• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

[Creature] Banshee

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 14, 2011
Delaware
Note to Mods: Could the thread please be changed to Banshee? I've decided to just change the semi-crap suggestion to something I've been working on for a while. Thank you.

Name Banshee

Stats:

Health: Low
Attack: Low
Armour: Low
Accuracy: High
Agility: Average
Speed: Average
Luck: High
Recovery Rate: Average
Intelligence: Low
Construction: Low
Training Rate: Average
Training Cost: Average
Wage: High

Skills:
Level 1: Shout
The Banshee shouts at an enemy, dealing low damage.
Level 3: Shriek
The Banshee lets out a short, quick screech, stunning all nearby enemies for 2 seconds.
Level 5: Scream
The Banshee screams in a cone AoE, sending out three soundwaves. Each sound wave expands as it grows further from the origin point, but it also grows weaker. Each sound wave starts out doing average damage.
Level 7: Voices on the Wind
The Banshee sings a short song and points at a creature, resulting in a turncoat effect for 10 seconds.
Level 10: Banshee Howl
The Banshee screams with all her might, causing the very earth to shake. Creatures caught in the blast take heavy damage and are knocked down. AoE is similar to that of scream, though about twice as large.

Information: The mortals of the Overworld would have you believe that Banshees merely foretell deaths. In reality, however, they bring about them. The Banshee is told of as a somber being. Another misconception. Anyone who has ever met a Banshee will tell you that their personality is almost as loud as their voices, and they seem to be utterly insane. Regardless, she is an excellent addition to your dungeon, and she won't mind working hard in the Graveyard. Still, she does have a strange habit of talking to the corpses...

Behavior in Dungeon: The Banshee likes to do anything and everything. Note, this does not mean she is good at anything and everything. Drop her in the library, and she'll start chatting up the carpet, drop her in the guardroom, and she'll start yelling at the rocks, need I say what happens when you drop her in the workshop...? No, the best place for her is a nice, quiet Graveyard. Here, she can sing as much as she wants, as this will draw in spirits to be used in reanimation. Another good place is the Prison, where she dangles keys in front of the prisoners, or has psychotic episodes that would make even the bravest warrior whimper.

Graveyard Features (If its going to be in the game)
So, I decided to incorporate her into the Graveyard so she becomes somewhat necessary to the functioning of it. Obviously, this means the Graveyard would have to function much differently than the previous DK one, so here are my suggestions for changes to the function.
The Graveyard would need its own supply of bodies, which you would get from killing enemies or creatures that died in battle, and souls, which you would get from the Banshee singing. To use these resources, you could choose creatures from the Graveyard menu to spawn, or you could press a toggle to allocate resources automatically.
Anyway, this is just kind of a sub suggestion. Even if this isn't good, she can always be in charge of the Prison.

Battle Style: Support
She needs to stay a bit closer to the battle than average support, because of her cone AoE.
Shriek can give you that extra time to get in the first few hits.
Scream will allow you to damage a small group of enemies.
Voices on the Wind ability can quickly turn the tide of battle or provide a cover for escape.
Banshee Howl can take out small groups of low levels soldiers single-handedly.

Jobs: Drawing in Spirits
Taunting Prisoners
Partying in the Tavern
Talking to Corpses

Obtainable By: Creature, Neutral

Hates: Heros, "Boring" people

Loves: Corpses, pranksters, prisoners

Anger reaction: Turns hostile and steals bodies from the Graveyard.

Lair: A vanity desk with a broken mirror.

Appearance:

How Introduced: Mid game

Attracted by: Graveyards and Prisons

Entrance Effect: Laughs and Cries emanate from the portal as the Banshee soars out.

Co0kieL0rd

Cultist
WFTO Backer
Jan 29, 2012
yeah, I don't know. It looks promising but I can't picture her anywhere in the game. There seems to be nothing special in a dungeon she can relate to. I bet there are already dozens of ideas for researchers and sharing warm welcomes with walking corpses just isn't useful enough. With every creature you create, try also to think of an element in the campaign that will be new and essential in a certain mission. This element can be a room, an ability to do something no other creature can, or that it's powerful against something the enemy is using.

Nov 14, 2011
Delaware
yeah, I don't know. It looks promising but I can't picture her anywhere in the game. There seems to be nothing special in a dungeon she can relate to. I bet there are already dozens of ideas for researchers and sharing warm welcomes with walking corpses just isn't useful enough. With every creature you create, try also to think of an element in the campaign that will be new and essential in a certain mission. This element can be a room, an ability to do something no other creature can, or that it's powerful against something the enemy is using.
Well, I do have some ideas, but I wasn't sure how they'd work out, so I decided to just post the rough draft as opposed to forgetting about. Regardless, here are two of my ideas.

- She could work in the Graveyard, raising efficiency.
- Undead gain a bonus when fighting near her.

Also, i know her name is a little weird, and her concept as well. Do you think I should change them to be more, well, dungeon-y?
Anyway, thank you. I appreciate the criticism. My stuff is never perfect off the bat.

Co0kieL0rd

Cultist
WFTO Backer
Jan 29, 2012
"Working" on a graveyard is an interesting idea. You should specify that in your description. Say exactly what's her job in the dungeon and why it's good for the keeper to have one or two of them. I think the name is okay. When I hear "matron" I picture a bossy elderly women which might suit her.

Anyway, Octomaid, Bog Witch, Wisp Matron - you like the idea of disfigured women condemned to eternal suffering filled with bitterness, don't you? ;)

Nov 14, 2011
Delaware
"Working" on a graveyard is an interesting idea. You should specify that in your description. Say exactly what's her job in the dungeon and why it's good for the keeper to have one or two of them. I think the name is okay. When I hear "matron" I picture a bossy elderly women which might suit her.

Anyway, Octomaid, Bog Witch, Wisp Matron - you like the idea of disfigured women condemned to eternal suffering filled with bitterness, don't you? ;)
Well, I kept the Graveyard function. But shes been over hauled.

And yeah, I do. It reminds me of certain people. But this one should be more fun-loving now.

Co0kieL0rd

Cultist
WFTO Backer
Jan 29, 2012
Hey, this concept is much more interesting in my opinion. The banshee brings with herself a fun factor and a useful work potential into the dungeon. Still you should specify what exactly happens when spirits are raised. How do you think the graveyard in WFTO should work? (It should differ from the graveyard from DK.)
Her skill Voices on the Wind is too strong. Imagine the enemy's whole army being distracted for 10 seconds! If the target is a tank unit, this time can be sufficient for your own forces to knock out half of the enemies.
Apart from that, I like your new ideas. Keep on!

Nov 14, 2011
Delaware
That skill, voices, could be balanced by making it a turncoat like effect, without the target attacking its allies too. This means only some creatures will be distracted.
I like this idea. Way more balanced than the original.

I added a little info on how the Graveyard - could - work.

Tommonius

Necromancer
WFTO Backer
Dec 15, 2012
Wolverhampton
I really like the Banshee and cannot help but comment on it now we know of the necromancer and the Ghoul plus the Crypt, it is like it has unleashed the pandora's box for me as now we know undead are made with captured and stored souls, I cannot help but think if we can get various forms of undead and a Banshee wailing around would be great, I did a Banshee suggestion myself but this one was here first lol.

Hope we get more undea at the very least.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom