• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

Creature / Neutral Hostile - Strigoi

Status
Not open for further replies.

Amon

Ember Demon
Apr 14, 2012
Somewhere
subterraneangames.com
Name: Strigoi
Preface: Since I am unsure of Vampires making it into the game, I felt the need to suggest an alternative.
Appearance image: Here beith the foule beast
Strigoi.jpg

Stats:
Health: Medium
Armor: Below Average
Movement Speed: Below average, but will gain speed as it gains levels
Attack strength: Above Average, except against 'Holy' class armour
Attack speed: Average, but gains ATK speed as it levels up
Intelligence: Above Average
Construction: Low
Training Rate: Average until LVL 6, then Above Average
Training Cost: Abov Average
Wage: Above Average gold cost, but after LVL 3 will start costing a small amount of Blood.
Gender: Assumed to be male, but few are brave enough to ask such a question of the proud and agressive Strigoi. Even fewer survive the experience.

Skills:
  • Maul: The Strigoi uses its cruel talons to tear at enemies. It will also frequently bite them, though this will not affect those with thick hides or armour. Claws 85%, light damage. Bite 15%, average / above average damage. Both deal double damage when enemy is Knocked Down / stunned.
  • Bloodthirst (Passive effect): Adds an effect where damage dealt by the Strigoi is transmuted into Blood. 75% is given to the Strigoi as health, the rest is transfered into it's masters Blood Pool. Gained at LVL 3.
  • Lunge: The Strigoi used it's powerful legs to leap at targets. Has a good chance of knocking down the target (and most other things in between). Deals small damage. Gained at LVL 6. Cooldown 30 sec. Combined with Maul, this has the potential to deal significant damage.
  • Immortality: As powerful as Strigoi are, they aren't truly immortal. They have simply learned to flee whenever the odds are stupidly overwhelming, or when they are on the brink of death. This ability will allow the Strigoi to teleport to their Lair when they are below 5% of health, or when the Threat level of an enemy force exceeds a certain number. To put in DK terms, it would use this if confronted by 8 LVL 10 Horned Reapers. Gained at LVL 10. Cooldown: 2.5 min. Strigoi MUST stay in lair untill fully healed.
Weaknesses/Resistances:The Strigoi, being (officially) Undead, is particularly weak against Holy, and also has a fear of piercing weapons & traps e.g. Spears, Javielins, Spike Traps etc., as the only thing (in folklore) that could completely kill them was being pierced through the heart.

Information: The Strigoi are the troubled dead, rising from their graves, possibly after being possessed by Daemons. However, there are documented cases in the overworld of living Strigoi, although these are unconfirmed. Strigoi are, essentially, Vampires, but on a much more terrifying level. If Vampires are Lords of the Dead, then Strigoi are the dread Princes. This implies, of course, that there are Kings of the dead, but, if there are, then they are unknown. The Strigoi are proud horrors, and quick to wrath. Woe betide the fools who anger them, for the Strigoi rarely forget a slight, and only vast riches of Gold and Blood will be able to calm them.

Appearance: A humanoid in shape, with eyes the colour of molten gold, long arms, and wicked claws on both fingers and toes. Their mouth is a curiosity. When calm, the mouth of the Strigoi are human in structure, but, when angered, or worse, hungry, the teeth rapidly elongate and thin, until their mouth resembles that of a Devil Fish. They are apparently quite pleased with this change, and will frequently show off their monstrous maw to other creatures, in an attempt to terrify them. It frequently succeeds. Its skin is often flushed, unless it has been a while since they fed, in which case it is as sallow as the corpse they reside in.

Behavior in Dungeon: The Strigoi will often patrol your dungeon's gloomy halls, seeking victims. If it spots any enemy, or any fight between your forces, it will leap into battle, slashing and biting through all in it's path. Rarely leaves combatants alive. After LVL 3, will only rarely attack your troops, unless Angry. Will also occasionally head to Torture Chamber, where it will terrify victims. Will stay for too long sometimes, and will become so bloodthirsty that it will attack the tortured. 10% chance of happening.

Battle Style: Berserker (attacked everything with a pulse, and most things that don't) untill LVL 3, then becomes Blitzer. Will often attack the larger targets first, as they have more blood. Has a small chance of killing enemy outright, instead of knocking them out.

Jobs: The Strigoi will eagerly train, and will dabble at Research every once in a while, but will mainly just Wander

Loves: Blood. Gore. Carnage. The Dungeon Heart - will occasionally be seen trying to drink from the Blood Pool

Hates: The Usurper 'Lords of the Undead', that is to say, Vampires, anything with a spear as a weapon. Also sees <insert name of room used to gain blood> as a waste of Blood, and so will attack creatures it witnesses working in there.

Anger reaction: Will go on a highly destructive rampage, slaughtering most creatures in it's path. Will stop to drain carcasses of Blood, and after it has drunk a certain amount of Blood, will calm down. If placed in the Torture Room during rampage, will drain all inside of blood, then consider itself satisfied.

Lair: A grave that has been dug roughly in the ground, with bloodstains around the side. When Strigoi is inside, mist will be emitted and cover the hole.

Obtainable By: Neutral Hostile up to certain point in Campaign, then Creature. In all other modes, Creature from the start. It has a Temple Recipe of Vampire + Bloodling x2

Attracted by: This Creature is attracted by Graveyard 4x4, Torture Chamber 3x3, and requires a certain number of creatures to have been killed by you/your creatures. Players can simply slap the eternally respawning Blood Imps to death numerous times to fulfill this condition

How Introduced: A misty level, with it so thick around your Dungeon that Blood Imps can't go into it. Soon after the mist is discovered, a group of heroes bumble their way out of the mist. They make it about two tiles in before the mist closest to them materializes into two Strigoi, which proceed to slaughter them. They join you, and the mist around your dungeon forms into several Neutral Strigoi, which you can meet and recruit.

Entrance Effect: Mist started to rise out of the Portal, and, several seconds later, a Strigoi leaps out of the Portal, lands, and roars, displaying it's Horror teeth. The mist slowly recedes, and the Strigoi heads off to make a home in the Lair.

Torture: The Strigoi is slowly drained of blood through several medieval methods, such as leeches, only to be fed it immediately after.

Advisor Quotes: Impressive, Keeper. You have spilled enough blood to attract the fearsome Strigoi. These monsters are part Undead, part Daemon, and all bloodthirsty, carnage-seeking Horror. These creatures are terrifying on the battlefield, and an invaluable asset in torture, but be warned. They are proud, and the smallest slight could send them into a frenzy of death and destruction. Train them up enough, however, and they will learn to control their bestial fury... To an extent, of course.

Jan 3, 2013
I'm not sure if game will allow so many abilities for a creature. The idea itself is fine.

5x5 Graveyard is a little overkill to me. Also you should consider slightly different way of attracting creature.
Most creatures can be obtained when certain rooms are build, wich I find a perfect way, not by amount of gold/kills player does have. Others can be obtained directly through graveyard, but they will require a corpse or alternative resource ( parts of bodies, items, objects ).

Blizzard

Necromancer
WFTO Backer
Dec 3, 2011
Behind you
I think five abilities is ok
but obviously im not a dev so I can't say for sure
but if you must take out a ability
make it the short range teleport

Amon

Ember Demon
Apr 14, 2012
Somewhere
subterraneangames.com
I'm not sure if game will allow so many abilities for a creature. The idea itself is fine.

5x5 Graveyard is a little overkill to me. Also you should consider slightly different way of attracting creature.
Most creatures can be obtained when certain rooms are build, wich I find a perfect way, not by amount of gold/kills player does have. Others can be obtained directly through graveyard, but they will require a corpse or alternative resource ( parts of bodies, items, objects ).
I think I have seen an accepted Creature with one less ability, so perhaps I should combine Claw Slash and Bite to form Maul.
5x5 Graveyard does in fact seem a bit big. Maybe 4x4? Will think of alternative ways to attract (any suggestions would be appreciated).

I think five abilities is ok
but obviously im not a dev so I can't say for sure
but if you must take out a ability
make it the short range teleport
Strigoi are known to be able to teleport. However, I realise now that it may break the Game - Not being able to lock a Strigoi in a room, or in Prison, after all, is an unfair advantage...

*Update: Removed Short Range Teleport, Fused Claw Slash and Bite into Maul, moved Lunge from LVL 3 to LVL 6, in order to spread things out.

Amon

Ember Demon
Apr 14, 2012
Somewhere
subterraneangames.com
4x4 is fine.

Any kind of teleport is gamebreaking ( exception is teleport back to a heart ).
The main reason I have the Immortality teleportation is a homage to the original DK1 Vampire. I think I managed to counteract the breaking by removing all ability for it to be spammed - i.e the long cooldown time and the condition that the Stigoi must stay in it's lair until it is at maximum health.

Robofish

Bard
WFTO Founder
Dec 1, 2012
Surrey, laughing at how rubbish Sussex is.
4x4 is fine.

Any kind of teleport is gamebreaking ( exception is teleport back to a heart ).
Why do you say any kind of teleporting is game breaking? As long as the AI isn't programmed to use it to rush straight to the enemy heart or break out of jail, I don't see the problem. I really like the idea of creatures with short range teleport, I think it could really add something to combat.

Jan 3, 2013
Why do you say any kind of teleporting is game breaking? As long as the AI isn't programmed to use it to rush straight to the enemy heart or break out of jail, I don't see the problem. I really like the idea of creatures with short range teleport, I think it could really add something to combat.
If some creatures will be programmed to teleport at short range, aka blink, then creatures should also know how to counter blinkers. Otherwise, your creatures will never kill a blinker.

I don't want to talk about a possessed blinker.

Cultist Joris

Huntress
WFTO Founder
Dec 30, 2012
Belgium
The main problem I have with teleportations is the fact that enemy vampires and mistresses are able to teleport just straight into your heart-room, and there is no way to prevent that! In the final DKI level I had to perma-guard my heart (and for unknown reasons my prison too) because the blue keeper was contantly casting call-to-arms on it...that was very annoying! :mad: (together with instantly killing my imps with lightning, scavenging my vampires and diseasing my dragons at random moments)
But still I beat the blue bastard every time! :)

Amon

Ember Demon
Apr 14, 2012
Somewhere
subterraneangames.com
Well, now that the Dev Team have moved away from the whole 'blood' idea, I guess I will have to rework this a little.
*sob*
I'm so scared. The Strigoi hasn't been fed in a while...

HELP!! IT'S GOT MEEEE.... AARRRRGGGHHHHH

R.I.P​
The Dark Master of Onions​

Tommonius

Necromancer
WFTO Backer
Dec 15, 2012
Wolverhampton
I survived...
But now...
I hunger...
For SOULS!!!
GAH! *raises a cross*

anyway Despite the removal of the blood mechanic we are still promised a Vampire and they can take many forms and shapes and indeed Vampires in many lores do transform and heck they could look like this or turn into it when peeved to show it truely is a monster.

Plus I am beginning to consider we may see some sort of blood room or see Vampires do something with blood to keep them happy after all it is like the main identity of a Vampire even if it is draining enemies of their own blood.

So I could see this working, a more beast like Vampire would be awesome but nor would I be upset if they went for a more Humanoid version but hey this has potential and I cannot wait to see what we get for a Vampire.

Amon

Ember Demon
Apr 14, 2012
Somewhere
subterraneangames.com
Thanks, Tommonius. Personally, I don't really want to change the Strigoi. However, I will probably need to remove the 'occaisionally drinks from the Blood Pool/Fountain'... Even if that would be funny to see...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom