• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

[Creature] Blood King

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 4, 2013
Lancashire, UK
Name Blood king/Queen ( king from this point on for convenience) ( Sanguine Lord, something like that )

Preface: inspired in some way by my favourite creature....the Dark angel, now the dark angel fitted the strangely serene and WATER styling of the temple. The sanctuary however being blood based makes it less fitting I feel. So I thought about it and decided while DK was frequently funny the Dark angel was awesome because he wasnt funny, he was super serious and generally a total badass.
Appearance:
8.jpg

( though with some kind of floating crown ) Could only find a female picture but the idea was it could be either anyway. Level 10 form would mutate some kind of bladed arms and spikes, hooks. That kind of thing.
Stats

Health: Medium
Armor: Immune to physical attacks and low level magic, easily reduced to a smear on the floor by strong magic.
Movement Speed: Extreme
Attack strength: Very high.
Attack speed: Medium
Intelligence: Very high.
Construction: Refuses to do work of any kind.
Training Rate: Cannot be trained but gains experience from battle extremely rapidly. And gains XP from sacrifices made in its home sanctuary.
Training Cost: N/A
Wage: Doesn't require pay, but will eventually become angry and finally leave if no sacrifices are made at its home sanctuary.
The stats may sound overpowered but they have to be taken in context with the equally Extreme downsides.

Skills:
Passive: Congeal, A blood king cannot be killed but when "destroyed" will collapse into a pool of blood and *very* slowly make its way back to its home Sanctuary to reform. This will take sacrifices.
Level 1: Blood boil, The blood kings attacks splash nearby enemys with his boiling blood causing minor damage and slowing them. Causes no damage to enemy creatures with an affinity for blood. and does in fact heal them.
Level 2: Siphon, the blood king gains health from any creature killed nearby.
Level 5: Surge, The blood king will explode into a tidal wave of blood becoming immune to all attacks even magic and charge the nearest enemy.
Level 6: Overflow, The Blood king will slowly heal nearby creatures with an affinity for blood.
Level 10: Bloodbath, The blood king will take on a form more suited for combat. This change takes place upon entering combat and reverts upon leaving.
Weaknesses/Resistances:
Slashing: immune
Blunt: Immune
Fire: Medium
Ice: Low
Electric: Low
Poison: low
Dark: Medium
Light: Low
Immune to some low level spells.

Information: The blood king is a minor ( Relatively ) manifestation of a dark god, it is uncontrollable except through possession.

Appearance: Roughly human shaped but made purely of blood. with a crown made of blood floating a couple of inches over his head.
Level 10 appearance: the blood kings arms become large scythe like blades in combat.

Behaviour in Dungeon: Will remain in the sanctuary suspended over the pool, unless a battle is going on. Will rarely go and watch tortures if the torture is sufficiently bloody.

Battle Style: Will attack whatever is nearest and attempt to reduce it to a thin red stain, in as brutal and violent manner as possible. Will not fight enemy's that have no blood ( skeletons )

Jobs: Fuck all. He's probably on benefits.

Loves: Sacrifices, Attention, creatures with an affinity for blood.

Hates: Bloodless creatures, Lack of sacrifices.

Anger reaction: Will causes the blood of all units in its home sanctuary to boil rapidly and explode, stronger creatures can resist this effect, anything below level 5 is boned. Sink into the blood pool and disappear.

Lair: The sanctuary itself is the blood kings lair and there may only be 1 per sanctuary ( or maybe even 1 per dungeon )

Obtainable By: If your sanctuary is of sufficient size, then all sacrifices past a certain point have a small chance to summon a blood king. Though there will need to be a LOT of sacrifices.

Attracted by: Sacrifices.....fucktons of them. AT least 3 cultists in sanctuary at time of sacrifice.

How Introduced: Damned if I know.

Entrance Effect: [OPTIONAL] All the cultists in the sanctuary will start throwing up blood, followed by there skin and physical body's melting into blood and being absorbed into the central pool. The blood king will then rise from the central pool.

Torture: [OPTIONAL] The blood king cannot be tortured. Or imprisoned. Or in fact killed.

Advisor Quotes: [OPTIONAL] A blood king has risen in your sanctuary, truly an auspicious day. Even the dark gods come to serve your cause underlord.

Maybe you could ask if hed do that bit of painting in the west wing youve been putting off. A lovely shade of red would cheer the place up.

Inlaa

Priestess
Jan 11, 2012
Texas
Hm. The big thing to remember is that, if something game-breaking is hard to manage, someone will eventually find a VERY easy way to manage it, or if they can't, then it's just a game of "How good are you at micromanagement?"

I like the idea behind the creature - that is, the themes, the style, the blood, the anger, and the abilities, even the "Congeal" ability (but only if it had a way to be stopped or had a large cooldown). However, the various immunities, the raw damage output, and the hard-to-kill features of the creature in general make it... too much.

Yes, I understand you want to make a creature that is hard to manage but worth the cost. However, that's how Horned Reapers were meant to be in DK1, and people were able to manage good numbers of them quite well if they knew how and use them to obliterate opponents, and they required constant violence to appease them. These blood monarchs will just fall into that category, unless the developers limit the number of them you can have at once.

One thing to remember - and note, this may have changed since last I read this - is that the developers have stated in the past that they want an "Every child is precious" policy for their creatures. Namely, you shouldn't have any throw-away units; they're all balanced with each other by a mixture of combat performance, out-of-combat utility, and needs. Your creature has some distinct needs, but the immunities and combat potential is out the window, and its anger reaction is TOO dangerous on the flip side if 'boil rapidly and explode' means 'okay, they die.'

My suggestion is this: Reward "immunities" to "resistances." Low-level magic immunity is probably fine. Lower the combat capabilities somewhat. High in various (or almost all) categories is fine; extreme in all but health is not. Dampen the anger reactions and the needs somewhat; you don't want to forget to pause your game then come back to a destroyed dungeon because of a single minion. Lastly, remember that vampires may or may not be in WftO, but undead in general will. Perhaps Blood Lords passively increase the potential of undead minions instead?

Most importantly, though, realize that these are just opinions of mine, not ZE LAW. If you like your idea as it is, keep it as it is. I just feel the changes I suggest would work better.

Jan 4, 2013
Lancashire, UK
I like the idea behind the creature - that is, the themes, the style, the blood, the anger, and the abilities, even the "Congeal" ability (but only if it had a way to be stopped or had a large cooldown). However, the various immunities, the raw damage output, and the hard-to-kill features of the creature in general make it... too much.
Its weaknesses lie in that when destroyed it could take a few minutes to reform which isn't going to help if there battering the doors to your heart down. Its damage output is huge but this would be a 1 or 2 at a push requiring whole sanctuarys and many sacrifices each and a couple of reasonable powerful magic wielders could drop it quickly if focused, something like being able to take 3 or 4 normal creatures down with it before the enemy magic wielders slap it back into a bloody pool. On the whole though the damage may be to much. Lowered somewhat.
Yes, I understand you want to make a creature that is hard to manage but worth the cost. However, that's how Horned Reapers were meant to be in DK1, and people were able to manage good numbers of them quite well if they knew how and use them to obliterate opponents, and they required constant violence to appease them. These blood monarchs will just fall into that category, unless the developers limit the number of them you can have at once.
Reapers were more of a pain in the ass than hard to manage. The idea was going for is no control at all. No picking up, no directing, no nothing. It will simply head to a fight, fight until victory or death then return to the sanctuary,
One thing to remember - and note, this may have changed since last I read this - is that the developers have stated in the past that they want an "Every child is precious" policy for their creatures. Namely, you shouldn't have any throw-away units; they're all balanced with each other by a mixture of combat performance, out-of-combat utility, and needs. Your creature has some distinct needs, but the immunities and combat potential is out the window, and its anger reaction is TOO dangerous on the flip side if 'boil rapidly and explode' means 'okay, they die.'
The anger flip out is limited to whatevers in the sanctuary which is never going to be that many things, even then its pretty easy to keep it happy. Battle or sacrifice.
My suggestion is this: Reward "immunities" to "resistances." Low-level magic immunity is probably fine. Lower the combat capabilities somewhat. High in various (or almost all) categories is fine; extreme in all but health is not. Dampen the anger reactions and the needs somewhat; you don't want to forget to pause your game then come back to a destroyed dungeon because of a single minion. Lastly, remember that vampires may or may not be in WftO, but undead in general will. Perhaps Blood Lords passively increase the potential of undead minions instead?
Changed to any creature with an affinity for blood. It isn't meant to be part of the undead, just be an icon of awe for extreme....hemophiles ? Could perhaps affect Blood mages instead. Hmmmm.

Robofish

Necromancer
WFTO Founder
Dec 1, 2012
Surrey, laughing at how rubbish Sussex is.
Its weaknesses lie in that when destroyed it could take a few minutes to reform which isn't going to help if there battering the doors to your heart down. Its damage output is huge but this would be a 1 or 2 at a push requiring whole sanctuarys and many sacrifices each and a couple of reasonable powerful magic wielders could drop it quickly if focused, something like being able to take 3 or 4 normal creatures down with it before the enemy magic wielders slap it back into a bloody pool. On the whole though the damage may be to much. Lowered somewhat.
Firstly, something that doesn't occur until after a creature that is almost impossible to destroy, is destroyed, it isn't really a weakness :p Secondly I don't see how it is a weakness anyway, in fact it's fairly OP. Sure as you say it's out of that one combat, but it's ultimately unkillable, and I don't think anything should be unkillable. Remove it's unkillable nature and it's immunities (high resistance is fine) and my main problems with this OP creature are eliminated.

Reapers were more of a pain in the ass than hard to manage. The idea was going for is no control at all. No picking up, no directing, no nothing. It will simply head to a fight, fight until victory or death then return to the sanctuary,
No control doesn't sound very fun, and if it has to make it's own way to a fight, wont the battle be over before this guy gets there a lot of the time? What's this guy taking up space in my dungeon and demanding sacrifices for anyway :p

The anger flip out is limited to whatevers in the sanctuary which is never going to be that many things, even then its pretty easy to keep it happy. Battle or sacrifice.
If that's the case it's gotta be fairly easy to keep other things out of the room just in case. If there's going to be an OP creature in the game with a horned reaper style anger reaction to watch out for, I want to be both relevant, and yet not game over. If you weren't smart enough o keep your guys out of there when this anger bomb blew up then it is pretty much game over just from this one thing you have limited control over.

Changed to any creature with an affinity for blood. It isn't meant to be part of the undead, just be an icon of awe for extreme....hemophiles ? Could perhaps affect Blood mages instead. Hmmmm.
I kind of imagine it the other way around myself. If a vampire saw a creature made purely of blood, they would declare open season on it :p

All in all I do respect the desire to create a new dark angel. While DK2 may have gone astray with the black knight, the dark angel was a GREAT addition to the game. It was a creature notably more powerful than any other, however it would not single handedly win any large combats, and the number restriction on it (which you have wisely kept) meant that unlike the black knight, you couldn't spam them. An unspamable powerful but non game breaking unit should not necessarily require you to reconstruct your dungeon to appease it, but it does need to stick to some standards as regards not becoming OP. A single creature should not be bale to win/lose you the game no matter how hard it is to handle and keep happy, nor should it magically return to you should you fail to look after it.

To sum up, nice idea, but I think it needs a lot of rebalancing first.

Jan 4, 2013
Lancashire, UK
It can quite easily be taken down in combat with the proper focus and that puts it out of action for quite some time, after which they trash your dungeon. And it cannot single handedly win or lose the game in combat it could take 3 or 4 enemies maybe, any kind of reasonably powerful mage would slap the shit out of it. its easily appeased simply requiring the odd sacrifice and its anger reaction would kill only whats in the sanctuary which will be a setback but not crippling.

Not everything should be simple. Some things need to have moderate consequence or its just boring.

Inlaa

Priestess
Jan 11, 2012
Texas
It can quite easily be taken down in combat with the proper focus and that puts it out of action for quite some time, after which they trash your dungeon. And it cannot single handedly win or lose the game in combat it could take 3 or 4 enemies maybe, any kind of reasonably powerful mage would slap the shit out of it.
One thing: If that's the case, the statistics you provide have to reflect that. I notice you've brought the stats down while keeping them, generally, above average - which I think is fine, considering what sort of concept you have going here. I'm still not sure about this creature being 100% immune to physical attacks.

Let's think of it this way: If I have a level 10 Gnarling (that'd be gnarly) and you have a level 1 ANYTHING, I don't care if my critter is just a Gnarling - he should be able to kill it, generally speaking. I mean, if your creature could outrun and shoot my guy as he chased yours, then I can understand you winning, but if your creature wins by fiat due to being immune to anything my creature does? I don't know. That doesn't seem kosher.

How about instead of immunity, you consider a very high resistance OR a straight-out damage reduction? Think of D&D terms for a moment. Where immunity or resistance remove a % of damage (where immunity is equivalent to 100%), damage reduction reduces all attacks by a certain amount. If I have a creature with damage reduction 10/- (Meaning it reduces 10 damage no matter the source), then anyone hoping to pierce their defenses must deal 11 damage or higher to do any sort of harm to my creature.

I'd say, give your creature a second passive that functions in this way, and word it so that it reads, generally speaking, low level spells and attacks by lower level creatures (especially fast-hitting but low damage ones) will not pierce this defense. Higher level attacks in general, however, will do at least some damage.

Jan 4, 2013
Lancashire, UK
I guess its a difference of idea then, because i dont think everything should be able to kill everything there should be somethings which require a specific counter, in this case. Magic.

Robofish

Necromancer
WFTO Founder
Dec 1, 2012
Surrey, laughing at how rubbish Sussex is.
I guess its a difference of idea then, because i don't think everything should be able to kill everything there should be somethings which require a specific counter, in this case. Magic.
Some of the stronger things can have a counter, I have no problem with that. On the other hand that doesn't mean it should be IMPOSSIBLE to bring down the opponent without specific creatures. Whilst players should be encouraged to keep a diverse group of minions, they should not be forced into a situation where they must have a particular creature in their arsenal.

Kelphy

Warden
WFTO Backer
Jan 13, 2013
Australia
I like this creature personally more if it were a female. A man would be a little boring... Okay maybe I'm just being a perve! >_<

Anyway, yeah good idea. I especially like the idea of when they are destroyed they turn to liquid and slowly go back to your dungeon. It gives them the advantage of not dying, but the disadvantage of it not being able to return to the battle at a fast rate.

I do however disagree with the stats. Yes I know you feel there are downsides but personally I think she's still a little OP still. That's only my opinion, others may disagree! :)

All in all I love your idea and I hope to see it get implemented!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom