• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

[Creature] Giant Lava Crab

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 26, 2013

Highlight: A powerful ambush creature
Faction: Empire / Neutral
Type: Beast
Role: Melee, blocker, ambush
Acquired By: ?
Basic Attack: Melee, drag
Offensive Power: Strong but slow
Defensive Power: High
Resistances: lava
Movement: fast
Work: Hides in lava waiting to ambush prey
Entertainment: Too busy waiting in ambush
Special Needs: ? (Maybe it has to surface from the lava and breath occasionally)
Upgrades: It's a simple beast

Trait: (Resistant to heat) - This giant crab hides in lava waiting to ambush prey.
(Drag) - Using its giant claw it can pull enemies into the lava.

(Armoured shell) - Its thick shell can take a lot of punishment.
Abilities
level 1 - (Claw attack) - Strong slow melee attack.
level 3 - (lava drag) - An enemy unit is dragged into the lava causing additional damage.
level 7 - (lava splash) - To combat range units the crab smashes its claw into lava sending a jet of molten rock at its prey. This can only be performed in lava and while the crab is on the surface.
Flavour
Appearance: A giant red crab, one large claw, one small claw.
Dislikes: Range units, fire demons
Behaviour: The giant lava crab has one main purpose, hiding in lava waiting to attack anything that gets too close. It will present a considerable barrier to any thing trying to get past, the Lava crab is fiercely territorial.
Additional: This unit is designed to block paths and slow down offensives. They can move about but will tend to look for choke points and then stay there. They are vulnerable to range attacks but thick armour will take a long time to defeat. I was thinking that the fire demon could be its natural enemy which would be interesting as neither can harm one another. Instead the fire demon can sense the submerged crabs and point them out to the under lord. This may cause the crab to find a fresh ambush point.

Medjay

Shadow
WFTO Backer
Aug 23, 2012
Canterbury
I think this is a really neat idea. Just out of interest though, what do they dislike Ember Demons (which I guess is what you mean by fire demons?). Just seems a little odd.

Jun 26, 2013
Ember demons Ta. Sheer frustration. Here are two units on different sides, neither can hurt each other, (the crab has nothing to grab hold of, and the demon can not damage the crab due to the crab being heat resistant). Instead the demon can fly over the crabs ambush point totally unharmed alerting the Underlord of its presence. Nothing the crab can do but move which is difficult for a territorial unit.

Fireeye

Augre
WFTO Backer
Dec 30, 2012
Ze Germany
HIT THE GIANT ENEMY CRAB IN ITS WEAK SPOT FOR MASSIVE DAMAGE!!!111

In any case, I see one major problem with this creature - unless it's a neutral creep/ territory hazard or campaign unit, the fact that it only works in combination with lava stream means that it will - oh the surprise - effectively become unobtainable for the player.

Medjay

Shadow
WFTO Backer
Aug 23, 2012
Canterbury
Well, you could just acquire the creature though your underworld gate, and then as its 'job', it will go out to a lava patch for a while and try and ambush enemies. If it gets hungry or needs sleep or something, it could then come back into your dungeon until it is ready to ambush again.

Fireeye

Augre
WFTO Backer
Dec 30, 2012
Ze Germany
The point is that this creature will a) be useless and would b) probably never appear if the map wouldn't have a lava patch or stream in the first place.

Medjay

Shadow
WFTO Backer
Aug 23, 2012
Canterbury
Not necessary. Hiding in lava could just be their default job. I'm guessing Cake Machine wasn't intending the giant lava crab to exclusively operate in lava. For instance, in DK2, Dark Elves would generally operate around the guard rooms, but it didn't mean they couldn't be used elsewhere when needed.

Jun 26, 2013
In any case, I see one major problem with this creature - unless it's a neutral creep/ territory hazard or campaign unit, the fact that it only works in combination with lava stream means that it will - oh the surprise - effectively become unobtainable for the player.
I see this guy as a neutral unit, and yes I think it probably would be better as something placed in the 1 player campaign. However it is a dirty great big armoured crab so it wouldn't be to hard to develop him. I was playing with the idea of a barrier skill where it digs in to the ground fortifying itself and blocking off a tile. It can not attack whilst it is fortified but it becomes extremely tough to kill/ break through.
The crab could also submerge in water then either it looses the damage done by the lava drag or it simple drowns them, replacing the damage done by lava.

Could make for some fun torture - Nut crackers, giant mallet, pulling legs off???

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom