• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

[Creature/Empire] Armorian or Guardians - Empire side of the "Gargoyle"

Status
Not open for further replies.

ohmai

Templar
WFTO Founder
Dec 23, 2012
This suggestion pertains to a unit on the empire (good guy) side that might correspond similarly to the Gargoyle that was introduced. Both units are actually idea A and idea B of the same type of unit, they function nearly the same way. Defending the empire's treasury and gold. Both to me needs terribly more refinement and is just an initial idea as of now. Wondering what you guys think about it?

============================================================

Unit Ver 1
Name: Armorian (?) Suit of Armor etc. (I'm horrid with names)

Preface:
Aside from the shorter preface I gave on the above, this version of the idea was inspired by medieval castle suits of armor. It's a classic image that's burned through our mind when we think of stoic guardians. There's plenty of movies and what not with this stoic armory springing to life at times of need. I thought this would be a nice classic substitute on the empire side in terms of having a "gargoyle" like creature of their own.

Appearance image:

Stats:
Health: medium-high
Armor: medium-high
Movement Speed: slow
Attack strength: medium-high
Attack speed: medium
Intelligence: low-medium
Construction: not effective at all
Training Rate: -
Training Cost: -
I'm thinking these defenders don't train but only gains strength through battles or when the empire's treasury fills, they also grow stronger. (I was tempted to say greed, but do the empires even have greed? Those do-gooders *shakes head*)
Wage: high, since they love gold and require no sleep nor food.

Skills:
Lvl 1 - Blade - Single blade attack
Lvl 2 - Metalize
Perhaps like the suggestion given in the Gargoyle thread -- when the unit hits 10% health, it returns to its original stoic state and take 90% reduced damage. Regenerating slowly and increasing in regenerative speed with time. Slapping these would cause them to crumble, Dwarven miners would need to drag them back to their respective stands/positions within the treasury to regain their health.
Lvl 5 - Dual Blade
They're able to command 2 blades hence a faster attacking speed.
Lvl 7 - We Are Awakened
A fear ability that triggers only when enemies are near treasury. It spreads uncertainty to attackers and increases flee rate of flee foes.
Lvl ? - Honor Bound
I'm not sure how this would work, if this even makes sense on a higher level or just in general. Basically, they can't be tortured into changing sides since I would think a Gargoyle would dislike interference in terms of who guards the treasury. So I believe if the heart of the empire is wiped out they just crumble and cease to exist. They only guard the empire's treasury and are unable to change sides. If this only applies to a higher level, then perhaps setting it on Level 10.

Weaknesses/Resistances:
Stong:
Slashing
Blunt
Poison
Dark
Weak:
Fire
Ice
Electric
Light

Information:
These creatures are perhaps one of the darker units from the empire. Seeing they are spirits or souls inhibiting metal shells. What exactly propels them or how they come about is unknown to most of the empire. All they know is that his thirst to defend the prosperity of your dungeon is strong.
These creatures need no sleep or food, they only need that promise of honor and duty to guard your treasuries.

Appearance:
The appearance image is a random image I found via google. I would suggest however making them completely made of 1 type of metal. So there's not too much color variation. Gives them a more stoic look. Maybe their armor gets more intricate or worn out as the unit goes through more battles, something to indicate experience and time.
Perhaps initially they have a shield and smaller sword but once its able to command dual blades, the shield gets replaced with a second sword. Making them a lot more menacing looking.
I'd say keep grills on their helmet which is pitch black when stoic, but have a blue or more passive color glowing when it "springs to life".

Behavior in Dungeon:
When idle the creature simply stays in the position it chose to guard. Mostly they keep to themselves or are individuals, not really interacting with any other creature. I see them working as decor most of the time and only moves when a battle is approaching.

Battle Style:
Tank/Defender, they mostly guard treasury so I'd say they might only spring to life if the opposition was near the treasury by how many tiles or distance. If not they're usually contented to remain at their place.

Jobs: Guarding Treasury

Loves: Gold

Hates: Gargoyles, other creatures meddling too long around the treasuries.

Anger reaction: Abandon the dungeon. I would think whatever is inhibiting their metal body simply leaves causing the entire suit to crumble and fall.

Lair: I'm not even sure this unit needs a lair seeing the Gargoyles themselves doesn't need sleep? But if there's a lair, I'd think a podium of some sorts.

Obtainable By: Obtainable by a temple, unsure at this point.

Attracted by: Treasury, you'd need to have a significantly large one for them to even feel like there's a need for their service.

How Introduced:
If this is via a temple or a portal, a suit of armor appears, and burst of particle or smoke/gust of wind appears to form a mini tornado around it. Ending with that burst entering through the grills of the helmet, and the suit of armor comes to life.

Torture: I'm unsure if torture can be used on them seeing they're rather unfeeling. But I would think separating their helmets from their bodies is a rather big disrespect as well as taking away their shield/blade. So disrespect is a biggest form of torture for them.

============================================================

Unit Ver 2
Name: Like I said before I am absolutely horrid with names, so I totally don't want to ruin this by posting even any suggestion LOL. But anything that has to do with "Statue" or "Guardian" I'd say works perfect.

Preface:
Truthfully, I can't hide the fact that this is a homage to one of the scariest creatures ever featured on the UK series "Doctor Who". It's inspired by the Weeping Angels, which are a creature that looks like a statue of an angel covering her eyes. It only moves when you're not looking. Creepy shit. I thought that a spin off of these angelic statue guardians would make a good empire based Gargoyle. I'd advise just doing something based on roman/greek statues to avoid any copyright issues, with the idea of them being guardians/angels. A "good" gargoyle.

Appearance image:

Stats: (Similar to the above)

Skills:
Lvl 1 - Melee
If they're holding a sword, I'd say same as the above. If they're completely weaponless, I'd love if they kinda turn freaky looking upon an attack with claws and what not. Start ripping errthang their way…
Lvl 1 - Flight
I would like it if these statues resembled the angels in a way they have wings, so they can actually fly above ground to swoop down and attack the enemy. However the stone fact of their bodies would make them slow fliers.
Lvl 2 - Skin of Stone
(same as Metalize from the above)
Lvl 7 - We Are Awakened
(same as the above)
Lvl ? - Honor Bound**
I might actually take this bit out. Because these statues are less honor related, I'd think that they can be tortured into changing sides.

Weaknesses/Resistances:
Stong:
Slashing
Blunt
Poison
Dark
Weak:
Fire
Ice
Electric
Light

Information:
These guardian statues serve to guard your treasury, this is their one soul purpose -- they have no need for sleep or food. Occasionally when no ones looking, they like to rub gold coins across their stoney faces -- their obsession with gold perhaps stems from how they wish they were made of that instead.
I like to think these guardians have an obsessive personality, so they might be extremely protective over gold. Having them guard your treasuries definitely increases the chance of increasing defense, but it might disturb other creature's paydays. You might have to lock these statues in another room during payday to avoid them from obsessively attacking those who approach gold.

Appearance:
A stone statue, or even marble if you like (although stone seems to fit the theme a lot more). Having wings would be a plus. This statue wouldn't crumble when slapped, but I would think it serves no purpose but causes cracks to appear on its surface. It doesn't respond very well at all to torture or beatings. I think as gold depletes from the empire's treasury, they grow weaker and more desperate. So perhaps long bouts of having no gold in the treasury will cause their bodies to deteriorate.

Behavior in Dungeon:
The creature chooses to spend most of its time alone near your treasury. It will not interact with others and definitely dislikes Gargoyles if meant to work in the same place. In fact they probably would attack on sight. I think occasionally when no ones around, they can be found kneeling and having their faces buried within the gold. If thats even possible game wise.

Battle Style:
Tank/Defender, they mostly guard treasury so I'd say they might only spring to life if the opposition was near the treasury by how many tiles or distance. If not they're usually contented to remain at their place.

Jobs: Guarding Treasury

Loves: Gold

Hates: Gargoyles, other creatures meddling too long around the treasuries.

Anger reaction: These creatures are less likely to leave compared to the first suggestion. They're more likely to attack and retaliate. Since they are rather like undead and do not die, they have little care for life.

Lair: (same as above)

Obtainable By: (same as above).

Attracted by: (same as above)

How Introduced:
If this is via a temple or a portal, it appears through those and just spreads its wings as if trying to stretch out the rigid muscles (lol).

Torture: Constant beatings or hammerings, their stone bodies cracking is something they definitely do not like.

ohmai

Templar
WFTO Founder
Dec 23, 2012
Thanks! I was initial worried about suggesting the suit of armor simply because they seemed similar in appearance next to the Juggernaut -- like a skinnier "little brother"-esque feel. But I'm glad it seems fine :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom