• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

[creature] Hydra

Status
Not open for further replies.
Feb 9, 2012
Name: Hydra

Appearance images for inspiration, not to scale)
http://fc03.deviantart.net/fs41/f/2009/054/b/1/6_Headed_Hydra_by_moonscream.jpg

http://fc03.deviantart.net/fs44/f/2009/109/e/9/The_Legendary_Hydra_by_WyvernFlames.jpg

http://fc06.deviantart.net/fs45/f/2009/121/6/6/Hydra_by_Ruth_Tay.jpg

Stats:

Health: High
Armor: high
Movement Speed: slow-medium
Attack strength:medium-high
Attack speed: medium-fast
Intelligence: does not research
Construction: doesn't manufacture
Training Rate: slow
Training Cost: high
Wage: high

Skills:

Level 1: the hydra bites at its enemies with its 3 heads, it can also bite multiple targets.

Level 5: (deep bites) - the hydra sinks its teeth into its enemy, causing him to bleed all over the place, inflicting constant light damage for about 20 seconds. Moderate cool down

level 8: (Tail Whip) - the Hydra whips creatures with its tail when they come up from behind. The tail whip only does light damage but it knocks creatures back and stuns large/powerful ones. This ability can be done 3 times, but after that the ability must go through a moderate cool down before it can be used again. The cool down is added because i can see this becoming over powered very quickly.

Level 10: (latch ) - one of the Hydras heads will latch onto someone’s neck, and the other two will bite the target a few times. This inflicts heavy damage and has a long cool down time.

Note: the hydra can perform 3 attacks in a row due to its 3 heads. The hydra has to be killed 3 times before it stays dead. When A hydra is killed, it will be stunned for about a minute and it loses a head, when the hydra recovers from this stun, his health will only return to half, and if he loses two heads, his health only regenerates to a quarter of its initial Health; however it can fully recover its HP if it has time to rest or if you apply a heal spell to it. Now once all of the hydras heads are killed the hydra dies for good. You might want to back up a hydra when it loses a head because when it’s stunned it leaves it highly vulnerable. Also the Hydra can only use the latch ability if all of the heads are intact. The heads will regenerate over time or if you apply enough healing power to it; it should be noted that you will have to apply the heal spell to each head. (based on some suggestions by Nazgren)

My original idea for was for the heads to be gone for good if detached but not many were in favor of this.

Imprisoning: To imprison a hydra you have to knock all 3 of its heads unconscious. When a head goes unconscious the hydra is stunned and not all heath is restored once it recovers, the same affect you get when you remove one of its heads. However if the Hydras health is restored to full all heads will restore consciousness.

-In the real myth the Hydra can regrow heads; however that ability could make the Hydra an over powering unit. So this ability will be absent.

special: the Hydras speed is increased in water.

Weaknesses: slashing damage/Resistances: none

Behavior in Dungeon: Hydras are a bit lazy and will not likely train or guard on their own, they will do these tasks if you make them without much fuss. If left idle then the hydra will either roam the dungeon or wade in a large body of water.

-The Hydra likes other water based creatures and will hang around them more often then others. They also like other creatures of similar appearance, like Dragons and Wyverns, and will rather be with them as well.

Battle Style: blocker

Jobs: training, maybe guarding

Obtainable By: portal

Hates: nothing

Loves: water///water based creatures///other serpent like or reptilian creatures; the Hydra may take a liking to creatures like dragons or wyverns.

Anger reaction: vandalize your dungeon///leave dungeon///in some cases kill your creatures if really angry

Lair: a pool of mercy water

Appearance: The hydra is a monstrous serpent like sea creature containing several heads; of course it will have to be shrunken quite a bit to fit your dungeon and also the number of heads should be 3.

How Introduced: Due to it being a powerful creature, it should be found late in the game.

Attracted by: large hatchery and lair.

Entrance Effect: A fountain of mercy water sprays from the portal, and the Hydra climbs out.

Torture: The hydras heads are tied in a very tight and uncomfortable knot. To add more pain and discomfort, its tale is lit on fire.

Note: Hydras are rather fond of water and the amount of water may depend on the number of Hydras you get. This works in a similar way to the dk2 salamander, you would usually get little to no salamanders in levels that had no lava present

Cold_Ankles

Gargoyle
WFTO Backer
Dec 10, 2011
South Australia
I'd just like to point out the differences between Hydra and Scylla. Hydra is a many headed land creature, grows heads when the others are removed. Scylla is a many headed sea creature, grows heads when the others are removed.
If you've seen the Disney movie 'Hercules' the monster he fights to rescue those two kids is the Hydra.

Just saying, but lose the water affinity or make it a scylla. On a less negative/demeaning note: I love this idea.

Feb 9, 2012
I'd just like to point out the differences between Hydra and Scylla. Hydra is a many headed land creature, grows heads when the others are removed. Scylla is a many headed sea creature, grows heads when the others are removed.
If you've seen the Disney movie 'Hercules' the monster he fights to rescue those two kids is the Hydra.

Just saying, but lose the water affinity or make it a scylla. On a less negative/demeaning note: I love this idea.
My idea for the creature is that it isn't completely dependant on water, it needs water to be attracted into your dungeon, it uses water to rest instead of a lair, and it moves faster in water, it likes being around water, but it can function pretty well outside of the water.

Nov 14, 2011
Delaware
Before anyone says anything, please consider capitalizing your words. It really makes a difference and makes your suggestions seem more official. Sorry, that's just kind of a pet peeve of mine. I''m not a grammar nazi.

As for the suggestion itself, there seems to be a bit too much reliance on water. Especially how you have it sleep in water, which is not typically something that wouldn't work. And you're probably going to have to add some abilities, too, so we can actually see what kind of role in a fight the creature would have.

Inlaa

Priestess
Jan 11, 2012
Texas
I have to agree with PumpkinKing. Knowing what abilities it has is important.

Try to follow the Suggestion Format given in one of the stickied threads at the top of the Suggestions Forum. Doing so helps the reader and the developers a lot. (After all, the developers posted it there for a reason.)

Feb 9, 2012
I have to agree with PumpkinKing. Knowing what abilities it has is important.

Try to follow the Suggestion Format given in one of the stickied threads at the top of the Suggestions Forum. Doing so helps the reader and the developers a lot. (After all, the developers posted it there for a reason.)
I have updated it to the suggested format, and I managed to give it some abilities.

Inlaa

Priestess
Jan 11, 2012
Texas
I want to note that there's already been some discussion of fear mechanics. It sounds like your creature's Fear is a passive ability, not an activated one. I think that would be much better as an activated ability that has a high cooldown.

Also, note that we have no news on whether fear mechanics will actually exist or not in the game. Some people like it. Others don't.

Feb 9, 2012
I want to note that there's already been some discussion of fear mechanics. It sounds like your creature's Fear is a passive ability, not an activated one. I think that would be much better as an activated ability that has a high cooldown.

Also, note that we have no news on whether fear mechanics will actually exist or not in the game. Some people like it. Others don't.
I have updated its fear to an activated ability rather than passive, because I can see the passive one being kind of over powering.

Feb 9, 2012
I have decided to give this creature some reworking. I have greatly reduced its dependency on water and made it so it isn't a special unit, you can now get them through the portal. I have also made some other updates here and there.

Let the critical panning begin!!!

Feb 9, 2012
I'd just like to point out the differences between Hydra and Scylla. Hydra is a many headed land creature, grows heads when the others are removed.
I've only seen the Hydra depicted as a land creature a few times; it’s mostly depicted as a sea creature. Also, I don't think it should matter since it doesn't really exist, and I don't want this thread to become a discussion between the Hydra and Scylla.

In most cases I would agree with you, but etymology forbids me in this particular case...
Hydra
...from hydor (gen. hydatos) "water" (see water (n.1));
Hydro-
...before vowels hydr-, comb. form meaning "water," from Gk. hydro-, comb. of hydor "water" (see water (n.1)).
Therefore, simply put, a Hydra is, and can only be, a water dwelling creature. Furthermore, Hydras are not entirely mythical, there are real water dwelling creatures called Hydras.

Nov 10, 2011
The Netherlands
In most cases I would agree with you, but etymology forbids me in this particular case...

Therefore, simply put, a Hydra is, and can only be, a water dwelling creature. Furthermore, Hydras are not entirely mythical, there are real water dwelling creatures called Hydras.
I disagree with this logic. If you take etymology that way, it would forbid a lot of things.

Let's take this example:

Demon
c.1200, from L. daemon "spirit," from Gk. daimon "deity, divine power; lesser god; guiding spirit, tutelary deity"...
Therefore, any demon can only be either a deity/god, or a spirit/ghost.

...yeah, I think about 90% of demons in fiction would have problems with that.

Feb 9, 2012
I disagree with this logic. If you take etymology that way, it would forbid a lot of things.

Let's take this example:

Therefore, any demon can only be either a deity/god, or a spirit/ghost.

...yeah, I think about 90% of demons in fiction would have problems with that.
I think this is rather off topic. I would prefer the comments on my suggestion to pertain to feedback, such as constructive criticism, death threats, got to have death threats.

Inlaa

Priestess
Jan 11, 2012
Texas
I'M GOING TO EAT YOUR HEART YOU FATTY-FAT FATTIE.

Okay, there's your obligatory death threat. I will briefly touch my opinion on whether it should water-based or land-based (without actually entering debate this time). My opinion? Hydras just seem right as amphibious-subterranean creatures, but they can be used as sea creatures or as land creatures as well. If I had to give any arguments for my reasoning, I would start with the body of the hydra. Firstly, we can see that it long, snake like necks, a large and muscular body, a tail that would surely help both with balance and swimming... and legs. Yes, Hydras almost always are depicted with legs.

Fish don't have legs. Whales and dolphins don't have legs. Sea serpents don't have legs. What has legs? Things that walk on land (or the sea floor) have legs. However, the hydra does otherwise have traits that make sense for a water dwelling creature (the tail, often webbed claws on its legs, other such details). So, as I sea it (Punny!), it can really fit in any of the roles, but makes the most sense as a creature that lives both on land and in water.

That aside, let's touch on the suggested creature itself. I think that designing the hydra to be a blocker is a perfectly sensible design decision. I like that. I'm still unsure about fear mechanics for this creature, and we have to wait and see how the developers want them to work anyway. I'm glad that its movement speed is slow outside of water since it otherwise looked like you designed it to be very hard to kill while having very few real weaknesses... Maybe the hydra should be weak to fire or bladed weapons to balance it a bit more?

Also, if you want another death threat, just ask me any time. I'm your friendly neighborhood death threatener.

Feb 9, 2012
Maybe the hydra should be weak to fire or bladed weapons to balance it a bit more?
-Fire weakness added, it would make sense due to its amphibious nature. I also made it dislike being around lava unless in a battle, and it doesn't like fire based creatures.

-I actually had the idea for it to have a weakness to swords and axes but I forgot to add it; this issue shall be fixed right...about...now

Jan 22, 2012
^ Must agree
Weakness toice cause it is reptile/amphibian
Lightning well most living things are weak to it :p
It is hard to ignite something that is slimy/covered in mud :/
Agree with sword/axe stuff only if it is amphibious(frog)
Ok my thought's time

I would love to see hydra archetype as a late game tentacle swap. Generally with Hydra i think we may have 2 concepts
a) Heavy meele brawler capable of holding on it's own vs many opponents
b)Heavy supporty bastard that spits something with height advantage (long necks)

Few points that are common are that it prefers humid surroundings, it is reptile/amphibious

About your concept poison:
Abbilities : Only i see them as boring abbilities :? I would add some poison/ice/water based stuff for them
Behaviour/likes. Well i think hydra could be more of a lone wolf than party animal :/ i mean for your concept it counts already as 3 persons to talk to XD
Appearance: for dk2 portal i think like hydra heads bite portal crystals and pull up body but yous is also fine
If this pass i would love an animation of hydra at shore with it's head chillin' out in water

tl;dr like hydra theme as a water creep. Some small stuff don't like. Biased toward spitting bastard with ice/poison/water affinity XD

Inlaa

Priestess
Jan 11, 2012
Texas
I would like to say that the lightning/ice notes are valid points. My suggestion about a fire weakness actually goes back to the old Greek myth (Hercules fighting the Hydra with fire), but it does not make as much sense as a bolt of lightning given its amphibious nature. I concede.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom