• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

[Creature] Gorgon

Is it Good or Bad?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 14, 2011
Delaware
Name Gorgon

Stats:

Health: Average
Attack: Above Average
Armour: Above Average
Accuracy: Average
Agility: Above Average
Speed: High
Luck: Low
Recovery Rate: Average
Intelligence: Low
Construction: Low
Training Rate: Low
Training Cost: Above Average
Wage: Above Average

Skills:
Level 1: Melee/Stab
Level 3: Shield Bash*
Level 5: Tail Whip** (AKA I whip my tail back and forth)
Level 7: Battle-hardened (Passive)***
Level 10: Gorgon Gaze****

* The Gorgon bashes an opponent with her shield, causing low damage and a 3 second stun.
Cooldown: 20 seconds

** The Gorgon whips her tail around her in a full circle, doing average damage to all enemy creatures with a small knock-back.
Cooldown: 30 seconds

*** The Gorgon now has a large battlefield presence, allied creatures gain morale while fighting near her, and even cowardly creatures will not flee. Gives all allied creatures who can see her a 15% bonus to attack and armor, while shortening cooldowns by 15%.

**** The Gorgon tears off her helmet, revealing her eyes in their full glory. All enemy creatures within a 5 square radius will turn to stone for 30 seconds, taking low damage every 10 seconds. They will also be more susceptible to blunt weapons (Hammers, shields, etc.). Creatures that die under this effect will remain statues, meaning that they cannot be taken to prisons, graveyards, etc.
Cooldown: 80 seconds

Special Ability: Blood of the Gods
When the Gorgon is killed, a pool of acidic blood spills from her, doing low damage to all creatures except other gorgons. The pool will remain for 60 seconds and will take up four squares of space.

Information: Gorgons are evil, envious, and hideous creatures. For years they lived in caves dotting the coast of the Overworld, feared by villagers and kings alike. Alas, evil cannot reign forever, and a great army was sent to dispatch each and every last Gorgon. Fearing for their lives, the creatures massed in a single large cave, but when the soldiers discovered them, they had nowhere to run. As the Heroes began the indiscriminate slaughter of Gorgons, be they elders or children, the praying began. A pact with the dark gods, sealed in blood, was made, and the Earth roared as a fissure opened beneath them, dragging the Gorgons toward it. Now servants of the Underworld, they help evil as they see fit, using their battlefield prowess and unique physiology to the benefit of their Masters.

Behavior in Dungeon: Gorgons are militaristic creatures, and as such, are extremely loyal and battle hardened. They are excellent at guarding and training, and though serious, will happily stop by the Tavern to drink and laugh with her comrades. Often after a battle or training session, she will immediately head to the Tavern. She cannot stand cowardly or undisciplined creatures, and will not mind giving them a piece of her mind (or her javelin). They are fiercely loyal, and will not submit to torture easily. It will take a lot of torture to convert her.

Battle Style and Tips: Flanker
She is a very strong combatant, and a high level Gorgon can easily take on a small group of enemies. She prefers to get in the thick of the battle, and is immune to all forms of fear. Gorgons are best used with groups of melee creatures, so her Battle-hardened perks can assist her team. They are good leaders for groups, and will often assemble their own entourage of creatures.

Jobs:
Training
Guarding
Drinking
Teasing Cowards

Obtainable By: Creature, Conversion, found as a neutral.

Hates: Cowards, Idleness, Peace

Loves: Fighting, Drinking, Guarding, Training

Anger reaction: Attacks the strongest creature nearby. Only if she beats this creature will she choose to remain in your dungeon, if not, she will leave.

Lair: A small Greek-looking column that she will wrap herself around.

Appearance:
A body and spear like this
With a helmet like this
And a shield like this

How Introduced: Mid-Late Game

Attracted by: Training Room, Guard Room, Tavern

Entrance Effect: A spear is thrown out of the portal, landing right in front of it. She then appears behind it, slithering out.

Torture: Chops her snake hair.

Mentor Quotes: "Don't look Keeper!"

Dec 19, 2011
Auckland/New Zealand
Nom nom nom... I like cookies, needs more cookies :D

I dunno looks a lot like a greek mythology medusa with a snake head and a roman war helmet >.<, why not give it medusa powers, Dungeon Keeper could use something turning stuff to stone (obviously in the game not permanently but still)

Nice pictures, they your artwork or something you found ?

Nov 14, 2011
Delaware
Changed her Level 10 ability to be more Medusa-ee

I knew I shouldn't have included the cookies suggestion in the poll. But at least it hasn't gotten any dislikes.:)

Feb 10, 2012
Nom nom nom... I like cookies, needs more cookies :D

I dunno looks a lot like a greek mythology medusa with a snake head and a roman war helmet >.<, why not give it medusa powers, Dungeon Keeper could use something turning stuff to stone (obviously in the game not permanently but still)

Nice pictures, they your artwork or something you found ?
medusa is a gorgon you silly :p

Feb 10, 2012
i was hoping someone would suggest the gorgon, it's plenty evil to be a creature but it could also just be neuteal. can't imagine heroes wanting it though. Still, it could be a very useful crowd control/stun unit! with quick physical attacks? i just really like the idea of a gorgon. her and minataur belong in dungeons!

Dec 19, 2011
Auckland/New Zealand
medusa is a gorgon you silly :p
:eek: ! Gorgon sounded like something out of the Warcraft fantasy lol, Medusa out of greek mythology as in the maiden with the snakes for hair and the ability to turn those she looks at into statues. I wouldnt have put them together seeing as there are so many different interpretations of fantasy creatures. I mean everywhere I see orcs with green skin and horns coming out of there mouth ?! I mean last I looked Lord of the Rings J R R Tolkien came up with the idea of orcs and they are nothing like what they are depicted to these days :p

Edit: Reading through these articles I have highlighted with red Gorgon and Medusa are both from Greek Mythology but do not appear to be the exact same thing but very similar. Gorgons are said to be immortal as their sister Medusa was not. Medusa was once a Gorgon though. But I mean even Wiki is peoples confirmed interpretations so I cant really say for sure :p

Inlaa

Arcanist
Jan 11, 2012
Texas
MALT.

PUBLIC FORUM. SUGGESTIVE MATERIAL UNWANTED. ENGAGING DIVERSION PROTOCOL.

QUERY: My, isn't this lovely weather?

On topic: The Gorgon. While a 5 foot radius isn't big, being turned into stone and unable to interact with anything in the outside world is. That's pretty much a death sentence in small group confrontations, especially since the enchanted target is still able to be attacked, and even takes extra damage from bludgeoning weapons. So, if you ask me, the level 10 ability needs a nerf hammer taken to it.

I like the creature's concept in general and her basic idea: A medusa-like warrior who harbors hate for the weak. It works well. Her skillset is balanced, if you ask me, except for that level 10 ability which I've already discussed. My one complaint would be that her only below average combat stat is 'Luck'; all other combat stats are average or above. Then again, since they're all 'average', mostly, this means that she's not going to outshine anyone especially, and she doesn't have a lot of uses outside of combat. So, there's not a lot for me to grumble about, and I do like grumbling.

I do find it rather odd that she would be drinking. She seems to me more the type to go praying in a temple, not smacking her tankard against another warrior's. A warrior like her is so dedicated to the cause that imbibing alcohol could even be seen as a breach of honor or duty.

P.S.: Needs cookies.

Nov 14, 2011
Delaware
MALT.
On topic: The Gorgon. While a 5 foot radius isn't big, being turned into stone and unable to interact with anything in the outside world is. That's pretty much a death sentence in small group confrontations, especially since the enchanted target is still able to be attacked, and even takes extra damage from bludgeoning weapons. So, if you ask me, the level 10 ability needs a nerf hammer taken to it.

I like the creature's concept in general and her basic idea: A medusa-like warrior who harbors hate for the weak. It works well.
Her skillset is balanced, if you ask me, except for that level 10 ability which I've already discussed. My one complaint would be that her only below average combat stat is 'Luck'; all other combat stats are average or above. Then again, since they're all 'average', mostly, this means that she's not going to outshine anyone especially, and she doesn't have a lot of uses outside of combat. So, there's not a lot for me to grumble about, and I do like grumbling.

I do find it rather odd that she would be drinking. She seems to me more the type to go praying in a temple, not smacking her tankard against another warrior's. A warrior like her is so dedicated to the cause that imbibing alcohol could even be seen as a breach of honor or duty.

P.S.: Needs cookies.
Nice to see this thread flare up lately, I thought it was dead.:)
Anyway, I do agree that the level 10 is too powerful, but I really would like to incorporate something with the stone glance, hmmm...
Maybe I cut the effect time in half and have it slowly turn creatures to stone, meaning they are slowed significantly, take an initial shock of below average/average damage and if they die under the effect, they turn into statues, meaning you can't use their bodies as sort of a balancer.
I'm a bit disappointed, now that you've pointed it out that she's so, well, average in fights. Now, there are two ways I could go here;
1. Fighter- Basically keep her the way she is, with reduced speed and agility and bump her armor up one rating.
2. Archer/Support- Give her a bow instead of a spear and shield, with a few abilities focused on ranged attacks. Also reduce her armor, health and speed while giving her a bonus to accuracy/luck.
I'm kind of torn between the two and would be grateful for feedback.

Finally, I would like her to have some kind of out of combat role and yes, drinking may not be suitable. I'm pretty sure the Succubus already took the Mistress role of Torture, so that can't be included, and she doesn't seem the reading type. Maybe she acts as a warden to prisons, and abuses the captives for being weak enough to be captured?

Simburgur

Managing Director
Brightrock Games
Nov 10, 2011
Brighton, UK
www.twitter.com
I have deleted five posts from this thread. Please try and be a bit more grown up in future folks.

If you are one of the involved parties and wish to discuss this further, please PM me about it instead of responding here. Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom