• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

Can anyone tell me what happened in the ending?/Ending discussion[SPOILERS]

Apr 5, 2015
Parts Unknown
My game bugged out and I didn't manage to see half of the end cut scene, curious if anyone else can fully explain it. I missed all the ending cut scenes for the last 3 missions of the game as well because it crashed upon finishing them. Luckily upon restarting it said I completed the level, so yea.
VVVVV
I got to see Lucius walking up to your core and the narrarator being like, eh ok, I guess he's the new you now. Then the game crashed. When I booted it back up and went back to sandbox he said my continued existence was perplexing and that's it. Is there anything else to it?

Last edited:
Apr 6, 2015
Hmm, I'd like that as well.. From what I saw, Lucius went insane and the tutor guy made him his new pawn (How, I have no idea), my game bugged as well, so all I saw was him standing in front of my heart and then it cut to some psychedelic cutsceen saying "Welcome back overlord", and well, it ends there.. Not sure if theres more than that.. Hopefully there is, if there is not, then its a kinda shit ending.. It does not even give any kind of glimmer of what happens next.. At best it says "You died and went back to the aether"..

Apr 6, 2015
Also, all the cinematics was bugged for me as well.. Hell, the draw bridge was on its side.. So it was vertical.

Also, I swarmed Lucius with so many mobs that the madeus or what ever his name is could not even deliver his lines, I killed him and then he went on about "Oh noes, he does something! You cannot kill hiiimz!" except.. He was already dead.. He then went on to saying Lucius is teleporting away.. Which he didnt because again, he was dead.

He then told me to go back to my own realm, where Lucius just blows some dirt blocks, stands in front of my heart and says... Well, nothing really other than the fact Lucius is somehow his pawn.. I am pretty sure a lot of the voices cut out for some reason...

I seriously hope they will give us a way to figure out what really happened.. Since well.. Most of the story was like reading a news paper after the dog had a go at it.. Most of the voice acting cut out or were absent.. Other times when I loaded a game I would hear new dialog I didnt hear before.

Fireeye

Augre
WFTO Backer
Dec 30, 2012
Ze Germany
So, from what I understand the story goes like this:

Kira
(the Empire Goddess) throws you out of the "good" realm (symbolized by blue fog), and you land in the "evil" realm (symbolized by red fog). Why she does this I don't know, but she appears surprised enough when you later meet her again in C7; in the mission where you try to save Rhaskos and destroy the Aum.

In comes Mendechaus (the mentor) who wants to ease you in, something which, as he says "seemingly becomes easier each time". This could mean two things:
a) Mendechaus has been the mentor of other Underlords before
b) The player character repeatedly has served under Mendechaus

Mendechaus then explains (or claims to explain) the function of your home realm, and notes that you are so weak because your home realm has been shattered. Your journey into Kairos begins.

The first Underlord you meet is Marcus, who behaves very un-underlordy in that he seems to loathe violence and just wants his peace. When you kill him, Marcus warns you that your aggression will be the end of you.

The second Underlord we met is Rhaskos. He initially seems to be normal enough, but the presence of Empire forces and apparently Kira herself brings back old memories of his former self that is not like what he is now, or like the player Underlord. He also notes that the images do no promise him "the Aether, but something else", which is odd seeing how he supposedly is one of the aetherborn Underlords, and should automatically return there once the core in his home realm is shattered. This implies that Rhaskos was not always an Underlord, and could return to his former self (whatever that may be).

Then we met Mira, who promptly snoopes the Kenos away from under your nose. As you besiege her, she will taunt you saying that Mendechaus will betray and lead you astray, "as he has done to countless others". Of course, the chances are high that she's in fact lying, and might still do so when she pleads for mercy, claiming that the Kenos has "twisted her mind". Note down the latter quote.

Right after fetching the Kenos, we come to the perhaps most interesting mission, story-wise. While you fight against Kasita, Draven, and Korvek, they will have a little talk. Apparently, there were many "restless spirits all seeking a master before there were gods to give them direction". (Some of) these spirits, I do believe, would eventually become the Underlords, but we're not quite there yet.

So we get to Uther's Landing, and lookey here, Emperor Lucius has developed a bad case of megalomania and being batshit insane in general for absorbing the Aum. Which is interesting, given that the Aum is basically the Empire's version of the Kenos, and the latter drove Mira to madness in a surprisingly similar way. In any case, Lucius apparently doesn't mind that you slaughter his soldiers by the dozen and raze parts of his base - he even asks you to "remove he old" so he can rebuild his Empire according to his own vision atop of the ruins.

In any case, a few minutes later your minions are deeply busy punching the dear life out of Lucius, but the latter decides to be a killjoy and teleports to your realm. There he marches straight to your core, obliterating walls, traps, and just about anything else in his path. Just as he is about to make Chop Suey out of your Home Core, Mendechaus tunes in and cynically explains that Lucius is now his new pawn. In other words, the entire "War for the Overworld" only served to drive Lucius insane and make him easier to control for Mendechaus.

Lucius then presumably destroys your home core, and you are sent back to the Aether as expected. This time, however, you are suddenly greated with the blue fog or Kira instead of the red fog of Mendechaus, and the goddess greets you with the words "Welcome back, Overseer" - a term she may or may not have used right at the beginning of the game when her voice shouted "Now go, Overs- *inaudible*"

(contd.)

Fireeye

Augre
WFTO Backer
Dec 30, 2012
Ze Germany
Warning: At this point, my theory is more or less fanfiction until we get a confirmation by the devs:

So apparently, there not only are Underlords, but also Overseers, seemingly the "good" version of Underlords. If we also take in account that Underlords were those "restless spirits" the trio in C12 mentioned, it seems logical that the Overseers came from the same bunch. As the Overseers seemingly are aligned with Kira, she most likely is one of the "gods to give them (the unbound spirits) direction" (C12). In other words, some of the primal spirits went with Kira (good Overseers) and one or more other gods (one of which rules the evil Underlords).

If we accept this theory, we should probably also consider that Mendechaus is the one (or one of the) Gods who rule said Underlords, as Kira does with the Overlords. The interesting question is whether the Underlords came into being at the same time as the Overseers.

If you recall playing C7, Kira will say that Mendechaus' "plays have become far to predictable", and that you will "observe the snipping of your friends (Rhaskos') strings". If we also consider the dialogue of Rhaskos, and how his memories only returned when Kira was "nearby", so to speak, we might reasonably well assume that Rhaskos used to be an Overseer but was corrupted into an Overlord later on.

Suddenly the quote of Mira in regards to Mendechaus comes back to mind. "He will lead you astray, as he has done with countless others". Again, Mira could be lying, but on the other hand, what is practically the next thing Mendechaus does? He corrupts Emperor Lucius with your help, turning the young sovereign into an insane demigod. And he happily lets Lucius destroy your Main Core, arguably expecting to find a better tool in him. Expecting that he can corrupt him, make him into a willing servant with promises of power.

And what about the player? What about Rhaskos? And the other Underlords?
What follows is the shakiest part of my theory.

The player Underlord and Rhaskos, perhaps also Marcus and Mira were Overseers once. All of them were corrupted by Mendechaus just as he did lead to the corruption of Emperor Lucius. That's why Kira called his plans "predictable". He may have corrupted Mira before, so that her "lies" actually were a moment of clarity". He corrupted Rhaskos to the point that only the direct presence of his former goddess could restores his memory about his former self. He corrupted the player character into being his willing tool. And then he corrupted the Emperor Lucius, now a being with divine power, stronger than any Underlord could hope to be.

Chances are we will at some point fight under the banner of Kira to stop Mendechaus.

=End of Fanfiction=

Another interesting thing - by the time you reach the Imperial palace, you have destroyed and subjugated or "absorbed" all other Underlords in Kairos. Perhaps Mendechaus could not control to many puppets at once, and this is what caused Marcus, and the Trio to be "neutral" in the conflict?

Apr 6, 2015
Very well explained mate, thumbs up, though I am wondering what happened to that Rhaskos person, after all. It says later that I killed him, except... I never saw anything like that.. In fact, I saved him without anyone hitting him even once.. so, how did he die? Another cutscene that bugged out perhaps? Did I save him just to kill him myself?

Fireeye

Augre
WFTO Backer
Dec 30, 2012
Ze Germany
Very well explained mate, thumbs up, though I am wondering what happened to that Rhaskos person, after all. It says later that I killed him, except... I never saw anything like that.. In fact, I saved him without anyone hitting him even once.. so, how did he die? Another cutscene that bugged out perhaps? Did I save him just to kill him myself?
Kira might have reversed his corruption and turned him back into an overseer, or his main core might have been destroyed by the same shockwave that destroyed your minions at the end of the mission. Who knows.

Nutter

Frost Weaver
WFTO Founder
Jan 19, 2013
Huddersfield, UK
nutter666.tumblr.com
Kira might have reversed his corruption and turned him back into an overseer, or his main core might have been destroyed by the same shockwave that destroyed your minions at the end of the mission. Who knows.
Whilst I can't be 100% clear on it.. I think the intention is that, when you reach the door.. the units channeling the aum have just reach 100% and finally activated their ritual and it does whatever it was about to do (which could be cleansing rhaskos or outright killing him, who knows)

Apr 5, 2015
Parts Unknown
Very interesting explanation. It makes a lot more sense now. I'd love to see some kind of continuation on this story once they've stabilized things. Seems many of these Overseers have quite a bone to pick with Mendechaus.

In other likely non-canon news, if you go back to playing sandbox after the betrayal, mendechaus will express his disbelief that you're not dead several times, then try to figure out why you're still there and where Lucius went. If you keep playing long enough he'll say something along the lines of: "Well if you're still not going to die, I refuse to say anymore on the matter. I'm going now. We may meet again in the future." His narrator dialogue then returns to normal.

Nutter

Frost Weaver
WFTO Founder
Jan 19, 2013
Huddersfield, UK
nutter666.tumblr.com
Very interesting explanation. It makes a lot more sense now. I'd love to see some kind of continuation on this story once they've stabilized things. Seems many of these Overseers have quite a bone to pick with Mendechaus.
I've wanted to kick his ass from the moment I first saw that ending during testing ¬_¬ sending me back to the aether after all I did for him!

Apr 5, 2015
Parts Unknown
I've wanted to kick his ass from the moment I first saw that ending during testing ¬_¬ sending me back to the aether after all I did for him!
One of his quotes during the whole after-campaign sandbox thing is saying that you really didn't accomplish much and could have done better. :I

Then again, farther down the dialogue chain he says how without you, he might have been destroyed and how ironic it is.

May 18, 2013
Florida
One of his quotes during the whole after-campaign sandbox thing is saying that you really didn't accomplish much and could have done better. :I

Then again, farther down the dialogue chain he says how without you, he might have been destroyed and how ironic it is.
He also says maybe you never left your home realm and were just imagining a scenario where you were the most important being in the universe. And some time later, "Now, I'm not suggesting you're mad, but you have to concede the point that right now you shouldn't even exist."

Anyway the betrayal was pretty obvious, it wasn't foreshadowed so much as thrown in your face every single time you came up against another underlord. But I'd still sure like to know what the hell actually is supposed to have happened. Probably the biggest disappointment about this release is most of the story exposition doesn't work because every cutscene either cuts off or locks up the game. I feel there's no way to make such an ending wholly satisfying anyway. Also the fact that the mini-campaign DLC has already been revealed to not be related to Oberon (the player "character") means we presumably won't know anything more until they release a second proper campaign, or perhaps even a sequel.

Honestly I could've been perfectly happy for this game to not have much of an attempt at a story; it always worked for DK. But attempting it and then having it sortof just... not work is more disappointing. Additionally, I just don't want to be RR's enemy - he doesn't seem like someone whose bad side you should be on.

Also the home realm dialogues really have too much delay between them, given how little there is to do in your home realm while you wait.

Apr 6, 2015
I really wish the game werent so buggy.. You see.. I went and killed the priestesses on the level with the Rhak fella before the waves started, however, my minions bugged through the door, so I never smashed the door up, so even after the waves were done I still hadnt completed the level.

So, I went and smashed the door, and that was it. Nothing happened, so I never saw the shockwave that killed everything... Nothing happened.. Are you just supposed to smash the door and then the priestesses kill everything? Or do you smash the door and kill the priestesses whom then kill everything with their dying breath?

May 18, 2013
Florida
I really wish the game werent so buggy.. You see.. I went and killed the priestesses on the level with the Rhak fella before the waves started, however, my minions bugged through the door, so I never smashed the door up, so even after the waves were done I still hadnt completed the level.

So, I went and smashed the door, and that was it. Nothing happened, so I never saw the shockwave that killed everything... Nothing happened.. Are you just supposed to smash the door and then the priestesses kill everything? Or do you smash the door and kill the priestesses whom then kill everything with their dying breath?
I smashed through the door and then it just ended for me.

May 9, 2013
Just completed it. I still have no idea what happened. As it seems i missed all the cutscenes. I didnt realize there was something at the end of each level. They all just kind of ended.

Was there actually any point to your home realm? Whenever i went there i could build stuff, but that was pretty much it.

May 18, 2013
Florida
Just completed it. I still have no idea what happened. As it seems i missed all the cutscenes. I didnt realize there was something at the end of each level. They all just kind of ended.

Was there actually any point to your home realm? Whenever i went there i could build stuff, but that was pretty much it.
The mentor has several lines of dialogue there after each mission.

Jul 15, 2015
Hey there !
Let's dig a bit.
I found something : there is a band called The Overseer, who released a song called "Mendacious", the title of their album is "We Search, We Dig".
I don't know if it's related, but that's quite funny.

I think we are Kira's ling, sent on the underworld on the purpose to be corrupted by the Mentor "Mendechaus" or "Mendacious". I think all was planned by Kira from the start.

Aug 8, 2015
www.twitter.com
That... kinda makes sense actually. She says Mendechaus' plays are predictable and whatnot, so she'd be fully able to realize "hey, I'll be dealing with one of my own overseers, he'll toss 'em out and I'll pick 'em back up again"

I personally think the 12 missions that exist aren't all that's going to be, I mean, why have the ending cinematic have the words "Welcome back Overseer" in Kira's voice if we weren't gonna be fighting for the good guys in missions which simply haven't been made yet? I honestly think it's kinda the largest evidence that we're getting either an entirely separate campaign, or just even more missions atop the 12-mission campaign we've got already. If we weren't, that cinematic wouldn't exist, quite simply to be honest and just maybe the ending would be different.

Canonically it kinda also would make a bit of sense since in the start, Mendechaus teaches you the ropes, an Underlord who's "Been away for awhile" who literally can't remember the simplest of things such as placing rooms and digging out terrain. No matter how much time we'd be talking, the only way an Underlord who Mendecause would greet warmly, is if they were indeed a brainwashed Overseer, so corrupted that they cannot remember how to even speak, let alone place rooms.

Also I think the player Underlord is named Oberron, but I'm most likely 100% wrong on that.

I personally didn't get any cinematics after each level, just at the start and at the end.

Also the king, driven mad with divine power and corrupted by Mendechaus to use him to finish the Empire off, sends him to kill your dungeon Core for sure as he literally walks near walls and they disintegrate.

It's also well-known that RTS games always end on a high note. The last mission of any good RTS game's campaign is the hardest and most intense. I don't know about you guys... but the only intense thing about the 12th mission is the lag. It was fairly easy when I got to it since I'd already learned some starting strats and had everything down.

If the 12th mission isn't the last one, I mean whichever one is the last one (so far ofcourse) for everytime I mention the 12th mission.

Also I don't really know what the Aum's purpose is. We know it gets into the King's hands and he pretty much goes Super Saiyan, but as far as I remember, Rhaskos dies due to the Empire's attacks on him in his home realm. Not sure if the Aum was there.

My knowledge on the campaign is about a month old, I'm currently working on the Master AI theme first, since after that, the campaign themes should be fairly easy IMO, so I might be a bit off or alot off here and there.

Save for the ending. I was pumped after that to get my revenge on Mendechaus. Can't forget it. Don't think it was all a dream though. It's not really that we're the most important, more that we're the most skilled Underlord, which is fairly plausible. The Overseer we were previously was probably VERY talented, enough that Mendechaus bothered in corrupting and brainwashing us (presumably) and then taking the time to guide us in being his tool to discard later.

Just my opinion and 2 cents on the matter.

Puke

Warden
Jul 15, 2015
I think the last mission was easy because the game is poorly balanced. Since walls are useless, you can simply dig huge rooms. Also, gold is never an issue during the campaign.
Sure, the scenario can backup this because we are "the choosen one", but I think that is not the purpose.

I also raise you that Medechaus could come from Mendecious (Latin not simply for liar but for "not telling the truth, deception").

Top Bottom