• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

Cheats??

Lupin

Priestess
WFTO Founder
Jan 9, 2013
Currently orbiting Magrathea
Now, I posted this in the comments section of the Kickstarter, but since we rarely use that now, it makes more sense to do it here. So I ask, will there be cheats in the game? I ask because there are some occasions when you just want to feel like a complete (insert swear word here) and use the money cheat or the "everyone is level 10" cheat just to get ahead quicker. Now I know that saying this just makes me sound as though I use cheat's all the time, honestly I don't. It is just something that is nice to have if you find you completely suck at that one level and need a helping hand.

It would also hark back to the old days when there were cheats in games, it's a rare thing to see now in video games (properly because games are now a lot easier then the Nintendo Hard days of our childhood). I always loved it when cheats were referencing popular culture (like in Warcraft 3. the Infinite Mana cheat was "there is no spoon").

And on a side note, you could have Richard lampshade it by saying certain lines when you activate certain cheats. For example, if you did the money cheat, he could say "Where did all this extra gold come from" or something to that effect.

So what does everyone else think?

Shark 7-11

Cultist
WFTO Backer
Jan 11, 2013
You know cheats are generaly used for debugging games, if you want to test something, you dont want to play the gme for an hour to test what will happen if a lvl 10 creature gets enough xp for the next lvl. So having said that, I am sure it will be available. Whether they will be published, well,, that is another question. I never actually had the need to actually try and cheat DK due to the gameplay, you jsut build and when you ready you attack (well for most campaigns at least), so when you wanna sit back and chill, you can play one level for an hour or more. Well that is how it felt for me back in the day when i played it at least. The compaigns with time constraint enable a god mode... or should i say Horny-mode (that sounds wrong), that would be cool

Lord of Riva

The Lord
WFTO Founder
Dec 29, 2012
there was a statment in the ama (i think) where one aof the devs mentioned on the topic: "why not"

as shark already said its for testing the games im sure there will be cheats in the game ;) (and in the release, why bother deleting them? )

Shark 7-11

Cultist
WFTO Backer
Jan 11, 2013
Well thinking of this, i hope some of the level are difficult. I don't want a game I finish the first time round, some things should require me to rethink my tactics etc. I am saying this because today's games are so.... easy. In today's terms, the Nightmare mode means the good old standard 1990's difficulty. (laughed at this example:
)

sorudo

Gargoyle
WFTO Backer
Jan 3, 2013
building my dungeon
there is a semi-cheat in DK1 i loved to exploit, edit the creature file and you can make everything free.
always do this on spells because some of them are simply way to expensive, don't really care about the rest :p

kyton786

Bafu
WFTO Backer
Dec 8, 2012
Washington,usa
Game exploitation already :eek:
Let's play all the levels first then try out the cheats.
i understand you want to play the game like normal. honestly i do to. but im not going to say no to cheats and besides some people just want an easy win, this is a game after all. if they want to cheat to win in a single player game that is their choice. it is about making it fun and accessible to everyone.

ShadowTiger

Crackpot
WFTO Founder
Dec 10, 2011
New York
Cheats are mostly for tests.
If you use them because you can't win something - you are doing it wrong.
But then they would be called "Tests." :p

I am fully in favor of cheats being in the game. DK2's were a lovely example. Even frustrating cheats, where you absolutely must jump through hoops and daggers to activate even one single-use cheat. It somewhat discourages ruining the game for yourself that easily.

Enjou

Ember Demon
WFTO Backer
Jan 10, 2012
I also recall one of the devs mentioning that they'd be fine with throwing in some cheats, just can't find where.

I don't mind having cheats. Nobody is forcing you to use them, and sometimes it can be fun to have a curb-stomp battle. I prefer to win legitimately first though.

Fireeye

Augre
WFTO Backer
Dec 30, 2012
Ze Germany
I suppose they will add in the classical cheats for debugging purposes. However, what I really miss are the kind of cheat codes commonly found in older video games that were meant to be humorous rather than turning all your units invincible or something like that. For instance, many older ego-shooters had cheat codes which, when entered, dramatically inflated the heads of all NPCs, whereas Age of Empires ha the good ol' cobra car and Storm Troopers. They were more of an easter-egg, of course, but I really find it sad that you don't see stuff like this anymore.

chaoseater

Gargoyle
WFTO Backer
Feb 29, 2012
Milton keynes UK
DK1 and 2 i use cheats for now i have finished both games so meany times i got bored so i used cheats to make it abit more fun for me i dotn see anything wrong with using them just keep it away from online play :D

Azrael

Templar
WFTO Backer
Jan 5, 2013
If, i'd rather prefer them being silly, like in AoE/AoM. Who doesn't want to bring ruin to his enemies by kissing them to death with purple flying hippos?

Medjay

Shadow
WFTO Backer
Aug 23, 2012
Canterbury
If, i'd rather prefer them being silly, like in AoE/AoM. Who doesn't want to bring ruin to his enemies by kissing them to death with purple flying hippos?
Heh, yeah, flying purple hippos and laser bears...can't beat it.

On a general point, I can't see anything wrong with the use of cheats (I would prefer at least some of them to be totally random and funny).
However, if the use of cheats really was a concern, then it could be that cheats are a reward for beating the campaign the first time. This means that you ensure that people play properly, but then give them some more replayability though cheats.

Lord of Riva

The Lord
WFTO Founder
Dec 29, 2012
except for peple who find it funy to cheat ;)

i dont like it either but it is an opinion thing, theres no reason to discuss it (so long as it is only in singleplayer at least)

Jan 3, 2013
it would be silly if we could cheat in multiplayer, just imagine trying to take down an enemy underlord and you keep on losing mana/gold while your enemy doesn't at all.
DK2 v1.3 allowed cheats in multiplayer. Imagine what kind of games were on official server until 1.5 patch was released.

Top Bottom