• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

[Creature] Lava Worm

Status
Not open for further replies.

Inlaa

Priestess
Jan 11, 2012
Texas
Lava Worm

Preface: There's not much to say about this creature. It is exactly what it sounds like: A lava worm. Well, okay, it's not MADE of lava, but it can travel through lava and it's related to fire and... and... Oh, shut up.

Anyway, the lava worm idea came about by a combination of someone idly mentioning it as a possibility and me telling myself to try and keep my suggestion less humanoid for this particular category (fire-based). This creature is designed to be a front-and-center melee unit. More details will come below.

Appearance image: (I do not own the rights, so on and so forth; this picture is just an example and we can't use it ourselves.)

Stats:

Health: Above Average
Armor: Very High
Movement Speed: Slow
Attack strength: High
Attack speed: Very Slow
Intelligence: Terrible
Construction: Terrible
Training Rate: Below Average
Training Cost: High
Wage: High

Skills:

Level 1: Bite [Melee - Basic melee attack.]
Level 1: Fiery Aura [Aura - The Lava Worm becomes wreathed in searing flames when entering combat. These flames damage any enemies in melee distance. This ability is an activated one and lasts until it is turned off again. Friendly fire is possible, but other Lava Worms are immune to this.]
Level 2: Rush [Movement - The Lava Worm lurches forward at an enemy with surprising speed, allowing it to engage an opponent faster than usual. It can only be used to charge an enemy. This ability is usable every forty-five seconds.]
Level 4: Fire Breath [Cone Attack - The Lava Worm spews out fire from its maw in a cone, damaging multiple enemies at once. This ability has a cooldown of around fifteen seconds.]
Level 8: Burrow [Self Buff - The Lava Worm burrows into the earth below, out of sight. It stays there for ten seconds, after which it comes back up with 25% of its hit points regenerated. During this time, it cannot be seen or attacked. It will, however, burst out of the ground at the same place it left. If any enemies are standing over this spot, they take damage and are knocked back. This ability has a long cooldown.]

Lava Worms are capable of crossing lava, and indeed do more damage while in lava. However, they are weaker when swimming through water and deal less damage there.

Weaknesses/Resistances: Weak to Dark and Ice, but strong against Fire and Slashing. Generally speaking, the most effective way to kill a Lava Worm is by magic.

Information: Lava worms have been great predators of the subterranean realms for a long time. Usually, they merely chew their way through the earth, content to remain dormant and breed. However, at the scent of fresh meat, these mighty creatures eagerly jolt for the source of the smell, devouring the hapless creature happily. This display of power and ferocity has long made them feared even by Underlords... That is until one of them had the bright idea to tame the beasts.

Lava Worms are frequently raised from youth by powerful Underlords and used as guards, pets, and beasts of war. They are extremely difficult to kill; the flames that wreathe their bodies and their powerful jaws are bad enough, but their armor-like hide makes them all the more dangerous.

Appearance: This large, twelve foot long monstrosity is partly covered by chitinous plates that have an almost rocky texture. Lava-like veins course its body. Hot breath rises from its mouth with every breath it takes. Gently flickering flames follow wherever it passes in the subterranean realm. Its mouth is massive and filled with uneven black teeth, and the creature seems to lack eyes. Two nostrils lie not far from its mouth, and, overall, you should get the feeling that having one of these fall on top of you is going to end badly.

Oh, and when it dies, it crumbles into a pile of smoldering chitin-stone, its flesh reduced to ash. Groovy.

Behavior in Dungeon: Lava Worms are most often found gorging themselves on meat or traversing through lava-filled areas. Being massive beasts, they tend to cause smaller creatures to move out of the way as they travel through the dungeon. They will avoid traveling across water unless they absolutely have to. They tend to ignore other creatures unless they're hungry, in which case they will be quite irritable.

Battle Style: Tank - Lava Worms are best suited to fighting in the front line, which is about as much as their tiny brains can understand anyway, where their fiery aura deals constant damage to their foes.

Jobs:
Exploring.

Loves: Food, food, and more food always please the ravenous Lava Worm. Killing also appeases it, mostly because it likes to eat the corpses (of course, taking its prey prisoner means it doesn't get to eat them). The lava worm does not see any creatures as friends (it does not even understand the concept of 'friend'), but certain demons are comfortable around it. It should also be noted that Lava Worms prefer to live in lairs near lava if at all possible.

Hates: The Lava Worm hates anything that is cold. This includes cold creatures. It will try to eat them. It also hates being without food, and if it doesn't get enough to eat, it will become angry. To see what results from this, look below.

Anger reaction: The Lava Worm will eat your other units. They'll fight back, of course.

Lair: The Lava Worm's home is a "cave" that it wraps itself inside of, like a snake would.

Obtainable By: Creature (Portal)

Attracted by: Big lairs and lots of food make Lava Worms come readily enough.

How Introduced: The Lava Worm is introduced on a map that requires the player to cross bodies of lava without bridges.

Entrance Effect: Fire spews out of the portal in every direction, followed by the Lava Worm.

Torture: It's sprayed with a hose. (Seriously, that would be hilarious!)

Advisor Quotes: You've attracted a Lava Worm, Underlord. There's a lot I could tell you about these creatures: How they yearn for the flesh of hapless heroes, how fire dances around their chitinous bodies, how they belch flame onto unsuspecting adventurers, turning them into bawling, screaming messes before grabbing them between their powerful jaws... But I think it would be so much better for you to experience all this yourself, don't you?

Feb 9, 2012
I had to take my dog to the vet, he has lava worms.

Stupid humor aside...I would like to see a giant lava worm wreaking havoc on those stupid hero invaders, I'll just need to build a big hatchery so it doesn't get all bitchy.

chaoseater

Gargoyle
WFTO Backer
Feb 29, 2012
Milton keynes UK
Really like this always wanted a giant flaming worm :p would be a cool battle with a ice worm :D and it would be nice to see a tank like Creature at the front lines just somthing i would add to it being its a tank like Creature and most tank have alot of AOE spells you could add a fireball that leaves fire on the floor for said secs it dont do much dmg but brings most of the units to it so you other units dont get hit on

Inlaa

Priestess
Jan 11, 2012
Texas
The previously empty "Behavior in Dungeon" field has been filled. A preference for lairs near lava has been added to "Loves."

I don't think a fireball ability fits, Chaos, but you will notice it does have plenty of AoE. In fact, all three of non-standard abilities are AoE, including Burrow; if enemy creatures are standing over the ground where it bursts out of, they're going to take damage.

I might write it so that its melee attack can strike multiple foes, seeing as how it's so huge - say, up to two or three at a time. However, I'm unsure if that's even necessary. This creature is a big, absorbent tank more than a damage dealer, not that its damage is shabby.

Inlaa

Priestess
Jan 11, 2012
Texas
Added an ability to fit the "four combat abilities" setup for most creatures, as noted in the thread about the Juggernaut. Its utility ability is to travel through lava.

Dec 27, 2011
~imagines a lava worm moving it'S way through water~ http://subterraneangames.com/threads/creature-giant-worm.259/
Giant Worm 2.0 :eek: but i like the idea...

... I would rather like to see a worm as a trap, that might sence an enemy walking in the corridor that you placed the trap in... of course you have to choose the direction it will go and a giant worm will eat everything up in front of him in the next XY Tiles in front of it. That might be overpowered and would need some tweaks but it is difficult to balance something without too much information.

Jan 7, 2012
... I would rather like to see a worm as a trap, that might sence an enemy walking in the corridor that you placed the trap in... of course you have to choose the direction it will go and a giant worm will eat everything up in front of him in the next XY Tiles in front of it. That might be overpowered and would need some tweaks but it is difficult to balance something without too much information.

Check out the carnivorus maw, I think thats pretty much what you want.
http://subterraneangames.com/threads/defense-carnivorous-maw.529/

The lawa worm seems to be a nice fire unit, but its desire for food shouldnt be the only thing to keep it calm because its a very powerful unit, maybe it could have a territorial behaviour.
Every living thing which is caught by the worm in an 3x3 area around it´s lair, gets chased and if possible eaten.
That would make it a bit harder to keep these cuties in your dungeon.
It would look really cool if this beasts would leave a (harmless?) trail of fircy glowing slime behind them, while wandering through the corridors.

Jan 7, 2012
Why does it have to do something with combat?
The worm seems to be a real powerhouse in combat and all you have to do to keep him as a pet is to feed him...
I just think thats too cheap, also its a more realistic behaviour for a creature which is just needed for combat than for anything else.

Ben Chandler

Impassibly Cool
WFTO Backer
Jan 23, 2013
Really like this idea! ALOT!

Perhaps more than just being weakened, going through water has the same damage affect as other creatures going through lava!

I really think they fit the underworld really well; I can imagine giant colonies of them swimming around the molten core of the earth.

Jan 3, 2013
I guess you want it be some kind of a substitute to DK2 Salamanders, because that's the only role they could fit in game.

I'd suggest you reconsider it's attributes and role - making it a slow tank with slow attack when it's best at fighting in Lava where majority of your creatures can't stay is not really effective. Not to mention slow movement speed and training rate.

Ben Chandler

Impassibly Cool
WFTO Backer
Jan 23, 2013
I think switch the effects of fire and lava, to be that, water deals damage, whereas fire could even heal them? at similar or better rate than lair.

cos i think their role is pretty good.. also personally i HATED salamanders in DK2, i thought they were boring and a waste of space.

Jan 3, 2013
I think switch the effects of fire and lava, to be that, water deals damage, whereas fire could even heal them? at similar or better rate than lair.

cos i think their role is pretty good.. also personally i HATED salamanders in DK2, i thought they were boring and a waste of space.
Salamander was one of the few creatures who had the fastest training rate. You could get lvl 4 Salamander in no time. Additionally, it could level-up quite quickly thanks to 3 range abilities - making it great at range combat.

Inlaa

Priestess
Jan 11, 2012
Texas
I guess you want it be some kind of a substitute to DK2 Salamanders, because that's the only role they could fit in game.

I'd suggest you reconsider it's attributes and role - making it a slow tank with slow attack when it's best at fighting in Lava where majority of your creatures can't stay is not really effective. Not to mention slow movement speed and training rate.
I would like to make a brief comparison: Giants in the Dungeon Keeper games. They were slow and powerful.

Also, I designed them as such because the Empire's lava-crossing unit, the Juggernaut, is slow and powerful as well. Of course, having a fast version for the Underlords could be good, but... Well, I liked the concept of this massive creature comparable to D&D giant worms.

One thing that could work would be to make the creature gain movement speed when traveling through lava. This would establish its "dominance" over that terrain. Or, instead, maybe it could be "stealthed" while traveling in lava (submerged), making it useful as a powerful ambush unit (in lava). What do you think?

Jan 3, 2013
I would like to make a brief comparison: Giants in the Dungeon Keeper games. They were slow and powerful.

Also, I designed them as such because the Empire's lava-crossing unit, the Juggernaut, is slow and powerful as well. Of course, having a fast version for the Underlords could be good, but... Well, I liked the concept of this massive creature comparable to D&D giant worms.

One thing that could work would be to make the creature gain movement speed when traveling through lava. This would establish its "dominance" over that terrain. Or, instead, maybe it could be "stealthed" while traveling in lava (submerged), making it useful as a powerful ambush unit (in lava). What do you think?
Giants could cross lava, deal heavy, sometimes insane damage, could tank and scary low-level creatures. Out of combat they were great at manufacturing traps and were quite easy to please.

From description of Lava Worm he will be a huge flaming sausage that won't benefit you in any way, other than scouting on lava pool. Training him will take time, he can't be utilized properly on non-lava areas, doesn't contribute your dungeon neither by researching/manufacturing. Not sure it will be a desired creature for any overlord the way it is right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom