• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

[Creature] Ghoul

Status
Not open for further replies.

Notorious_BLT

Bloodling
WFTO Backer
Nov 7, 2012
Name
Ghoul

Preface
My basic idea for the Ghoul is a melee unit with low to moderate defense and attack that gets faster and more dangerous the lower its enemies health gets making it an effective chasing and mop-up unit. Later on the Ghoul gains the ability to heal a small amount in combat as he rips chunks of flesh out of his enemies to devour on the spot. Out of combat the Ghoul assists Blood Imps in dragging corpses back to the graveyard (or whatever its name will end up being). It also heals rapidly outside combat while standing on corpses allowing it to recover and quickly be ready to fight again.

*The following is not a core Ghoul mechanic, just and idea for it I felt should be shared*
Another idea I had for the Ghoul is that it can also speed up the generation of skeletal undead by stripping the flesh from the bones of corpses in the graveyard. However, this will only work if STG decide to have skeletal undead generate from corpses rather than starving prisoners or some other method so it's really just a side idea and not core to the Ghoul. Alternatively the Ghouls dig out graves with their clawed hands to stuff corpses into to "ripen," which accelerates the generation of other, non-skeletal, undead.

Appearance image:

Stats: (Remember: Avoid using numbers for statistics. Use general terms, such as "low", "very low", or "high".)

Health: Moderate
Armor: Low
Movement Speed: Average speed (increases depending on how damaged nearby enemies are)
Attack strength: Moderate attack damage (increases depending on how damaged nearby enemies are)
Attack speed: Low to moderate (increases depending on how damaged nearby enemies are)
Intelligence: Bad (Eats brains, doesn't use them)
Construction: Bad
Training Rate: Moderate
Training Cost: moderate
Wage: Low if enough food (corpses) are present
Gender: Either, but all male would likely be easier to model.

Skills:
Level 1: Tooth & Claw (melee attack)

Level 2: Blood Frenzy : The Ghoul gains bonus damage, attack speed, and movement speed when injured enemies are nearby. These bonuses are increased further based on how much health the enemies are missing. This is based on % of max health.

Level 4: Insatiable Appetite : The Ghoul heals rapidly while feasting on nearby corpses. Only works while out of combat.

Level 7: Feed on the Living : The Ghoul regains a small amount of its health with each melee attack equal to (moderate)% of the damage dealt.

Level 9: Unstoppable Hunger : When the Ghouls current target gets below (low)% health the Ghoul becomes so focused on devouring it that the Ghoul becomes immune to CC for a short time. If the Ghouls target is removed from combat (death or picked up by enemy Underlord) this effect ends immediately. Longish cool down so it can't be used more than once per fight.

Weaknesses/Resistances:
Strong vs:
Blunt
Ice
Electric
Poison
Dark

Weak vs:
Slashing
Fire
Light

Information: The Ghoul starts off primarily as a mop-up unit and later develops into a sticky quick recovery blitzer/semi-tank unit (sticky meaning it's hard for enemy units to run away from). At early levels the Ghoul isn't very good in a straight up fight but is excellent at chasing down and finishing off weakened enemies. At level 7 the Ghoul becomes an effective blitzer able to attack weaker enemies and heal itself through moderate damage while in combat. The Ghouls blitzer capability gets further improved at level 9 where it becomes immune to crowd control for a short time when its current target (likely a squishy ranged attacker) gets low on HP.

The Ghouls utility outside of combat allows it to regenerate quickly with Insatiable Appetite, allowing your Blood Imps to concentrate on excavating new rooms or digging out more gold for your treasure rooms instead of having to bring corpses back to the graveyard. Ghouls also don't need to eat hatchery items or sleep. Instead of eating whatever is in the hatchery Ghouls will feed on any corpses you have in your graveyard.

Appearance: The Ghoul is a feral emaciated looking humanoid undead with pale skin, sharp teeth and claws, and spindly limbs that moves on all fours. Its eyes are small and dark, constantly darting around looking for live prey or a corpse to gorge itself on.

Behavior in Dungeon: (When idle, what does your Unit do? Also has typical behavior, such as things it tends to do and what kind of creatures it hangs out with, and to what types of rooms it goes.) When hungry Ghouls typically make their way to the graveyard if there are corpses to feed on but will settle for whatever is in the hatchery if they have to. When not hungry Ghouls will default to guarding. Ghouls will try to hang out with creatures that are powerful fighters since they tend to hew off the biggest chunks of meat in combat and kill the most enemies. Even though Ghouls don't need to sleep they will go to their lair from time to time to gnaw on a bit of bone they've stolen from the graveyard. When idle the Ghoul will wander your dungeon looking for vermin or rotten scraps of meat to devour.

Battle Style: The Ghoul is an offensive unit that starts off in more of a clean up role and later becomes a powerful blitzer.

Jobs: Guarding is its favored job. It also assists in corpse clean up as described above.

Loves: Being around powerful fighters, standing on corpses (friend or enemy), having a well stocked graveyard.

Hates: Dislikes having to eat from the hatchery. Hates fire creatures (they burn the bodies to ash or just cook them :(), other creatures that eat corpses, and being asked to research or manufacture.

Anger reaction: Initial unhappy reaction is to gorge on corpses in the graveyard or gorge on hatchery items. If left unhappy goes crazy and tries to eat (attacks) the closest fleshy creature. Can be calmed down with enough corpses.

Lair: A pile of half chewed bones and fleshy scraps. When the Ghoul goes to settle down in its lair it walks around in a circle like a dog.

Obtainable By: Attracted to dungeon through your portal.

Attracted by: Graveyard of at least 9 tiles (3x3).

How Introduced: Appears during your first engagement with the Empire during a low to mid tier level. The Empire forces start to run away and Ghouls come out of the darkness to chase them down.

Entrance Effect: [OPTIONAL] A Ghoul creeps out of the darkness of your portal with only its faintly glowing eyes visible. As it emerges from the darkness you see it has a decaying limb in its mouth. The Ghoul leaves a trail of gore all the way to its lair.

Torture: [OPTIONAL] The Ghoul is tied down and a human hand is dangled in front of it like a carrot on a stick.

Advisor Quotes: [OPTIONAL] When first sending Ghouls to chase down your fleeing enemies "Release the hounds MUAH HAHAHAHAAHA!!"

Cultist Joris

Ember Demon
WFTO Founder
Dec 30, 2012
Belgium
Ghouls and zombies look similar yes. Did you read it?

Edit: That came out wrong. I mean did you read the post and still find it to be the same concept as the zombie?
Yes of course ^^ It's just the picture and the fact ghouls reminds me to those bastards from Fallout, wich I used to call zombies... :p

Notorious_BLT

Bloodling
WFTO Backer
Nov 7, 2012
Yes of course ^^ It's just the picture and the fact ghouls reminds me to those bastards from Fallout, wich I used to call zombies... :p
Lol! Okay I gotcha. I reread the Zombie thread and it's a different concept from what I have here. Still a flesh eating undead thing, but very different in its role and behaviors. Or at least I view them as very different.

Adubuu

Blood Imp
WFTO Backer
Jan 6, 2013
I've always preferred the bounding, on-all-fours ghoulish kind of undead to the generic zombies. This suits me well. I think since the game will almost certainly already have skeletons and vampires, zombies would just be "yet another bipedal undead soldier." This has the potential for more visual charm, even if the concept of the unit is very similar in purpose.

Inlaa

Priestess
Jan 11, 2012
Texas
I've always preferred the bounding, on-all-fours ghoulish kind of undead to the generic zombies. This suits me well. I think since the game will almost certainly already have skeletons and vampires, zombies would just be "yet another bipedal undead soldier." This has the potential for more visual charm, even if the concept of the unit is very similar in purpose.
This is pretty much word-for-word my thought. There's so much more LIFE (forgive the pun) in a ghoul than in a zombie. I especially like the chasing-down-enemies-well mechanics. It makes sense that they'd hunt down the weak foes - easy meals, right there!

Notorious_BLT

Bloodling
WFTO Backer
Nov 7, 2012
This is pretty much word-for-word my thought. There's so much more LIFE (forgive the pun) in a ghoul than in a zombie. I especially like the chasing-down-enemies-well mechanics. It makes sense that they'd hunt down the weak foes - easy meals, right there!
Cool, I'm glad you like it :D! For you other folks, what is it about the Ghouls concept that makes it so similar to the zombie for you aside from its appearance?

Jan 7, 2012
Not much, the zombie thread has so many suggestions for undead mechanics in it, you cant really tell any similaritys.
I like your ghoul concept, I would prefer skeletons too, if ghouls would be a replacement for zombies-theyre just too boring.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom