• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

Calling all Map Designers!

Nutter

Frost Weaver
WFTO Founder
Jan 19, 2013
Huddersfield, UK
nutter666.tumblr.com
Hello budding mapmakers, have I got something awesome for you.

There's been a lot of talk about the editor and people wanting to design maps recently so I figure now is a good time to share this...

Basically, this is a bit of a tool/template for designing maps (outside of the game) which i'm now sharing with everyone so you can try your hands at designing some maps.

Check out this [LINK] first to see the template then follow the instructions below to learn how to use it.

How to Use It

1. Creating a new copy of the file to edit.

Click "File" -> "Make a Copy" to create a brand new copy of the file to edit and create your map.
  • Do Not Tick "Share it with the same people"
  • You should now be able to edit the file.
2. Changing Tile Types

You start with a grid of all Earth tiles (the normal, diggable stuff)
In order to change a tile, you use a 2 letter code which translates to a particular type of tile (a full list is shown below)
  • Example: go = gold, nb = natural bridge
  • Leaving the tile blank (no code) will turn it back to earth.
  • There is a tile key which shows all the colours (and you can check their code by clicking on the tile)
Click a tile and enter the appropriate code and the spreadsheet will do the rest, changing the tile to the correct colour.
  • Don't manually format the tiles, just use the codes, otherwise it gets really messy.
3. Saving your creation

Click Share at the top right, then click Change next to Private, Only you can access.

On that screen select select Anyone with a link and set it to Can view at the bottom of the window.
You will then be given a link to share.

Post your link here for us all to check out :)

Tile Type Index

im = Impassable rock (the kind that nothing can break/dig through)
[blank/empty] = earth (the undug out version of dirt)
di = Dirt (the normal dug out floor)
ch = Chasm (can't be claimed or walked across, but flying/floating units can fly over it)
la = Lava
wa = Water
pf = Permafrost
br = Brimstone
se = Sacred earth
go = Gold
sa = Sand
co = Core (an Underlord's Dungeon Core), this will need to be a 5x5 to be a proper core
sh = Shrine (Represents any of the shrines), needs to be 3x3
ga = Gateway (The Gateways where creatures spawn from)
nb = Natural Bridge (natural bridges across water,lava, chasms)

Advice for Good Map Design

• For skirmish/multiplayer maps the best way i've found is to design half (or a quarter for 4 player maps) of a map and copy it across so both sides are the same and neither player has an advantage.
  • Since it doesn't allow you to specify what kind of shrine it is, you might wanna post that along with your link so we know what kind you meant.
  • Make sure each Player has a 5x5 core and a (fairly close) gateway otherwise the map won't be very easy to play.
EDIT:
You can now also use this editor which is much better than the original google docs editor.

Last edited:

Medjay

Shadow
WFTO Backer
Aug 23, 2012
Canterbury
Here is my map, called Breach https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1o1Od3FuhbfdMaNUoNW1ERm5XJKr8iniMBlodM6Ew8eU/edit?usp=sharing.

It's a bit of a 'AHHMAGAWD I gotta use everything' map, but this is the idea: So there is a single brimstone block separating your side of the map from the other. The idea is to built up as much as possible and 'breach' the enemy's dungeon. But since the enemy can also attack you, you may want to consider fortifying the layers leading up to your dungeon core. There are three underworld gates (purple), one always accessible behind your core and two more on the front line which need defending. Whist gold is available, it is a little limited within the moat, so you may want to consider colonizing the area outside the moat for more funds (idk if the gold quantities are fairly balanced at the moment). There are a four outposts, two on each side, for being sneeky and sending your scouts across (or you can dig out your own outposts).

Jan 18, 2015
Here is my map, called Breach https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1o1Od3FuhbfdMaNUoNW1ERm5XJKr8iniMBlodM6Ew8eU/edit?usp=sharing.

It's a bit of a 'AHHMAGAWD I gotta use everything' map, but this is the idea: So there is a single brimstone block separating your side of the map from the other. The idea is to built up as much as possible and 'breach' the enemy's dungeon. But since the enemy can also attack you, you may want to consider fortifying the layers leading up to your dungeon core. There are three underworld gates (purple), one always accessible behind your core and two more on the front line which need defending. Whist gold is available, it is a little limited within the moat, so you may want to consider colonizing the area outside the moat for more funds (idk if the gold quantities are fairly balanced at the moment). There are a four outposts, two on each side, for being sneeky and sending your scouts across (or you can dig out your own outposts).
wow that is extremely impressive, i vote for this to be in the game! ^_^

Nutter

Frost Weaver
WFTO Founder
Jan 19, 2013
Huddersfield, UK
nutter666.tumblr.com

A very nicely designed map! My only thought would be, the choke/breach point is small and will make having proper battles there tricky plus, due to Brimstones chain reaction effect when it's destroyed (it destroys any other brimstone tiles next to it as it explodes), a single tile doesn't make much of a "bang!" when it goes, maybe making the breach point a little wide and putting more brimstone tiles in would be cool?

Either way awesome looking map :D

Skorp

Gargoyle
Feb 1, 2014
Here is mine https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/11w24D5SbcC_zrUjBKggJnoNepVEyYdPBph6Rg_OvXWo/edit?usp=sharing In the middle there is a gold shrine and on the sides two mana shrines. The majority of the gold is in the center of the map and surrounded by sacred earth, so the players have to mobilize their armies in order to be the one digging it.

There is also gold at the sides and the player who unlocks a stone bridge or the underminer can create a direct path to the enemy and start conquering his dungeon. But there is an easier way, as you can see both cores are exposed by sacred earth so after the middle zone is opened you can assault directly the nexus by sending your units through the main path and if the enemy doesn't have enough troops or defenses you will win. Assuming of course that he isn't tricking you to move all your army inside and then close the exit with assembly + bombards or a quick freeze potion;).

Medjay

Shadow
WFTO Backer
Aug 23, 2012
Canterbury
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1bhVyZbr7clgKHUzzhhdRxDHq8WclHiPnL2CPEiExh4w/edit?usp=sharing

Guess I did everything right. It's 2v2/ FFA Map. I would add more stuff like hero posts and reserve some areas for special items and so on, but since those were not mentioned - this is it. Named it Flower Fight.
Ahh, this kinda reminds me of a king of the hill style map, I was hoping to see some of those in WftO, looks fun :). Just thinking you might want to consider is adding another row and column to that there is a center line that the dungeon cores and central area are all aligned.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1Z0UC6Wypsk_pz0fPx5J_ZRviJ_VMnsqSUpMqw24g6nY/edit?usp=sharing

OK Made a pure 2v2 map. This one is simpler than previous one, and is intended for much faster game play. Equally balanced for all players.
I like the enclosed shape and design a lot. Definitely looks like you need good coordination with your teammate to be at your best. More of a technicality than anything, but is it okay to have natural bridge over normal land? What kind of shrines where you thinking of having?

A very nicely designed map! My only thought would be, the choke/breach point is small and will make having proper battles there tricky plus, due to Brimstones chain reaction effect when it's destroyed (it destroys any other brimstone tiles next to it as it explodes), a single tile doesn't make much of a "bang!" when it goes, maybe making the breach point a little wide and putting more brimstone tiles in would be cool?

Either way awesome looking map :D
Thanks :D, I think you've got a really good point, There is plenty of room to expand out the center area for a better bottleneck area so I'll see about tweaking it a bit.

Here is mine https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/11w24D5SbcC_zrUjBKggJnoNepVEyYdPBph6Rg_OvXWo/edit?usp=sharing In the middle there is a gold shrine and on the sides two mana shrines. The majority of the gold is in the center of the map and surrounded by sacred earth, so the players have to mobilize their armies in order to be the one digging it.

There is also gold at the sides and the player who unlocks a stone bridge or the underminer can create a direct path to the enemy and start conquering his dungeon. But there is an easier way, as you can see both cores are exposed by sacred earth so after the middle zone is opened you can assault directly the nexus by sending your units through the main path and if the enemy doesn't have enough troops or defenses you will win. Assuming of course that he isn't tricking you to move all your army inside and then close the exit with assembly + bombards or a quick freeze potion;).
I really like the whole unbalanced yet still equal and symmetrical design, that's cool. Also the general theme of engaging the enemy in pursuit of more gold is nice, adds an unusual element to the map. What kind of shrines were you thinking of having?

Top Bottom