• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

[Creature] Minotaur

Status
Not open for further replies.

Roackeru

Blood Imp
WFTO Backer
Dec 3, 2012

Stats: (Remember: Avoid using numbers for statistics. Use general terms, such as "low", "very low", or "high".)

Health: High
Armor: Low (He needs to show his hairy legs/manly pecs)
Movement Speed: Medium
Attack strength: High
Attack speed: Medium
Intelligence: Low
Construction: Medium
Training Rate: Slow
Training Cost: Medium
Wage: Medium

Skills:
Level 1: Melee - Swing Axe [Slashing attack for one enemy]
Level 3: Cleave [AoE cone attack in front, hits up to 3 targets for 1.5x damage, Small cooldown]
Level 5: Charge - [High cooldown, charges at the closest enemy if no enemy is in melee range, Stuns for short time]
Level 6: Decapitation - [Passive, when an enemy in melee range is below 30% life, minotaur has a 20% chance each second to instantly hit said enemy for 4x weapon damage, Effect cannot occur more than once/3 seconds]
Level 7: Taunt - [Passive, target being attacked by minotaur will be forced to attack him, not being able to flee, but can still be picked up by enemy overlord]
Level 9: Mortal Strike - [Strikes the enemy for 2x weapon damage. Affected enemy is debuffed to receive 50% less healing, Medium cooldown]
Level 10: Bladefury [High cooldown, Spins around for 5 seconds dealing 2x weapon damage each second (reduced by attack speed buffs). While spinning he is fixed in place. Won't spin unless 3 or more creatures are around]

Weaknesses/Resistances:
Weaknesses: Piercing Damage, Ranged Attackers, Fire
Resistance: Knock Down

Information: Good melee brawler, provides melee aoe. Gap closer.

Appearance: Typical minotaur look: hooves, hairy legs, horns, axe, bull face

Behavior in Dungeon: Likes to explore a maze like dungeon, hates open dungeons.

Battle Style: Brave melee fighter, will charge anything in range and cleave as often as possible. Might be good to make taunt work with charge well, making him a great peel for enemies attacking your fragile units. Maybe have him automatically attack enemies dressed in red.

Jobs: Training, Guarding, Workshop, Exploration

Loves: Exploration, combat, workshop work

Hates: Fire, he doesn't like his fur on fire. Enemies colored in red.

Anger reaction: Starts decapitating imps for making an open dungeon, he really hates dungeons that aren't built like a maze. 1 square corridors from room to room is acceptable to him. Leaves dungeon after a while.

Lair: The lair could be a throne made of stone.

Obtainable By: Comes through the portal.

Attracted by: Training room, workshop. Having rooms connected by corridors and not being adjacent.

How Introduced: A tutorial like mission that explains the benefits of having separated rooms (chicken won't go all over the pace, researchers won't be bothered, easier to defend and lock).

Entrance Effect: Climbing up the portal using his axe.

Torture: torture by fire.

NaGeL

Priestess
WFTO Founder
Feb 24, 2012
Budapest, Hungary
Welp here is my take on this creature and Roackeru agreed that i can post mine here.

Stats: (Remember: Avoid using numbers for statistics. Use general terms, such as "low", "very low", or "high".)

Health: Very-High
Armor: Very-Low (He has no armor at all.)
Movement Speed: Medium
Attack strength: High
Attack speed: Medium
Intelligence: Low
Construction: Low
Training Rate: Medium
Training Cost: Medium
Wage: Medium

Skills:
Level 1: Melee - punch [With a force of thousands suns], Charge - [High cooldown, charges at the closest enemy with horns if no enemy is in melee range, small knockback]
Level 3: Headbutt [single enemy attack, normal damage, but stuns for medium time, medium cooldown]
Level 5: Taunt - [Passive, target being attacked by minotaur will be forced to attack him, not being able to flee, but can still be picked up by enemy overlord]
Level 6: Earthquake Stomp - [AoE attack, every enemy around Mino takes half damage, and gets stuned fora medium duration, medium cooldown.]
Level 10: Bloodrage - [Mino enters intoa state of rage, 3x of normal damage and any skill used durring rage, short duration , Very long cooldown]

Weaknesses/Resistances:
Weaknesses: Piercing Damage, Ranged Attackers, Fire
Resistance: Knock Down

Information: Good melee brawler, provides melee aoe. Gap closer.

Appearance: Typical minotaur look: 2 Metter tall hairry bull, with ripe muscle, hairy legs with hooves, two loong bull horns which he can attack with. He is unarmed

Behavior in Dungeon: Likes to explore a maze like dungeon, hates open dungeons.

Battle Style: Brave melee fighter, will charge anything in range and cleave as often as possible. Might be good to make taunt work with charge well, making him a great peel for enemies attacking your fragile units. Maybe have him automatically attack enemies dressed in red.

Jobs: Training, Guarding, Exploration

Loves: Exploration, combat, mazes

Hates: Fire, he doesn't like his fur on fire. Enemies colored in red. Having nothing to do.

Anger reaction: Starts decapitating imps out of boredom or starts destroying objects around the dungeon. Leaves dungeon after a while.

Lair: The lair could be a throne made of stone.

Obtainable By: Comes through the portal.

Attracted by: Advanced training room(aka like the pit in DK2)

How Introduced: Along with the Pit equivalent room.

Entrance Effect: Climbing up the portal and unleashing a loud roar.

Torture: torture by fire.

Advisor Quote: Minotaur. The Embodiment of Strength. These beast tear trught metal like acid throught flesh.. with their bare hand. They are very useful in battle, but keep them entratained, unless you want your imps to be riped apart by a bored minotaur.

Robofish

Necromancer
WFTO Founder
Dec 1, 2012
Surrey, laughing at how rubbish Sussex is.
I've always been in favour of a Minotaur creature. In a game where you can dig your dungeon into any labyrinthine shape you wish, he/she seems like a must! I wonder if perhaps he would need something to set him apart from other general melee minions though. Also I would imagine his behaviour to include instinctively knowing if any heroes have ventured into your dungeon and seeking them out (perhaps only individual heroes or stragglers to avoid the annoyance you encountered with fly's, hell hounds, and rogues). I think armour doesn't simply dictate whether a creature is wearing armour either, and I imagine a Minotaur would have a tougher hide than that of a human, so I would think he'd have something closer to medium armour.
I think he should definitely have a charge attack as suggested by Roackeru in his list of attacks.

Fafnir

Blood Imp
WFTO Backer
Dec 4, 2012
Minotaurs pretty much belong to dungeons and WftO is all about the latter - I guess everyone can add two to two here. ;)

The creature on the first picture looks more like a satyr, rather than a minotaur.

will

Bloodling
Dec 6, 2012
Lewes
Minotaurs seem to fit right in but I think they should have a slow yet high damaging attack rather than medium speed.

Shock

Disciple
Dec 7, 2012
Minotaurs seems like a very good fit, as for balance and abilities, well thats the developers job :D However I feel they shouldnt be sluggish/slow creatures.

Inlaa

Priestess
Jan 11, 2012
Texas
Minotaurs seems like a very good fit, as for balance and abilities, well thats the developers job :D However I feel they shouldnt be sluggish/slow creatures.
I'd see them as large, but fast and powerful creatures, too, myself. Perhaps they'd simply be lightly armored and have a "temporary" health pool that lets them fight for <X> amount of time before leaving their battle rage? Such an ability could be a good passive.

EDIT: By lightly armored, I mean "no armor at all," meaning "ow crap dem arrows hurt."

toffeejay

Crackpot
WFTO Founder
Dec 25, 2011
Would like a minotaur out of any Greek mythological creatures - a Centuar as well perhaps?

The only thing is to make sure its actually a minotaur! In MK Armagedeon they claimed Motaro had been changed into a minotaur despite the fact he was the opposite - human head, animal body.

Needs to be either fully human with bulls head or human torso with bull head and legs.

will

Bloodling
Dec 6, 2012
Lewes
Hmm I've always seen minotaurs to be big creatures with huge strength but are rather slow when fighting. Surely it would be better for balancing issues too? A creature which is big, fast movement, fast attack speed with huge strength seems to be too powerful for my liking.

Robofish

Necromancer
WFTO Founder
Dec 1, 2012
I think of the Minotaur as a high end creature. I see him as not necessarily being fast, but at the very least having a charge attack where he lowers his bull head and charges down his opponent.

I also see him as beserker/barbarian like. This means I see him as ignoring whatever damage is being dealt to him so long as he deals some back, despite the fact he may end up being killed in the process. This does not mean he would go down quickly, whether he just has large amount of health, or a bit of armor to represent his tough leathery hide, I think the minotaur should be a tough beast to bring down, and not a glass cannon.

He would ultimately be balanced out by the fact that he would have high upkeep costs, a temper if he is mistreated, no particularly game breaking special abilities, and possibly even rivalry with any creatures that are predominantly red.

I do however imagine there would be at least 1 stronger melee creature. He should be a powerhouse, but not the ultimate creature to attract to your dungeon.

Inlaa

Priestess
Jan 11, 2012
Texas
Hmm I've always seen minotaurs to be big creatures with huge strength but are rather slow when fighting. Surely it would be better for balancing issues too? A creature which is big, fast movement, fast attack speed with huge strength seems to be too powerful for my liking.
Taken at face value and in those terms, most definitely. However, there are ways to make such a creature acceptable.

For instance, you can make the creature easier to kill. This means that not only is it easier to hit (due to size), but also less durable. Now, this would seem to be silly, at first, given how you'd think a Minotaur would be able to take a few hits, so you come up with a "temporary hit point" mechanic.

When I say "temporary hit point," I turn to D&D's version of them, and especially toward the Barbarian class. In short, Barbarians get extra HP for a brief period, but after that time is up, they lose an amount of HP equal to the temporary hit points they gained. This means that if you have 50 HP and gained 20 from raging, and in a fight you lost 40 HP, when the buff ends you now only have 10 HP left. If you lost 60 in the fight instead, then you'd be at -10, which either means "out of the fight" or "downright dead."

I think Minotaur could have a similar mechanic. They'd only have average HP, and due to an utter lack of armor, they'd be terrible damage soakers and would inevitably need to pull out of a fight. However, a rage-like ability could make them stay in the fight for, say, 10 seconds more, but then force them to pull out because the temporary HP has been lost.

There are other ways to make a creature more balanced, too. Damage susceptibility comes up. You can have all the health and healing you want, but if you lack armor or any resistance to magical effects (or, indeed, take extra damage from some spells), then you're still just as boned. A total lack of ranged abilities helps. Weaker activated abilities in general can make up for too-strong stats, if stats are, indeed, too strong, and, finally, coding the AI for the particular unit to behave in blatantly stupid and bloodthirsty manners can help, too. (After all, if your minotaur keeps charging headfirst into a swarm of enemies alone with zero inhibition whatsoever, you're going to come up a few monsters short pretty soon.)

These are just ways that you could make a fast and strong melee combatant work. None of these things are "musts."

Inlaa

Priestess
Jan 11, 2012
Texas
I do however imagine there would be at least 1 stronger melee creature. He should be a powerhouse, but not the ultimate creature to attract to your dungeon.
A note, here, because it's important to understand:

I think Subterranean Games is going for an "every child is precious" policy on creatures, or that was the last I'd heard on the matter when it was discussed on the forum. In other words, there aren't any ultimate creatures to attract. There are creatures of varying abilities and varying strengths, useful in different situations and roles, but they're all just as useful as your other creatures. In other words, you shouldn't see Goblins and Black Knights (as per DK2) and throw away all your Goblins; instead, you'll want to keep whatever creature you can get your hands on because you'll need the manpower.

So, I don't think looking at it in terms of most powerful is accurate. Look at it in terms of "Do the strengths of this creature balance with its own weaknesses and with other creatures?"

Robofish

Necromancer
WFTO Founder
Dec 1, 2012
I like the temporary hit point idea, but I don't think it should be a case of "the Minotaur will go down" but a case of "finish the fight before the Minotaur goes down". By this I mean if his rage ability or whatever gives him the hit points runs down, he is made very vulnerable, for instance the loss of hit points can bring him down to 1 hit point remaining, but not outright kill him in itself. This means you need to get your Minotaur out of there if the battle drags on, but your not watching a walking corpse which in a game where you can become fairly attached to you creatures could be pretty soul destroying and stop you wanting to use minotaur's at all.

Robofish

Necromancer
WFTO Founder
Dec 1, 2012
As much as I appreciate the every child is precious policy, I think it's unrealistic to a certain degree. If every creature is equally good, then no creature is precious. Instead I think it should work in such a way of you only being able to sustain so many of the higher end creatures for one reason or another.

In DK1 and DK2 as you went through the campaign you would slowly come across stronger and stronger creatures. This meant you did grow to love them and appreciate them during their time, but over the course of the game they were inevitably going to become redundant; but they served a great purpose in the early game.

Also you can use the mechanic where you only have access to certain creatures on certain levels both in single and multiplayer. What fun would the horned reaper/Dark Angel have been if they were only as strong as everyone else?

Lord Proteus

Priestess
WFTO Backer
Mar 8, 2013
I fully support the Minotaur appearing in War for the Overworld. Personally, I want to see a healthy number of classical monsters and mythological entities appearing in WfTO. As long as the Minotaur is big, stompy, choppy/smashy and looks like it's supposed to, I'm all for it.

As much as I appreciate the every child is precious policy, I think it's unrealistic to a certain degree. If every creature is equally good, then no creature is precious. Instead I think it should work in such a way of you only being able to sustain so many of the higher end creatures for one reason or another.
I second this. If a Dungeon just gets saturated with only the biggest, strongest monsters, i feel it would lose all it's character. Having a hefty supply of regular minions supported by some rare, powerful and exotic minions seems like the way to go.

Rizual

Disciple
WFTO Backer
May 13, 2013
I do fully agree, Minotaurs just fits right in.
Give him a big mace, hammer, or axe and you got yourself a winner.

(Possibly that it randomizes which weapon the Minotaur has, but perhaps that'd be too much to ask.
Wouldn't be important, as long as it looks like it could do some serious damage!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom