• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

[Creature/Neutral Creature] Fire Crawler

Status
Not open for further replies.

MeinCookie

Dwarven Worker
Nov 15, 2011
A subterranean spider whose legs and underside are filled with flaming liquid which spurts out damaging attackers in melee when they sustain damage. They can also spit out long tongues of fire up to medium range dealing high-damage.
They have an extremely high fire-resistance and can walk across lava, but they borderline on being glass cannons and especially weak to ice. They have minor secondary resistances to Light and Poison.
Most of their lives is lived in repeat anticipation for ranking up to level 9 for one single chance to call in a singularly destructive explosive fire spell which heavily damages everything in close proximity. It can only be called in if ther creature is above 85% health because it does more damage to them, than the allies and enemies around them. It also lowers their level by 3, meaning they have to survive the battle and level up again to use it just once more.
http://farm2.staticflickr.com/1228/1435074698_0b430c8b9d_z.jpg?zz=1

Unit Category: Borderline Glass Cannon, Fire-based/Short-Range
Health: Medium-Low
Attack: Medium-High/High
Armour: Medium
Speed: High
Accuracy: Medium
Intelligence: Low
Training Rate: Fast
Training Cost: Below Average
Recovery Rate: High
Creature Wage: Medium

Prospective Spells
Level 1 - Melee
Standard melee attack.
Level 1 - Splatter [Constant Effect]
Whenever attacked, the creature will release splatters of flaming hot oil which damage those around it in melee range.
Level 3 - Fire Spit
The caster spurts a great long flamethrower-like jet of blazing liquid from its maw, dealing heavy damage to a specific target at short to medium range.
Level 6 - Protect Self
The caster increases its own armour rating significantly for a short amount of time. In this case, the spider's outer shell hardens becoming darker as a visual cue.
Level 9 - Critical Mass :mad:
At this level the spider begins to pulsate, just waiting for the opertunity to deliver its payload. Once it triggers this spell, the caster sets off a apocalyptic firey explosion around itself, allies and enemies alike caught in close range will be heavily damaged. It is very powerful. The spell also does disproportionately heavy damage to the caster, so it can only be called in if the caster is above 85% health. With the firing of this ability, the creatures level actually goes down by 3, meaning that if they do surive the battle they still have a long way to go to be able to call this in again.

Behaviour in Dungeon

Inlaa

Priestess
Jan 11, 2012
Texas
Concerning the image: Perhaps it would be best to make a link to the picture rather than having the picture itself like it is. Arachnophobia IS fairly common. However, as someone who is scared of all sorts of creepy crawlies, including butterflies (seriously), I will say that this picture did not frighten me.

While its level 9 ability certainly seems unique, it also makes me think that you need a fast training rate to offset it. If your creature uses this ability fairly often, would you want it to effectively only be able to use the ability once ever, say, thirty minutes? That's not good for balance. Increase its training rate or change the restrictions of the ability, IMO. (Or, alternatively, change the creature's stats or the ability itself.)

Also, I see another problem with this: You dubbed them as glass cannons and gave them a significant vulnerability and then you made them have an ability that is best used when they are surrounded by enemies. In other words, their 9th level ability requires them to do something that puts them in the worst situation possible, hurting themselves AND any allies around, and, finally, leaves them in such a position that your now 6th level creature is liable to be killed by the opponent, either by a single spell like "Lightning" or by whatever remains of the enemy's forces. Finally, the creature can't even do this if it gets reduced beyond a certain point of health, meaning that if it gets whacked a few times by the enemy while trying to get into the right position to use the ability, it might not be able to do so because it is, as said, a "glass cannon."

This is not a bad idea, but I think you should consider just how restrictive that ability is and how useful it actually is with a creature designed to be vulnerable to enemy attack.

MeinCookie

Dwarven Worker
Nov 15, 2011
Arachnophobiacs beware then! This creature shall be deathly scary to you.
Does this forum have
tags?

Right, make that a borderline glass cannon then. I was actually going to make the Level 9 ability slightly more powerful than I eventually did which is why there is a slight disconnect there.

Health and Armour are more average, Training Rate increased.

I'll add a behavioural and background section when something awesome pops into my head :).

Jan 22, 2012
Well my friend nearly fell off chair when playing skyrim for 1st time because of spiders .....

I think that some sort of leap or web pull would be funnier than armor buff for this critter.

As a neutral creature i would like to see it big strong and without the -3 lvl part on his 9 skill +no torturability (too big) or mini size baneling XD

Nov 14, 2011
Delaware
I will let you know right know that spiders terrify me. I jumped so high when I saw that picture there's a crack in my roof. And it's raining. Give me your information and expect a bill for the damages, Mr. Cookie.

Good day.

Dec 19, 2011
Auckland/New Zealand
Have you ever heard of arachnophobia? That picture of the spider could scare the life out of someone.
HAHA.. Was thinking the same thing.. *bookmarks picture to show my partner >:)* *evil giggles"...
Arachnophobia .. My partner, she cant stand spiders, screams and crys... but she can look at pictures, she doesnt enjoy it, but it doesnt bother her at all ?.. I thought it was more to do with seeing one in real life rather than pictures ?

In that case Fire Ant maybe ???

Bethesda Games - Fallout 3, Fire Ant :)

Dec 19, 2011
Auckland/New Zealand
AAAAHHHHH !!! DIES* X.X .. ANTnaphobia !!! :eek: ... haha im joking.. I think this would still work with the concept, certainly different as well.. Spider is awefully similar to Dungeon Keeper..

MeinCookie

Dwarven Worker
Nov 15, 2011
Ant could also work, but it feels to Fallout-ish to me. Spiders aren't usually associated with fire which is why its more unique to have it as such.

Plus it would be nice to have an arachnid in here somewhere. They are more scary than ants. This is a dungeon.

A Beetle could also work... Fire Beetle... or something else entirely.

Dec 19, 2011
Auckland/New Zealand
Ant could also work, but it feels to Fallout-ish to me. Spiders aren't usually associated with fire which is why its more unique to have it as such.

Plus it would be nice to have an arachnid in here somewhere. They are more scary than ants. This is a dungeon.

Fire Ants are also real living creatures ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fire_ant ), it is very Fallout 3'ish .. Perhaps rename is ? Inferno Ant, Blazer Ant or He who breathes fire Ant ? They cant copy right a real living thing can they ?!.. Fallout 3 it breathed fire.. Perhaps have it throw acid spores which burst into fire on contact ?

Beetles were SOOO annoying in Dungeon Keeper.. *slap slap slap :mad:* !

Fire Grubb ? As in slug ? A giant slug like bug/creature .. Slime covered with flame ducts or glands so can play with fire etc ?

Feb 9, 2012

I agree, a fire spider is a unique concept and spiders are more menacing than ants. I also like that this pays homage to an old classic while at the same time, it adds something new.

Nov 14, 2011
Delaware
If it was going to be anything other than a spider, I would suggest something like a scarab or another insect, but I don't think Arachnids and fire mix very well.
Spiders could probably be a cool unit on their own, without adding fire or other features.

MeinCookie

Dwarven Worker
Nov 15, 2011
On the subject of ants, yes there are real Fire Ants - but ants are still horrid creatures for a dungeon. Despite being the most reknowned insect tunnelers DK1 didn't include them because they are so freakin' harmless. People are scared of spiders, some are scared of beetles - but even Bull Ants aren't that frightening. At least flies manage to look alien with their red compound eyes and wings. Plus, yes, very similar creature in Fallout 3.

Spiders without something unsual like elemental afinity would also be rather boring and old. DK has already done it as such. It wouldn't be paying homage at that point, it would be cloning. I get the feel from the units that WftO is going for a more dynamic/fresh feel? Correct me if you feel I'm wrong but it seems that way to me. They probably aren't going to go and admit your garden-variety oversized monster spider.

I would generally agree with you on the fire score - but the freakiness/funkiness of the above spider picture says contrary. If I saw those creeps swarming across lava toward my dungeon - however - it wouldn't feel so greatly out of place. Bioluminescene does wonders like that.

Scarab could certainly work - except they don't really have a corner on the fast/fragile market. They are big, bulk and well-armoured which doesn't really work for the way I've balanced it - or at all as far as I can see considering the power it would wield with this skillset. Not that it wouldn't look hilarious to see them pulsing to blow up XD.

http://beetlesinthebush.files.wordpress.com/2011/03/img_4374_crp_cln_asf_1200x800_usm.jpg

Inlaa

Priestess
Jan 11, 2012
Texas
THE PICTURE OF THE GIANT BUG IS BAD BAD BAD ACK. NO. CANNOT STAND TO READ THIS. I AM LOOKING AT MY HANDS AS I TYPE. NO MORE. USE LINKS OR SPOILERS OR SOMETHING.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom