• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.
  • Notice the new look? We've updated to a new version of Xenforo, please read our latest post.

Are boss's convertible?

Kelphy

Warden
Backer
Jan 13, 2013
Australia
I've heard a few people saying there will be boss's? Are we going to be able to convert them to our cause? Is it actually true they're going to be in this game?

Jan 3, 2013
I've heard a few people saying there will be boss's? Are we going to be able to convert them to our cause? Is it actually true they're going to be in this game?
Even if you can, I believe once he is converted/killed the objective is considered as complete - thus you win, so converting boss will be pointless.

Kelphy

Warden
Backer
Jan 13, 2013
Australia
Even if you can, I believe once he is converted/killed the objective is considered as complete - thus you win, so converting boss will be pointless.
I'd still want to convert him anyway! :p Just to put him in a fight with my other creatures in a combat pit of some sort? Or perhaps you can take a creature to the next level with you like DK1? It's possible.

Jan 3, 2013
I'd still want to convert him anyway! :p Just to put him in a fight with my other creatures in a combat pit of some sort? Or perhaps you can take a creature to the next level with you like DK1? It's possible.
Converting boss can be a non-lethal way of completing the mission. Other than this, I doubt we will have a chance toying with him and pitting him against his former allies.

Jun 27, 2012
Worked fine in Dungeon Keeper 1 when converting the avatar and pitting him against the second version of himself. Couldnt have beaten DK1 without it I think. If only for the pause it gave me to train and rebuild my dungeon during his long torture.

Cultist Joris

Ember Demon
Founder
Dec 30, 2012
Belgium
Worked fine in Dungeon Keeper 1 when converting the avatar and pitting him against the second version of himself.
I remember doing the Avatar fight over and over for he died in the lava or got stuck in the blue dungeon because the fight destroyed his doors...

Nepene

Blood Imp
Backer
Jan 7, 2013
I think we should be able to convert the bosses. Once our dungeon is strong enough to defeat the boss we should be strong enough to steamroll the opposition but with the boss converted we have the option of crushing the enemy even more overwhelmingly. It would be a moment of awesome that would be whispered about on all corners of the internet, when the hero's own titan turned his flaming sword of justice on his former allies and smashed them utterly, leading a host of foul and terrible creatures to kill his old lord.

Edit. Like in final fantasy 7 if you can defeat the Ruby Weapon you can get a Desert Rose and get the Knights of the Round materia. You don't need that op materia. If you can defeat the Ruby Weapon you're not gonna have any problems with Sephiroth. But it is totally awesome to have that overwhelming power. That's what I feel converting bosses should do- they should be tough, but if you're tough enough to defeat them then you can win anyway so why not give the players some fun?

Enjou

Ember Demon
Backer
Jan 10, 2012
Keep in mind that boss creatures are not necessarily the final objective of the level - there will be neutral boss monsters that function as optional objectives or guard things like shrines and you need to take them down before capturing them. "Boss" in this sense just means a really powerful creature.

That said, I don't want boss creatures to be convertible as a general mechanic - these are creatures that take a small army to defeat, so converting one makes the player overpowered. There might be ways to do this in specific campaign levels though. Perhaps something like having to seize a set of shrines in order to summon a really powerful monster to break down the gates of a really well defended hero dungeon or something. But again, as a general mechanic it would be too powerful.

Badwolf699

Juggernaut
Founder
Dec 18, 2011
What would be good if you could take all the bosses with you to the next level to defeat the enemy Underlords 1 by 1 before they have a chance to grow stronger.

Castigator

Gargoyle
Backer
Dec 30, 2012
Germany
I think, that within a boss level it can make sense, to use that boss against the enemy. The shouldn't be transferable though, because that would take the challenge out of the next level. In the Excavator Thread, we discussed, whether it should be possible to turn the machine/boss at the enemy dungeon and crush their heart with their own machine.
Things like these could give alternative ways to win certain levels. The player would't be forced to do it that way, but I guess, that some convertible bosses would be fun to mess with. Of course not every boss needs to be convertible, some might be made of incorruptible pureness, so you just defeat them and put them into the graveyard for more undead minions.
I found it odd, yet fitting, that you could eventually convert the Avatar, he's a human after all. Mechanical bosses could be reverse engineered into your service and angelic creatures could be disposed of in the garbage bin.

Top Bottom