator instead of a faction. Assuming everyone's ok with that.

Underlord Vulukai

Witch Doctor
WFTO Backer
Mar 11, 2013
The Void
www.youtube.com
the problem doesn't lie in anyones willingness to moderate, but rather the capability for individuals to prevent posting until actual 'turns' can be sectioned out and reported by a thread moderator

basically what would happen in this ideal situation is this: 2 threads would be set up, 1 for introductions/rundowns of factions to refer to during fights for more in depth information (kind of like the If You Could Make An Underlord page)
the second thread would only be posted in by the GameMaster, and would basically be a narration of the events occuring once all participating individuals PM the gamemaster with their moves for that round of posts. This would be much slower going but over all i feel it would be more productive and interesting with some restrictions in place to moderate the events.

Badwolf699

Juggernaut
WFTO Founder
Dec 18, 2011
What we are doing is kind of revolutionary it's still in its infincy.
Do people know fo any other forums which have had wars? (not spam and hate wars)

Underlord Vulukai

Witch Doctor
WFTO Backer
Mar 11, 2013
The Void
www.youtube.com
What we are doing is kind of revolutionary it's still in its infincy.
Do people know fo any other forums which have had wars? (not spam and hate wars)
there are plenty of forum games with set rules to draw upon, but what i think im going to do is instead of creating a lush, crazy cool looking map, create a simple, Civ style hex map and divvy out the land in the Faction Introduction thread (kind of like we started to do with factions having unit lists before things completely imploded on it.)

once a set amount of people are decided upon, the board divvied up, and the factions set, then the game begins, 1 turn at a time, with set capabilities such as moves, building, etc, laid out in the game rules.

Badwolf699

Juggernaut
WFTO Founder
Dec 18, 2011
there are plenty of forum games with set rules to draw upon, but what i think im going to do is instead of creating a lush, crazy cool looking map, create a simple, Civ style hex map and divvy out the land in the Faction Introduction thread (kind of like we started to do with factions having unit lists before things completely imploded on it.)

once a set amount of people are decided upon, the board divvied up, and the factions set, then the game begins, 1 turn at a time, with set capabilities such as moves, building, etc, laid out in the game rules.
Sounds good, would starting positions be given at random like in an RTS?

Amon

Huntress
Apr 14, 2012
Somewhere
subterraneangames.com
once the complete list of participating factions was made, after a set deadline to participate of course, yeah, id probably assign random starts to everyone.
All I ask, if you do this, is that I be somewhere in the northwest... I don't know why I love this direction, I just do....

[I would ask other things, but I feel that would be pushing it :p]

Badwolf699

Juggernaut
WFTO Founder
Dec 18, 2011
If anyones ever played Wargame series by Eugene Systems then you'll know that you only have so many units and that you have to use them wisely.
You Pick your own deck to what your playstyle is [Armour, Marine Motorised etc....] for fantasy it would be [Armour, Stealth, Brute etc...] then fight the good fight.
But once all your units are gone you're screwed.
But I guess that;s if you want a Brutal hardcore game mode.

Dec 29, 2012
the problem doesn't lie in anyones willingness to moderate, but rather the capability for individuals to prevent posting until actual 'turns' can be sectioned out and reported by a thread moderator

basically what would happen in this ideal situation is this: 2 threads would be set up, 1 for introductions/rundowns of factions to refer to during fights for more in depth information (kind of like the If You Could Make An Underlord page)
the second thread would only be posted in by the GameMaster, and would basically be a narration of the events occuring once all participating individuals PM the gamemaster with their moves for that round of posts. This would be much slower going but over all i feel it would be more productive and interesting with some restrictions in place to moderate the events.
That sounds like what we tried to do with the last forum war. I would be very up for that. Everyone could PM me their faction in as much detail as possible, while marking what they don't want other players to know as spoilers. I would start a thread for world building where I tried to build a world that all the suggested factions would fit in, and take feedback from everyone. For example, people would describe their country, and I would decide starting position based on that. Then get feedback on what people think. The rules wouldn't be too rigid, and most of it would be GM discretion. Detail would be very important.

I would use this to an extent, but I would prefer looser rules. To me, it's about creating stories more than it is about winning. I wouldn't even have it be balanced. I'd require reasons why a smaller creature wasn't crushed immediately, like lord Vulukai having to much fun to kill them, or something similar. It would be more like role playing than strategy gaming, albeit, with a lot of scheming. each turn would be an involved process, requiring as much detail as possible. Thoughts?

Top Bottom