• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

[Creature]Doppelgänger

Status
Not open for further replies.
Feb 25, 2013
Glasgow, UK
This was just an idea I had over night regarding a type of creature - thought I'd put it forward anyway just encase it was of interest to anyone, or it is turn out to be at all useful.

Name: Doppelgänger
Description/Preface: The doppelgänger is naturally a shadow like creature, although this side of it's form is often unseen to those of an unfamiliar approach. While in it's natural form it is quite notably frail and in many respects harmless. If allowed to however these creatures will joyfully adopt the form of the nearest creature and bound away to adopt, and learn of, new forms in order to weave intimidation and terror in the name of those whom they serve.

Despite there impressive ability to replicate the appearance of those creatures of which they impersonate it is worth noting that the strength's of such impersonations are not quite as... true to their origins as might be first concluded. This is especially true with the younger doppelgängers who's powers have not truly come to manifest. While these creatures, in their younger years, may not be able to truly utilise the abilities of their form to their fullest they still have access to all ability available to the creature they have taken the form of at the doppelgängers current stage of growth. It is also not unheard of for two, or more, doppelgänger's to attempt out do the other in forms.

If confronted the doppelgänger will adopt the nearest form, most suitable, to it's combatants. In the events that it's foes change or increase the creature must await until its current form is settled enough for change, since it's last form was taken, in order to adopt a new form as required. Any new forms taken may only be one which is within the line of sight of the doppelgänger.

Image:

Just two images I found off google images which demonstrates the form, yet lack of full body as well as the
mischievous intent.

Key Stats
Highlight: Ability to alter it's form
Faction: Underlord
Type: Other
Role: Scout, spy, combat role varies when transformed
Acquired By: Combination of Lair, Archive and at least 8 creatures and (possibly) the spell (equivalent)
of sight of evil/ true sight researched.
Basic Attack: Varies with form
Offensive Power: Varies with form.
Defensive Power: Varies with form
Resistances: Varies with form.
Movement: Varies with form
Work: It will imitate the work of the creature it is currently impersonating, this will only have the efficiency as according to it's level as shown under skills. This is often rare however as they quickly become bored and loose focus, until something else catch their eye.
Entertainment:
- Adopting a variety of forms of creatures amongst your dungeon and intimidate smaller creatures by adopting larger forms.
- As well as exploring around the areas with, and without, your dungeon in order to find new forms in which to torment in.
Special Needs: Sleep, new creatures to take the form of.
Upgrades: N/A

Abilities

Level 2: A doppelgänger can attempt to blend in with an opponents monsters by being on a tile of that opponents control and adopting the form of one of the opponents creatures/heroes.
When possessing a doppelgänger the player many control, through ability, to adopt an allied form of foreign form.
- If an allied form is chosen this means that no matter where you adopt the form it will always be under you colour and will be attacked by other hostile factions.
- If a foreign form is chosen, as entailed by the level 2 skill, the doppelgänger can attempt to blend in with other hostile creatures

Trait/Trait Advancement
  • Level 1: Cool down of transformation starts at 15 seconds.
  • Level 1: All impersonations of creatures do ¼ of the damage/effectiveness of the creatures spells/attacks which it is impersonating.
  • Level 4: All impersonations of creatures do ½ of the damage/effectiveness of the creatures spells/attacks which it is impersonating.
  • Level 5: Cool down of transformation is dropped to 10 seconds.
  • Level 7: All impersonations of creatures do ¾ of the damage/effectiveness of the creatures spells/attacks which it is impersonating.
  • Level 9: All impersonations of creatures do the full value of the damage/effectiveness of the creatures spells/attacks which it is impersonating.
Transformation Summary
  • Due its frailty in its natural form this creature has no natural attack unless another form is adopted.
  • While in its natural form it can float, to varying degrees of height.
  • Despite their form doppelgänger's are quite notably cowardly and mischievous and so may very well run from battle if they believe they are unlikely to win, at the same time adopting the fast form in which to run.
  • 10-15 second cool down between transformations, this timer starts either when a new form has been adopted or the previous form was disrupted as show at the last point.
  • Many only assume the form of a creature in it's line of sight.
  • All ability's are handicapped, at stages of levelling as shown above.
  • The level of doppelgänger determines the level of ability it can access. For example a level 4 doppelgänger would adopt the same abilities available to a level 4 cultist if it took its form, all such ability's effectiveness and work abilities within the dungeon would be halved as per it's level.
  • If camouflaged under hostile colours allied creatures, and other creatures/heroes hostile that the faction it is camouflaged under, will attack the doppelgänger.
  • If exploring an opponents realm a doppelgänger will automatically assume it's colours in order to remain undetected.
  • Friendly doppelgängers will have a sickly black aura permiating from them, viewable to only the keeper who owns them.
  • A doppelgänger's form can be disrupted through a spell of clarity(some sort of clarity spell equivalent
    available to them) of an inquisitor or by a true sight/sight of evil (again an equivalent) spell by a hostile keeper, allied sights of evil/true sight will not disrupt the doppelgänger's form.
Flavour
Likes: Adopting new forms, exploring and intimidating weaker creatures with its larger/more imposing forms.
Dislikes: An inability to; acquire new forms and explore (or re-explore)
Behaviour: Adopting a variety of forms of creatures amongst your dungeon and intimidate smaller creatures by adopting larger forms and occasionally attack them if they appears weaker and not scared.
Anger Reaction: Will adopt a variety of forms and either attack creatures or steal gold.

As always any thoughts or opinions on it are appreciated.

Cultist Joris

Ember Demon
WFTO Founder
Dec 30, 2012
Belgium

Just two images I found off google images which demonstrates the form, yet lack of full body as well as the
mischievous intent.
Your Doppelgänger looks like Haunter... :p
Anyway, we already have the SPIRIT as 'ghostly' scout...
Simburgur or some other guy at the livestream said:
Later you’ll be able to get units called SPIRITS it’s one of the many things you can do by recycling units, one of the ways you can get rid of a unit is turning it into this invulnerable scout unit that can’t really do much it can float through doors and defenses and stuff. There’s a scouting spell which will be slightly different from the previous games for reasons we won’t go into yet, it’s going to be a lot more valuable than the last game. Building your dungeon requires real choices so it would be more valuable that DK.

Feb 25, 2013
Glasgow, UK
Your Doppelgänger looks like Haunter...

Anyway, we already have the SPIRIT as 'ghostly' scout...
Wasn't aware of that so thanks for the heads up, idea was more for something with a kind of jack of all trades, master of nothing appeal well as some similarity to the rogue of DK2 (if somewhat improved and more valuable if it went and died on you), who'd hover over the ground if you were trying to scout anyone else's dungeon - as I think you'll agree hardly inconspicous.

Hey Artic

please use the creature Template found in the Community FAQ (credits to Noontide) : https://subterraneangames.com/threa...n-guidelines-templates-guide.2488/#post-23092

please change your suggestion accordingly , i will add it then
I've edited it as according to it, hopefully I've not missed anything out, aside from the transformation summary which I think is kind of needed to understand how I've chosen think of it, in my writing madness - and better way to combat creative (sort-of) madness than with a summary.

Jan 3, 2013
I'd change it to an ability for a creature and rework this concept completely. The idea of Doppelganger is to create a shadow copy of already existing creature ( aka host ), not adopt someone's ability and skillset. Also this concept of Doppelganger will be too complex both for devs and player and the variety of forms in game it can adopt shall be too large to manage.

Dec 25, 2012
Seems like a waste of a creature slot, since if I want a certain creature, I'd rather have that actual creature instead of a creature that turns into a different one. It's the same problem with transforming characters in fighting games - it's easier and more effective to just pick the character you want to be.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom