• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

Armoury

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 2, 2011
Just start by saying I understand there are similar suggestions (see Malteasers earlier forge post) but heres a simple and efficient way to implement an armoury into the game should it prove a viable idea.

Name: Armoury

Buildability Yes, accessible around the same time as barracks due to the link between these two rooms.
Cost: High Cost

Information: In a similar manner to how we would have used protection spells and other buffs in previous games to grant combat bonuses to creatures before a big scrap the armoury can allow multiple creatures to recieve buff's ready for a coming battle.

Function: The function of the armoury is to provide creatures with temporary combat benfits in the form of moral (if used), damage and defense. It could also attract more militant creatures (makes alot of sense for dark knight style characters).
  • Creatures dropped in the armoury will run to the various piles or weapons and armour and begin excitedly rooting through the array of weapons (staffs/axes etc) and shields. Whilst squabbling amongst themselves. Spellcasters root through piles of scrolls and beasts sharpen their claws/spikes on a grinder.
  • After a short length of time they will find what their looking for (inevitably choosing swords and equipment identical to their old gear) and an indicator will appear above their heads to show they are recieving a small damage and defensive benefit for a short period (2 minutes?).
  • Once finished in the armoury an amount of gold will be deducted (assumedly to pay for the creatures new gear) and the creatures will head to the nearest barracks tooled up and ready for a scrap.
Wall Decoration: Dark Stone walls hung with the banners of defeated enemies.

Appearance: Huge piles or disorganised weapons can be seen throughout this room on overweighted shelves, crumbling tables or just strewn accross the floor. Notably a lot of the armour appears to have previously belonged to fallen hero's.

Thoughts?

Inlaa

Arcanist
Jan 11, 2012
Texas
I like this. It also leaves room for the Devs to make more 'varied' armor/weapon appearances for creatures IF they so choose, but for ease, they could very easily have the creatures discover gear identical to their own, as you said. The function is something that didn't exist before, and it's another way to prepare for a fight / use your gold.

amcoops

Firebreather
WFTO Founder
Dec 9, 2011
North Devon, England
I also like this idea, I thought the developers didn't want to include anything like this due to the extra model, texture and animation work they would have to do. The way you've put it this seems like it could suit both parties though, those who want the Armoury and the developers.

Co0kieL0rd

Bafu
WFTO Backer
Jan 29, 2012
I like both the armoury and the forge idea as I also had a similar one. I thought of an armoury where improved weapons are crafted by the likes of trolls and orchs for the all other creatures you control and who can carry a weapon. This would include animations for the creatures to pick up things and have them attached to their models.
Example: We have goblin-like creatures in the early game who are equipped with clubs by default. In the later game, they can be given swords and then short bows. This would qualify them in the late game as cheap ranged combat units who stand protected behind the stronger units, such as dark knights, supporting them with hails of (weak) arrows.
I'm not sure, if that's really worth the programming effort, though.

Zuriki

Gargoyle
Dec 9, 2011
Manchester, UK
www.subterraneangames.com
I like both the armoury and the forge idea as I also had a similar one. I thought of an armoury where improved weapons are crafted by the likes of trolls and orchs for the all other creatures you control and who can carry a weapon. This would include animations for the creatures to pick up things and have them attached to their models.
Example: We have goblin-like creatures in the early game who are equipped with clubs by default. In the later game, they can be given swords and then short bows. This would qualify them in the late game as cheap ranged combat units who stand protected behind the stronger units, such as dark knights, supporting them with hails of (weak) arrows.
I'm not sure, if that's really worth the programming effort, though.
The problem with this idea, is substituting creature roles. If the goblins are your early-game combat units, then later on they would most likely be used as cannon-fodder or guards for early-warning and such.

Co0kieL0rd

Bafu
WFTO Backer
Jan 29, 2012
The problem with this idea, is substituting creature roles. If the goblins are your early-game combat units, then later on they would most likely be used as cannon-fodder or guards for early-warning and such.
As far as I noticed, this is something the developers of WFTO want to avoid - creatures being useless in the late game. I agree with the idea of giving each creature a unique ability that makes their use attractive in any stage of game progression

Nazgren

Templar
WFTO Backer
Nov 29, 2011
perhaps each creature has a final, awsome ability, each roughly equal with each others, and there unlocked by doing something, or completing a certain level, or unlocked by finding a special item on each level that unlocks a single units special, e.g. the goblin special ability would be found on say, level 6, and it would be a passive that increases its damage by 10% for each other goblin nearby, the heroes would also have to get something like this to prevent it becoming too op, say, each time you find an ability the hero version of that creature also gets its special ability.

Inlaa

Arcanist
Jan 11, 2012
Texas
the heroes would also have to get something like this to prevent it becoming too op, say, each time you find an ability the hero version of that creature also gets its special ability.
Then what is the point in collecting these items if they ALSO make your enemy stronger? It would only encourage the player to collect all the upgrades for their favorite 1-3 units and use NOTHING but those units throughout the campaign, which is pretty dull.

Honestly, some creatures' abilities are supposed to be balanced already. Throwing in superpower abilities would only give the developers more work, if you ask me. Creatures already get bigger and better abilities as they level, anyway.

As for specials like a goblin getting a 10% damage buff for every nearby goblin... I'd say - those should be level specific. At least that way you don't have to spend an extra hour decimating the caves of each map in an attempt to find any hidden specials. In DK1, it was common for me to do just that to make sure I found the 'Take unit to next level' items because I wanted to keep whoever my special guy was for that game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom