• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

[Creature] Grim Reaper

what are your thoughs on this idea?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Feb 9, 2012
Name: Grim Reaper

Appearance image: (for inspiration)
http://th04.deviantart.net/fs70/PRE/i/2010/083/c/3/Some_Muckarounds_by_nunubeh.jpg
http://images2.fanpop.com/image/photos/12000000/Grim-Reaper-the-grim-reaper-12078702-787-873.jpg
http://images2.fanpop.com/image/photos/12000000/Grim-Reaper-the-grim-reaper-12078699-1280-1024.jpg

Stats:

Health: average
Armor: low
Movement Speed: average
Attack strength: average
Attack speed: not too fast
Intelligence: high
Construction: n/a
Training Rate: slowish
Training Cost: moderate
Wage: moderate

Skills:
Level 1: attacks with his scythe dealing both medium slashing damage and low dark damage
Level 4: the reaper shoots a skull shaped energy ball at a target, dealing average dark damage and causing the targets strength to drop 25% for about 10 seconds. average cool down
Level 6: soul steal - the reaper steals 25% of a targets health; the reapers attack and movement speed is also doubled for 15 seconds. moderate cooldown
Level 8: create specter - the reaper can only do this to a creature that has been knocked unconscious; the reaper steals his/her soul and twists it into a demented evil specter. The specters have 2 attacks, a melee attack which is a simple slash move, and a ranged attack which is a dark energy ball; both attacks deal average dark damage. The specters don't have a time limit but they cannot be healed. The reaper stores these specters in his scythe when no fight is present, and releases them when in battle. The reaper can only store 6 specters
level 10: create skeleton: The grim reaper pics a corpse and reanimates it as a skeleton. Only average sized humanoid creatures can be made into skeletons. The skeletons abilities depend on what the creature was before he was killed; for example, if the reaper reanimates an archer, then they will be skeleton archers, a knight would be an armored skeleton, a magic user would be a skeleton with basic spells. The skeletons don't last forever, they do die out after a while .

-the skeletons have both low armor and health, except for the armored ones, they at least have average armor. They also only do average damage

-the skeletons were raised to serve the reaper and kill your enemies. When the skeletons are alive all they will do is either guard your reapers or seek out enemies to kill, you can't command them. A reaper can only have 4 skeletons at a time.

Weaknesses: light damage, blunt damage/Resistances: dark damage, poison damage

Information: The grim reaper is a powerful undead necromancer. He has the abilities to twist souls into demented beings & reanimate fallen enemies as skeleton warriors to do his bidding. Heroes despise him, many have seen their friends souls twisted into evil spirits.

Appearance: The Grim Reaper takes on the appearance of a robed skeleton wielding a scythe.

Behavior in Dungeon: The grim reaper is quite skilled in magic and will research spells and such for you at will, and if no research is to be done he will train. He doesn't require food however he does like to kill the chickens for fun.

-The grim reaper can also help with the graveyard and speed things up a bit.
-He will willingly pray to the dark gods

I'm still trying to come up with more behaviors and suck so I can spice this guy up more. If anyone has suggestions for this feel free to add them.

Battle Style: support

Jobs: research/train

Loves: undead, magic,

Hates: gargoyles, anything good

Anger reaction: leave, vandalize dungeon

Lair: a bone made throne or something along those lines

Obtainable By: graveyard (equivalent)

Attracted by: n/a

How Introduced: hmmm...since he is rather powerful possibly a bit later in the game
Torture: cannot be converted, when he dies he dies

Note: when he dies he is gone forever, he can not be imprisoned

Robofish

Necromancer
WFTO Founder
Dec 1, 2012
Surrey, laughing at how rubbish Sussex is.
Grim Reaper is not a creature I woulld expect to see more than 1 of at any one time, and as a standard creature you would inevitably see them in large numbers from time to time.

Where he to be included in the game I would expect him to be a more capable front line fighter with his iconic scythe. You say he is a bit overpowered, but I don't think these stats and abilities suggest that. -25% health and strength of a high end creature will still leave it with stats above and beyond the ones suggested here. Also the raise dead abilities cant be used till quite late on, and if DK2 is anything to go by, won't win any wars by themselves.

I wouldn't mind a slightly more generic reaper minion based on Death, but not claiming to be THE Grim Reaper.

Gorny1

Bloodling
Dec 14, 2012
Trier, Germany
Make him more powerful and only one at any time should be able to live in your dungeon.
Plus he has to dislike one or some other types of creatures, who can live in your dungeon too, so you have to keep him away from the others. Like the Vampire in DK2 (he hated and attacked mages) or Horny in DK1.

Vargas

Blood Imp
Dec 14, 2012
Stockholm, Stockholms Lan, Sweden
Or like the vampires in Dwarf fortress, heh. They're a horror to have running around lose in your fortress, they'll turn everything into vampires or just slaughter everyone in a feeding frenzy. If everyone becomes infected the only way to feed your dwarfs would be with the seasonal emigration to your fortress; it's a total massacre, horrible bloodshed and the screams... the screams.

*cough* Perhaps his personality should be disagreeable with creatures that lands closer to good then evil?

Gorny1

Bloodling
Dec 14, 2012
Trier, Germany
Well actually the vampires in Dwarf fortress were more like parassites, disguising as normal dwarfs, feeding themselves every now and then on an other dwarf. They don't spread the vampirism, unless their blood get in contact with the water supplies.
And when you can finde the vampires, or detect them in a new emigration wave, you have very powerfull defense-possibilitys. Lock them away in a little room infront of your fortress, with a gate connected to a switch inside the fortress. In times of heavy siege you can release them to massacre the enemy ^^.
And that is more like a DK or WftO thing. Lock him away and release him to massacre the enemy.

Vargas

Blood Imp
Dec 14, 2012
Didn't they spread vampirism to their victims if they did feed enough times? I remember vaguely that Toady One and CO. did mention it in a podcast that if a vampire feed on a victim multiple times and drains them of blood they can 'choose' to spread the disease. Vampires are ridiculously powerful beings: they don't need to breath, no need to eat, no need to sleep and so. I know that there's peoples who did turn their entire fortress into vampires and then flooded the entire complex to protect it from goblins, keas, kobolds and many other creatures. I know of one event where a dwarf did hit a vampire and its blood did splatter down into the well, a event that did lead to an catastrophe where the remaining healthy dwarves was hunted like cattle by the hordes of vampires. Oh, dwarf fortress brings forth the worst in me :p.

Gorny1

Bloodling
Dec 14, 2012
Trier, Germany
The vampires never stop drinking the blood of a victim. They allways kill their meal. So no spread there.
But maybe Toady implements it in future versions, or maybe not... they said so many things in the podcasts ^^.

How to turn your fortress is in fact described in the wiki. :D
But if you do that, you will run out of "food", because the emigration wave will stop by the time your fortress gets marked as evil on the world map. And then your vampires will become really slow.... it's not that practical. So it's more or less "fun" to do that.

Maybe that's enough off topic.
I just like the idea of locking a creature away for defense or offense purpose.

Jun 27, 2012
I'd see the grim reaper more like something as the role of the horned reaper in dungeon keeper 2. Being summoned to kill for you for a period of time.

To me the grim reaper is still more the messenger pretty much though. Just doing his job. Making sure those that die reach the afterlife and not being allowed to actually "kill" on his own. Otherwise he could probably kill all life simply by thinking about it. And what about killing the grim reaper? you cant kill death.

As a creature, perhaps something like "Reaper's chosen" or something similar could be around that would be servants of death, but not death. They could use a scythe and wear black robes, but maybe some armor along with it or a more elaborate outfit.

Badwolf699

Juggernaut
WFTO Founder
Dec 18, 2011
You can't kill death, Making the Grim-Reaper a sort of rare creature who helps you out when you're about to lose for that last minute that make or break lifeline moment.

Spooney

Blood Imp
Dec 18, 2012
I don't like the idea of the Grim Reaper actually fighting. He shows up to claim the soul, he doesn't run in, battle cry, scythe over his head like a warhammer. He should be a support, buff / debuff, unit. Curses enemies, drains a random stat (for X amount of time), and transfers that stat to one of your units. Raises skeletons to protect him while he hurts your foes from range.

Feb 9, 2012
To me the grim reaper is still more the messenger pretty much though. Just doing his job. Making sure those that die reach the afterlife and not being allowed to actually "kill" on his own. Otherwise he could probably kill all life simply by thinking about it. And what about killing the grim reaper? you cant kill death.
The grim reaper is a mythological being, he does not exist; therefore I can do as I please with him. At least I made is attacks related to soul stealing and such.

I don't like the idea of the Grim Reaper actually fighting. He shows up to claim the soul, he doesn't run in, battle cry, scythe over his head like a warhammer. He should be a support, buff / debuff, unit. Curses enemies, drains a random stat (for X amount of time), and transfers that stat to one of your units. Raises skeletons to protect him while he hurts your foes from range.
I categorized his fighting style as support, so that should imply that his scythe will be used as a last resort.

I'd see the grim reaper more like something as the role of the horned reaper in dungeon keeper 2. Being summoned to kill for you for a period of time.
Well I may go in that direction, it seems that all of the comments here are in favor of that. But i don't think he should be summoned by a spell; maybe you can get him by finding some rare secret temple or something and by making a certain sacrifice you can get him, but only once.

Spooney

Blood Imp
Dec 18, 2012
I categorized his fighting style as support, so that should imply that his scythe will be used as a last resort.
Support implies many things. He could support your minions by doing what he should do (what you wrote; necromancy, (de)buffs, and ranged attacks), as well as "support" them by screaming and running in, swinging his scythe like a crazy man, taking the attention off everyone else.

Anyway, I was just saying I agreed with how you suggested him, and wouldn't support it any other way.

I always loved the Grim Reaper in Dungeon Keeper and especially his "hard to handle nature" I think this is a great idea and love that someone is finally making another build your own evil dungeon game. Its awesome what I've seen so far, keep up the great work!!! :D

Vargas

Blood Imp
Dec 14, 2012
I always felt like using the grim reaper as a last resort just because he's so unaccommodating behaviour as a unit. Too moody and violent to be even let near others - everything riles him to say the least. But that's how he should be and I wouldn't like to see him any other way :p. To manage him effectively is a challenge and very fun, also rewarding, when you unleashes him on the right spot.

Spooney

Blood Imp
Dec 18, 2012
I always loved the Grim Reaper in Dungeon Keeper and especially his "hard to handle nature" I think this is a great idea and love that someone is finally making another build your own evil dungeon game. Its awesome what I've seen so far, keep up the great work!!! :D
You mean Horny? IIRC, there was no reaper in DK, though it's been a while so maybe I'm just forgetting. :p

Robofish

Necromancer
WFTO Founder
Dec 1, 2012
Surrey, laughing at how rubbish Sussex is.
Actually while there are similarities, I think there's a fairly huge difference between the 2, so it's only right to make sure we distinguish them. That is the reason I'm fairly opposed to this suggestion.

Horny was a demon who seemingly loved a good bloodbath. The grim reaper is classically an entirely neutral being with no interest in taking sides in a conflict, he just does his job and that is the way of things. I also imagine him as a being of far powerful to really make a good fit for this game, that is why I suggested having some new kind of reaper like creature, who is different to the grim reaper, though obviously we cannot use Horny again unless we want this project shut down on day 1.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom