• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

[creature] Cave-dweller

Status
Not open for further replies.

Huntress
WFTO Founder
Apr 20, 2012
Worthing, West Sussex
Name Cave-dweller (not final)

Preface Inspired by Gollum and those feral things in both The Descent and Uncharted. I was thinking of things that could be some of your first creatures into the dungeon.

Appearance image:

Stats:

Health: Moderate
Armor: none
Movement Speed: FAST
Attack strength: Moderate
Attack speed: FAST
Intelligence: Low
Construction: moderate
Training Rate: moderate
Training Cost: moderate
Wage: moderate

Skills:
Level 1: Slash - basic melee
Level 3: Pounce - jumps long distance towards enemy, increasing strength of attack
Level 5: Bite - short range melee, high damage, causes bleeding, increases health slightly
Level 8: Cling - clings to back of enemy, scratches and bites causing continuing damage, slowly increases health, will hold on until one is dead, all attacks onto unit during cling affect both clinger and clingee
Level 10: Frenzy, buff - increases speed, health and attack strength for a time

Weaknesses/Resistances: weak to slashing attacks, able to dodge slow attacks.

Information: it's a base level unit, jack of all trades.

Appearance: almost hairless, albino, no clothes apart from a loin cloth, hunched over, spindly, large hands and feet, long sharp nails, jagged teeth.

Behavior in Dungeon: scuttles around in the dark dank parts of your dungeon.

Battle Style: fast Striker

Jobs: not a lot, can do most things except research if forced to.

Loves: the dark, caves etc.

Hates: sunlight, fire.

Anger reaction: sulk, or rage

Lair: a flat rock to lay one

Obtainable By: creature from portal, also possibly neutral

Attracted by: lair.

How Introduced: first discovered in a small enclosed ecosystem within the underworld, level 1.

Entrance Effect: [OPTIONAL] none

Torture: [OPTIONAL] fire and light

Advisor Quotes: [OPTIONAL] oh look, it's one of THOSE things, urgh.

Dec 5, 2012
Poland
I would love to see those try to keep to the walls and shadows as much as possible while going through the dungeon to feed themselves while stopping occasionally and watching passing warlocks with gleaming eyes... @[email protected]

Jan 7, 2012
I like the lwl 8 abbility, but the rest of the creature is kinda boring, like those bloody falmers I ve seen too often...
Why not just the well known tolkienesqe mountain goblins/orcs? They have characteristics and are much more popular
- some wheels dont have to be invented new ;) . I would really enjoy some goblin/orc creatures which doesent look and behave like the hulky, tame WoW orcs...
Anyway- you could spice your unit with some extra jobs/abbilitys up, like feasting on slain enemys for a fast health regeneration, climbing on walls, backstab abbilitys, darksight, or side jobs in the dungeon, like crowding and following stronger creatures, serving as punchbags, cooks, sacrifieces, trap maintenancers, beasts/prisoner caretakers or ambush experts. There are many possibilitys.

Huntress
WFTO Founder
Apr 20, 2012
Worthing, West Sussex
The way I see it, in light of updates made since I made this suggestion, this unit would be an early "beast" type, and therefore would have no jobs.Think of these as one of the first creatures you get in any great quantity. a jack of all trades able to do a bit of scouting, and defend itself, where something like an Oculus cannot, perhaps they could be good allies to the Oculus, bodyguards.. or eyeguards if you will, :D These are the guard dogs of your dungeon, hanging out in the fray outside your main dungeon, and able to alert you to dangers, sticking to the shadows, never revealing themselves or attacking unless a kill is guaranteed, never luring your enemies into your dungeon, like DKs early creatures were liable to do if given the chance.
The idea is that these things are a human offshoot that have been evolving underground for a significant, but not massive, number of generations, and are basically feral humans that have adapted to underground life, so have good night vision, and a certain level of atavism towards a feral, carnivorous creature, with higher than human strength, stronger jaw, sharper teeth, claw-like nails, but not a lot else.
I don't see these as much of a different species to humanity, like Orcs for example, but more like the potential worst a human can be, feral and animal like, no morals, cannibalistic if given the chance or necessity.
We've already got a tolkeinesque goblin/orc character in the Gnarling imho, which is an armour wearer and weapon user, but the Cave-dweller is a different beast all together, naked, it's only weapons are it's nails and teeth. it's only defences are its ability to survive in the dark.

Huntress
WFTO Founder
Apr 20, 2012
Worthing, West Sussex
Never played any Elder Scrolls game... So maybe. Looking on the wiki though, they seem to wear armour and be elves... So not quite. Think more like the descendents from Uncharted.

Eric_shadowblade

Warden
WFTO Founder
Dec 23, 2012
earth
the falmar in skyrim were elves that got forced underground generations of cavern life turned them into the deadly and primative creatures they are now

Sep 18, 2012
With all due respect, i think "moderate" damage lvl and stalker behavior is too much to a starting creature, dont u think?

Just look at the Goblins or Beetles on DK's saga, Goblins, in numbers was strong, but alone they was pretty weak and pretty wussy, by the other hand, Beetles are loyals and can do works, in workshop for example, but it never was a very good desition have a bunch of this like main defense, at least, after mission 1 - 2.

With that in mind, i think than he must be maybie more like a teabag creature (low hp, not much attack speed) it can have high movement speed but a lack on morale will be perfect for this.

Plz guys think on context, he is a basic/starter fighter-type it can't be too powerfull or the game becomes lazy & borring because u don't have any motivation to obtain the next mobs, don't you think?

¡¡¡Bless!!!
(y)(y)

Jan 7, 2012
I like the watchdog mechanic andwould like to have some creatures at the borders of my dungeon to keep out minor threats.
As long as there are enough creatures which are not humanoids (DK2 had too much of them,that rogue looked so damn boooring), im fine with humanoid beasts.

Huntress
WFTO Founder
Apr 20, 2012
Worthing, West Sussex
I know its not exactly the same, but I don't feel the need to have both this and the Gnarling. I like a diverse dungeon and I just think they don't quite stray away from one another enough.
hmm, I'm not sure they are the similar to be honest, other than being scrawny and humanoid.
my cave dweller is definitely a "beast" creature whereas the Gnarling is an "intelligent" creature, which is already about as different as you can get.
Cave dwellers: no weapons, no armour, run around an all fours, scratch and bite enemies, stalk in the dark, works well in a pack.
Gnarling: wears armour and has swords, walks on two feet, attacks head on in, works well in a group.

the only similarity is the fact they are more effective as a group, and I guess the focus on melee, but then that's like saying any 2 creatures that fight better alone and are mostly casters are too similar.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom