• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

[Creature] Eternal

Status
Not open for further replies.

MeinCookie

Firebreather
Nov 15, 2011
My ideas on the central researcher.

The Eternals were mere mortals once, as is often the tale. The knowledge of what species they came from is lost to time. What is known is that the Eternals were an intellectual elite: wise-men, shamans, alchemists, wizards or elders. What else is known is that they craved immortality with every fibre of their being. There is some speculation that their species was on the brink of utter annihilation, which would explain much, but its purely academic. We can only assume that if this was the case, they failed.

The Eternals found immortality in their frantic search, but the cost was far too high. It drove them insane and left them disfigured and mangled. Toxic compounds and experimental magic scared their visage beyond recognition while they sold their souls piece by piece until they had just enough to comprehend what they had lost.

The Eternals have existed longer than history can recall, but there is an old tale which claimed that when they looked at their reflection after finally attaining their prize, their wails upon realizing their predicament were so horrific that their mouths had to be stitched shut. Whether or not it is accurate is unknown because they wear cold impassive masks over their faces, but it is true they never speak.

When they 'die' there is a banshee-like scream and a flash of light in which they vanish from the field of battle. The magic of their curse protects them from all forms of death.

Health: Low
Attack: Medium-High
Armour: Low
Speed: Medium-High
Accuracy: High
Intelligence: High
Training Rate: High
Training Cost: Above Average
Recovery Rate: Medium
Creature Wage: Medium-High

Creature Type
Support/Researcher

Prospective Spells
Level 1 - Melee
Level 1 - Unholy Projectile
Summons a projectile of pure dark energy and sends it careening wildly towards foes. This does straight magic damage, not fussing around with all that elemental business.
Level 4 - Heal
Restores health to a designated allied creature, self or other, within its range limit. This isn't as powerful as most heroic equivalents, but it recharges more quickly.
Level 6 - Sight (Passive)
Allows the wielder to observe and engage enemy creatures using Invisibility.
Level 8 - Tears Eterne
The Eternal lays the palms of his hands across the eyeslots of his mask. When they come away, they are stained black. He thrusts out with these hands in a shockwave. This is a rarely used melee attack which instantly stuns a single enemy, but also sends the warlock into retreat running for the dungeon. It has a very long cooldown, and is only used if the Eternal is on very low health and then engaged in melee attack.
Level 10 - Silence of the Eternals
A sound wave higher than human hearing overpowers all other noise in the area and pushes creatures away. All other sounds are literally all-but drowned out by... silence. It also lowers magic resistance for all creatures caught in it, allied or enemy. This doesn't stack.

Behavior in Dungeon
Eternals ignore all other creatures, spend most of their time researching. They still eat and sleep. If instructed they will train. They forsake any kind of prayer, and curse the powers that be for their affliction.

When they eat, they pick up their prey which wither and die in their hands as they magically absorb its energy. They simply don't bother with the mechanical aspects of eating. This is part of the inspiration for the unconfirmable myth they had their mouths sealed.

Alternative Names
  • The Tears of Eternity
  • The Forsaken
Quotes

"Ahhh, Congratulations are in order. You have attracted you're first Eternal. Excellent support and researchers, one and all. For all their aloof unholier-than-thou exterior, they are actually quite warm and fuzzy inside, I'm sure. Then again, perhaps not."

"Won't anybody give a sad, disfigured elder crippled by an eternity of guilt, regret and self-loathing a small hug? Excellent, no sickening mercy to be found around here then."

"True immortality isn't all its cracked up to be. If it was nobody would still bother with vampirism, would they?."

MeinCookie

Firebreather
Nov 15, 2011
It sounded good for a high tier spell and it sounded appropriate, so I just chucked it down in case I wanted to use it later ;) .

EDIT 1 ~ Word of Power equivalent added.

EDIT 2 ~ Quotes added, Behavior in Dungeon added. Tears Eterne fleshed out.

I'm ready to start addressing balance and that stuff now, so feel free to suggest spells you feel its missing or to point out what you don't think belongs or needs to be reworked. I would like to throw in a powerful fireball spell somewhere just for old times sake.

Input on backstory and appearance are also open.

Co0kieL0rd

Bafu
WFTO Backer
Jan 29, 2012
This is my first post in this forum. I couldn't find any introduction thread so I'll do a short one here:
My name's Robert and I first played Dungeon Keeper at the age of 8 or 9. Until today (I'm 21 now), DK2 remains the game I played for the longest time above all others. For the last years, it has become a small dream of mine to contribute to the development of a worthy and affectionately designed successor to this marvellous game. I hope that I found it in War for the Overworld.

But now to your creature suggestion, MeinCookie, as I actually think this would be a convenient and original replacement for the warlock. It's rather more than that by having a unique and interesting background. It could use some work on the spell names and the design but I'm generally fond of this idea.

Nov 10, 2011
The Netherlands
This is my first post in this forum. I couldn't find any introduction thread so I'll do a short one here:
My name's Robert and I first played Dungeon Keeper at the age of 8 or 9. Until today (I'm 21 now), DK2 remains the game I played for the longest time above all others. For the last years, it has become a small dream of mine to contribute to the development of a worthy and affectionately designed successor to this marvellous game. I hope that I found it in War for the Overworld.
It's over here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom