• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

Calling all Map Designers!

Eek

Matriarch
WFTO Founder
Oct 22, 2012
Canterbury, Kent
www.leeketh.com
http://imgur.com/2vpspn4
My attempt at making a 2V2 map... designed for more co-operative play

Green has a more aggressive position, with better access to the shrines, whereas Blue has a more defensive position.
But... to avoid forcing the players into specific roles, Green is able to expand east, and Blue can go west, through some sand, and skirt around Green's base with bridges, to avoid being accidentally trapped by them if they expand and claim all the land.

I was trying to make a map with a bit more variation in starting positions, but without favouring either of the positions in each team... I hope I succeeded?

Medjay

Shadow
WFTO Backer
Aug 23, 2012
Canterbury
As the spreedsheet mapeditor and the photoshop version are rather difficult to handle i created a tool especially for wfto maps: http://ufdada.github.io/wfto-mapeditor/.

It´s far from perfect but it should be overall easier to make maps with it and share them (see Options for that). Any feedback is welcome ;)

This is truly brilliant, great work.

Just as a question to anyone in the know, will it be possible to place player owned tiles and reinforced walls in the map editor please?

Jul 27, 2014
Parts Unknown
will it be possible to place player owned tiles and reinforced walls in the map editor please?
You should already be able to place reinforced walls (these are right from the dungeon cores). At least the assets are some kind of placeholder for it. The player owned floor tiles are coming with an update (the assets are already in, but i didn´t mapped them yet).

I already mentioned some things as todos in the readme:
https://github.com/ufdada/wfto-mapeditor/blob/gh-pages/README.md

Medjay

Shadow
WFTO Backer
Aug 23, 2012
Canterbury
Ah right, I see, cheers.
Just an idea for the future if you ever thought you wanted to add it: It would be nice if the blocks around the edge could have some discreet numbers on them, just super useful for finding the mid-point of the map and for creating proper symmetry.

Jul 27, 2014
Parts Unknown
Ah right, I see, cheers.
It would be nice if the blocks around the edge could have some discreet numbers on them, just super useful for finding the mid-point of the map and for creating proper symmetry.
I currently plan to implement some info-box below the tile selection which shows the current position and tile
e.g.
Code:
-----------------------
|  size: 20x20      |
|  x: 15                 |
|  y: 2                   |
|  tile: earth        |
-----------------------
I don´t display it directly because it would probably distract you

Nutter

Inquisitor
WFTO Founder
Jan 19, 2013
Huddersfield, UK
nutter666.tumblr.com
You should already be able to place reinforced walls (these are right from the dungeon cores). At least the assets are some kind of placeholder for it. The player owned floor tiles are coming with an update (the assets are already in, but i didn´t mapped them yet).

I already mentioned some things as todos in the readme:
https://github.com/ufdada/wfto-mapeditor/blob/gh-pages/README.md
Thank you for doing what i'd originally planned on doing, in a much better way than I could ever do it :D

You're awesome, have a like.

Ember Demon
WFTO Founder
Apr 20, 2012
Worthing, West Sussex
As the spreedsheet mapeditor and the photoshop version are rather difficult to handle i created a tool especially for wfto maps: http://ufdada.github.io/wfto-mapeditor/.

It´s far from perfect but it should be overall easier to make maps with it and share them (see Options for that). Any feedback is welcome ;)
I notice that you have labelled the defence part shrine "siegeshrine", this in incorrect, the defence part shrine and the siege shrine are 2 different things.

Jul 27, 2014
Parts Unknown
I notice that you have labelled the defence part shrine "siegeshrine", this in incorrect, the defence part shrine and the siege shrine are 2 different things.
I already noticed that too :(, but since a greater overhaul of the tiles is planned, this will get fixed asap.

Meanwhile if you use that tile it will later get replaced with the correct siegeshrine asset.

Jul 27, 2014
Parts Unknown
So guys, for those that didn't already notice, i did some updates for the mapeditor.

If you already build or building your map in @nutter666 Google Spreadsheet, you can now import it as well (Just open your map, go to File=>Download as=>Download as csv). The border value defines how many tiles are surround your map in the spreadsheet (most used 3 tiles, so i picked it as default).

Even a bunch of new tiles were added (thanks @Marados !). They still need some finetuning, but should look way better than before.

Last but not least: There is a new "Mirror"-feature to make balanced maps more easily. So you just need to build a quarter or a half of the map and mirror the other parts via the option. You can even use the complete map as long as you tick the "Extend Map" checkbox.

Ember Demon
WFTO Founder
Apr 20, 2012
Worthing, West Sussex
So guys, for those that didn't already notice, i did some updates for the mapeditor.

If you already build or building your map in @nutter666 Google Spreadsheet, you can now import it as well (Just open your map, go to File=>Download as=>Download as csv). The border value defines how many tiles are surround your map in the spreadsheet (most used 3 tiles, so i picked it as default).

Even a bunch of new tiles were added (thanks @Marados !). They still need some finetuning, but should look way better than before.

Last but not least: There is a new "Mirror"-feature to make balanced maps more easily. So you just need to build a quarter or a half of the map and mirror the other parts via the option. You can even use the complete map as long as you tick the "Extend Map" checkbox.
that's so cool, I just tested it out and it works great! So far you have it set up for all shrines (sh on the spreadsheet) to be imported as research shrines, do you have codes for importing other types of shrine?

Jul 27, 2014
Parts Unknown
So far you have it set up for all shrines (sh on the spreadsheet) to be imported as research shrines, do you have codes for importing other types of shrine?
Unfortunately it is just fixed to research so far (as nutters mapeditor didn't support different shrines at all).

I defined some new shrine tags, like
- sp = perceptionshrine
- ss = siegeshrine
- sd = defencepartshrine
- sm = manashrine
- sg = goldshrine
You can use it by now.

But keep in mind that this won't work on nutters spreadsheet (they probably won't be recolored)!
Happy Mapmaking! :)

Ember Demon
WFTO Founder
Apr 20, 2012
Worthing, West Sussex
Unfortunately it is just fixed to research so far (as nutters mapeditor didn't support different shrines at all).

I defined some new shrine tags, like
- sp = perceptionshrine
- ss = siegeshrine
- sd = defencepartshrine
- sm = manashrine
- sg = goldshrine
You can use it by now.
Cool!

But keep in mind that this won't work on nutters spreadsheet (they probably won't be recolored)!
Happy Mapmaking! :)
It's a simple enough fix to allow for that :)

Top Bottom