• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

[Creature] Basilisk

Status
Not open for further replies.
Feb 10, 2012
Name Basilisk

Preface: the basilisk is a sweet mythological creature depicted in many different ways, so while other creatures may be more strict lore-wise, the basilisk has more creative freedom. Also I feel these buggers would fit well in a game such as this, seeing as if it were to live anywhere, underground seems pretty fitting.

Appearance image: Here are some pictures that are roughly how I picture a basilisk should look. The bearded dragon pics are there because I think its behavior and body should be lightly based off that of a bearded dragon..a giant, stony, 8 legged 1 of course.

http://img.aegen.nl/6E/Thicket%20Basilisk.jpg

http://img.aegen.nl/ROE/Daggerback%20Basilisk.jpg

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_gifwiu39Myw/SG1cO_b8P6I/AAAAAAAAADg/jjbdh4wpWHg/s400/018_basiliskV2f.jpg

http://animal-world.com/encyclo/reptiles/lizards_agamids/images/BeardedDragonWHLA_ApFpH102.jpg

http://www.the-lizard-lounge.com/content/gallery/lizard-pictures/bearded-dragon-pictures/bearded-dragon-02.jpg

Stats:

Health: moderate
Attack: moderate
Armour: high
Accuracy: moderate
Agility: low
Speed: low

Recovery Rate: above average
Intelligence: n/a
Construction: n/a
Training Rate: slow
Training Cost: moderate
Wage: high

Skills:

Level 1: melee - the Basilisk bites with its jaws and swats with its tail

Level 2: bad blood – (passive) the basilisk’s blood is toxic, giving every melee attack against it a 35% chance to poison the attacker, dealing low poison damage for 5 seconds. this ability only procs on attacks using bladed weapons/claws (slash damage for example), and the attack MUST hit.

Level 4: flight of fight – the basilisk gets a movement/attack speed boost, increasing speed by 100% for 8 seconds. short cooldown.

Level 6: petrifying gaze – the basilisk sends out a beam of blue light, freezing a unit in place for 10 seconds. Damage does not cancel the effect. If a unit is killed while petrified they shatter, killing them. Moderate cooldown.

Level 8: gem hide – (passive) the basilisk’s hide becomes embedded with many gems. All ranged abilities cast on it will have a 40% chance to ricochet off in a random direction, damaging any unit it its, yours or the enemies.

Level 10: death glare – the basilisk unleashes a burst of petrifying light, petrifying all units before it for 8 seconds. If killed while petrified the unit will die. This effects all units caught within the attack radius and the range is short. After using this ability the basilisk gets a 50% damage increase to its next melee attack. Long cooldown.

Weaknesses/resistances: the basilisk’s hardy hide makes melee/physical damage SLIGHTLY less efective. And while it isn’t immune to fire, fire based attacks do slightly less damage. It is however not fond of cold, and ice/cold damage do extra damage to it, as well they may make it flee from combat.

Information: a large lizard-like creature, with a thick hide. It’s a simple creature at nature but nasty in a pinch with the ability to petrify enemies and with its poisonous blood.

Behavior in Dungeon: the basilisk is a simple and lazy creature. Like many of its lesser lizard cousins, it spends much time basking in warmth lazily and much time sleeping. It enjoys being near lava but isn’t immune to it. While not sleeping or basking in warmth it will happily gorge itself in your hatchery. It will train if forced to, and will guard but only for a short time before it wanders off. It prefers the company of fire based creatures due to their warmth and dislikes icy creatures. Although it is very slow to get angry, but gets upset like anything else. It also enjoys gold and may roll around in your treasury.

Battle Style: Blocker. This particular breed of Basilisk has a thick, hardy hide and can take quite a beating, especially one of higher level. Being a beast of low intelligence it will only retreat if greatly outnumbered or near death.

Jobs: training and guarding when made to, but will only guard for a short time before it wanders off. Left to its own devices it will sleep, eat and lounge in warm places. Seldom it will trot alongside fire-based creatures.

Obtainable By: portal

Hates: it hates being hungry so an empty hatchery will upset it, as will having small space in the lair. Being around cold/ice based creatures too long will upset it and if nothing is done to please it, it may attack these creatures. And while it may not hate them, it will attack insect-like creatures if hungry and there is no food available. If these creatures are knocked out by the basilisk it will eat them, killing them.

Loves: it loves having a full tummy and eating. It enjoys being near lava and being in the company of fire based creatures or even creatures that use fire spells. It also enjoys full treasuries.

Anger reaction: when angered the basilisk will vandalize your dungeon, ruin your food supply, and attack weaker creatures.

Lair: a mound of dirt with gems glistening from it. The basilisk will sleep inside it and only the glow from its eyes will be visible.

Appearance: the basilisk is a large (roughly 6 feet or so long and 4 feet high) reptilian creature with 8 legs. Its skin is an earthy, brownish green, resembling mossy stone even, and as hard as rock if not stronger. Along its back are stony spines that trail down most its tail. Its large, lizard-like mouth is full of razor-sharp teeth, and its eyes glow dimly with the power to petrify its enemies.

How Introduced: on a level most likely where you can build a bigger than average hatchery or even in a hot level. I imagine like many units, you don’t find it, it comes through your portal.

Attracted by: large hatchery, lair, warmth. The basilisk eats more than most units and while it likes being near lava, lava isn’t needed to acquire a basilisk. You may just get more of them in hotter places.

Entrance Effect: it crawls up from the portal and sluggishly makes its way into your dungeon.

Torture: a mirror is out in its face and it repeatedly petrifies itself and is then wacked with a large hammer, unpetrifying it. Rinse and repeat.

Advisor Quotes: “Stay your blade, for this beast comes to join your cause. His thick hide and deathly gaze shall serve you well. Keep his stomach full and train him accordingly, then unleash him upon those troublesome heroes. . .”

Jan 22, 2012
Imunity to ranged dmg.... so easy to exploit that (wil this game still have old refeect mechanics aka what reflected can't be resisted ?)
How can it function without inteligence :(
Too good stuff for abilities moderate rate with low cost and moderate upkeep ? Gimme whole dungeon of those and i'll rape anyone :/
I like idea of eating allies ]:->
For me blitzer fits his role more as they can more effectively block projectiles then and generally ranged support is hell of a easier target to kill (i discovered america, right ?)
Alternate Pictures

Feb 10, 2012
Imunity to ranged dmg.... so easy to exploit that (wil this game still have old refeect mechanics aka what reflected can't be resisted ?)
How can it function without inteligence :(
Too good stuff for abilities moderate rate with low cost and moderate upkeep ? Gimme whole dungeon of those and i'll rape anyone :/
I like idea of eating allies ]:->
For me blitzer fits his role more as they can more effectively block projectiles then and generally ranged support is hell of a easier target to kill (i discovered america, right ?)
Alternate Pictures
-blitzer wont work, it's too slow. its more of up in your face with other guys behind it.
-yes the ranged immunity is sweet but by "exploited" do you mean "used"? i agree it's pretty damn powerful of an ability but i've seen a lot of creatures get critized for being "overpowered". the spells can hit your units as well though so, it's bad for all.
-intelligence reflects its ability to research.. he no can read :(
-hmmm i suppose they are pretty good for a low cost..they do eat a lot though..and seeing as they are lazy i'll make them train slow and raise their pay cause they like the gold :3

Just one thing: Bad Blood should only work if the basilisk actually takes damage. If the enemies have been debuffed so many of their attacks are missing, this ability would occur less.....
i'll have to edit so it's more clear sorry. yes bad blood ONLY works if the basilisk is actually hit ;D

I changed the title of the topic for you.
=D thank you

Jan 22, 2012
THERE IS EDIT BUTTON AS IN ANY FORUM NO NEED TO POST MESSAGES !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

(chills)
Exploited i meant fights in narrow corridors when one posses basilisk and charges into ranged and enjoy a free carnage.
Bile demons used to eat a lot but iirc they had at leasy high/moderate costs
About inteligence i have no intention of arguing but you could just wrote that it does not research instead of saying it has no brain :p

Feb 10, 2012
- i didn't write it had no brain i put n/a. -_-
-and well if there's a basilisk in a narrow corridor don't target it with your ranged units. i could change the immunity to a %, say ranged spells have a 50 or so % chance to be richoted.

I think he's complaining about the triple post...
i replied to everyone cause everyone deserves a reply :p oh wellsauce let's keep things on topic.

Cold_Ankles

Gargoyle
WFTO Backer
Dec 10, 2011
South Australia
The petrifying gaze: Units that have been petrified should shatter both if they die or if they take more than 50% of their total health in damage in one shot. (50% used for example, not actually proposed value)

- i didn't write it had no brain i put n/a. -_-
-and well if there's a basilisk in a narrow corridor don't target it with your ranged units. i could change the immunity to a %, say ranged spells have a 50 or so % chance to be richoted.

i replied to everyone cause everyone deserves a reply :p oh wellsauce let's keep things on topic.
You can make multiple quotes in the same message. I merged the posts this time.

Inlaa

Priestess
Jan 11, 2012
Texas
One big problem I see that I'd like to state:

So, attacking this creature from melee is dangerous, because every attack has a high chance to hurt the attacker. However, attacking it with ranged weapons (once it hits level 6) is ineffective against the creature as well. So, in order to hurt it, you have to use melee weapons, and all melee attacks will hurt your own creatures more than the basilisk, practically. You specifically worded this creature's resistance section to read that anything physical is a bad, bad choice for fighting it.

Okay. So, this means that the ONLY truly effective way for me to fight this creature is with spellcasters, who will probably be a minority of my army, and if any of their attacks count as "ranged" attacks, those may very well bounce off your basilisk's armor as well. So, this limits my methods of harming this creature still, to such a point that it's extreme. This... is not balance.

Remember, when designing creatures, you have to think of what other creatures may be in the game. I'm willing to bet that a MAJORITY of creature attacks are going to be physical. Most creatures won't have uber magic at their disposal. You would probably be best off changing the "bad blood" or the resistances, or perhaps "gem hide." Those are some pretty tough gems, man.

Jan 22, 2012
Pizza for this guy ^

IIRC cultist spotlight had good thing that most of his skills were not projectiles so this can make easier to balance magic vs this current build

Feb 9, 2012
One big problem I see that I'd like to state:

So, attacking this creature from melee is dangerous, because every attack has a high chance to hurt the attacker. However, attacking it with ranged weapons (once it hits level 6) is ineffective against the creature as well. So, in order to hurt it, you have to use melee weapons, and all melee attacks will hurt your own creatures more than the basilisk, practically. You specifically worded this creature's resistance section to read that anything physical is a bad, bad choice for fighting it.

Okay. So, this means that the ONLY truly effective way for me to fight this creature is with spellcasters, who will probably be a minority of my army, and if any of their attacks count as "ranged" attacks, those may very well bounce off your basilisk's armor as well. So, this limits my methods of harming this creature still, to such a point that it's extreme. This... is not balance.

Remember, when designing creatures, you have to think of what other creatures may be in the game. I'm willing to bet that a MAJORITY of creature attacks are going to be physical. Most creatures won't have uber magic at their disposal. You would probably be best off changing the "bad blood" or the resistances, or perhaps "gem hide." Those are some pretty tough gems, man.
There may be a few minor issues but they can be easily fixed.

-Well if the bad blood really seems that over powered there a few things that could fix it easily. The probability could be lowered a bit (it already is less than half), and maybe the damage. And maybe make it so only creatures who deal slashing damage can get poisoned (its kind of hard to cut things with a club).

-He could easily reword the resistance

-the gem hide could only have a probability from like 30-45 of deflecting ranged attacks.

Just some of my thoughts

Feb 10, 2012
darnit, good point pizzaman..
-now that i know slashing is a type of damage, i'll gladly fix bad blood to ONLY proc on creatures using bladed weapons/claws that will actually ccause my poor basilisk to bleed :(
-gem hide is a bit of a pain isnt it? i'll definately make it an under 50 percentage on the deflection. but keep in mind bad blood does low damage and it isnt a 100% chance

Inlaa

Priestess
Jan 11, 2012
Texas
See, with a few edits, I do agree: The creature is definitely a good piece. It just needed those edits.

I think your changes do what's necessary, Dagoth. I'll let others evaluate the rest. Those were my only real concerns.

EDIT: Be sure to make these changes to the original post!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom