1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cheat codes/Map editor

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Insantyz, Apr 5, 2015.

?

Do we want cheat codes?

1. Yes

66.7%
  2. No

33.3%
  1. Randy19

Randy19 Bafu

You will be able to unlock additional Dungeon Themes trough them. So yes. Yes they are.

2. Lord of Riva

Lord of Riva The Lord Founder

there is no fierce opposition. im an advocate for free cheating in any single-player game.

Still we have given various reasons why we wont give access to the console now.
    as soon as we can and im allowed tp i will put them onto gamefaqs personally (as long as nobody else was faster already)

Randy19 and Amon like this.
  3. Seluhir

Seluhir Spirit

I do think changing the password is a horrible waste of you guys' time. Because no matter how many times you change it... it's going to take SOMEONE out there just as little time to crack it as it took you to change it. Not saying I'm going to... hell I don't even have ACCESS to the game yet because the steam version is all that's available... but someone will, and you can't stop them. No amount of appealing to common sense, warnings, threats or otherwise will stop them from cracking the password. Make the password 7000 characters long and people will STILL crack it within the first few hours.

I think cheats in single player can be fun for people who have already finished the game and I think sometimes they can let people avoid the parts of the game they don't enjoy, which can be fun for them too... but regardless of the attitude towards cheats... changing the password is foolish and a waste of time.

(sorry if this is a bit delayed of a post, I only check these forums every so often and look for topics that catch my interest)

4. Jessen21

Jessen21 Warden

In my opinion, the password is just going to be found sooner or later anyways. The best the devs can do is lock it for multiplayer and make a disclaimer telling that they are not responsible for any harm to your computer that results from their use in singleplayer. Coming from the beta, I understand the need to actually 'have' the console for fixing things, and while I was testing, I played around and had some fun with it myself. I would love to teach people the 'safe' useage the console too.

5. Psycix

Psycix Dryad Founder

The password has already been found once, and then they changed it.
    I think it is indeed a dumb move to keep doing this, because this entices people to hack into the game. (It even enticed me.)

Why not simply disable the console until you change a 0 to a 1 in settings.ini: "ConsoleEnabled=1"
    Then powerusers can use it, and normal people will be protected and not challenged with a mysterious password.
    It would always be disabled in multiplayer.

Moreum likes this.
  6. Lord of Riva

Could we give this topic a rest for a bit? we have stated why we currently want to avoid the debug console and thats not a move we do to annoy or entice people. We are aware that people will get the coode, and we will have to change it again.
    Im not even sure on how long Sim wants to protect it, but again its not an ulterior move to lock you gus out.

its probably a matter of weeks, rather then Months so please be a little patient

7. Jessen21

Jessen21 Warden

Its been a while, maybe we can look into the debug console?

8. Lord of Riva

Indeed, I will bring this up again.

Though i have to say im grinding my teeth agains a solid rock to some extent here.

JulianB3000 likes this.
  9. Jessen21

Jessen21 Warden

Sorry Riva, it just was said to take weeks rather than months and its been almost a year since release.

10. Lord of Riva

no, you are absolutely right there.

the thing is the information i had back then did not come true. The reasons i told the people stzill hold true, althoiugh personally i do not see them valid anymore.
    As sai im going to talk @Simburgur about that. But do not hold your breath as his stance on the matter has not yet changed the last time i talked about it with him.

11. Lord of Riva

Hey Jessen21 i have reached Simburgur about that and we may see the interesting debug commands openly available soon.
    There are some debug features that arent really relevant to "enhance" your gameplay though (like triggering specific parts of the event chain etc.) which we probably will omit. ill come back to this thread when the ticket is finished :)

12. Jessen21

Jessen21 Warden

Sweet! That is great news. I was hoping for this deeply, because I love to experiment a bit and when I had debug access I made a really great home realm, but since I reset it, I can't try to remake the result.

13. Lord of Riva

just to add to this. we are currently working on 1.4 the debug commands will be available with 1.5

sadly it is not in my hands.

14. [DD]CR0NO

[DD]CR0NO Bloodling

I only use cheats for testing my maps or parts of it (in a fast way) or for capturing my video's (faster, remove hud, etc)

Cheats should be disabled for multiplayer, but possible if wanted for singleplayer. When activated, the achievements should be automatic disabled. (like in starcraft 2 or other games with these options)

That's my opinion. off course playing with cheats against ai kills all the fun out of the game, and since master AI is pretty easy these days (experience) there is no real need to use cheats anyway except for fast testing in my case.